Original Metal/Metalcore track - Modern II

Glennski

Modern II amp using 'Clark Kent's Perfect IR', across probably the last 6 major firmware revisions haha, I've been working on and off for the last year due to time constraints! Feedback will be appreciated!

Drums are SSD4 Terry Date, Bass is Trillian and guitar is my Ibanez RG1527

Cheers!

Glenn

Nice riffs dude! Those tones are pretty spectacular as well. Would only recommend making the bass wider with 1-2db more on around 150hz. Sounds really great!

Nice riffs dude! Those tones are pretty spectacular as well. Would only recommend making the bass wider with 1-2db more on around 150hz. Sounds really great!

Thanks for that! I'll give it a go - my monitoring situation is a bit crap atm so it's hard to hear. I do heaps of cutting around the low mids as I've always had trouble keeping it under control but I've gone too far this time!

Feedback will be appreciated!

I don't mean this to sound rude, but, crap, where the hell is the bass guitar? This mix is more bass neutered than And Justice For All.

I thought it was just guitars and drums until I saw that you listed Trillian as your bass guitar.

This mix is somewhat like a Watch Tower mix. I can hear the bass....and there's so much space between it and the guitars you can hear most everything of each. The bass tone is soft in the attack, so it seems lesser. Rather than a blended mix, I might think you want a textured one, so there may not be much room. Perhaps volume with the bass, but eq with the guitars, and close the space cross-wise.

Came back to this thread to listen to it on my studio monitors. I can say that I hear the bass a tiny bit more, but it still lacks so much punch and low-end.

I also remembered a band that used Trillian bass, like you do, and how they got their bass sound. It's a pretty frickin' awesome bass tone for a VST.

Here's the video so you can use it as a reference:

This mix is more bass neutered than And Justice For All.

Lol, not rude at all infact I chuckled heartily. But I'll have to say that I think you're exaggerating just slightly. The palm mutes provide the only musical bass frequencies on that album, I'm pretty sure mine isn't that bad!

Here's an excerpt without bass for contrast:

I also remembered a band that used Trillian bass, like you do, and how they got their bass sound. It's a pretty frickin' awesome bass tone for a VST.

Also I need to make a correction - the bass isn't Trillian, it's FTS Edge Bass and because I'm lazy I used a preset, preset 4 to be exact! Sorry for the mixup. Thanks for the link to the video, sounds awesome and I definitely will use that one as a reference for the next mix template. I have used Trillian on heaps of other stuff though, this one for example: I hope this one meets with a bit more approval :)

This mix is somewhat like a Watch Tower mix. I can hear the bass....and there's so much space between it and the guitars you can hear most everything of each. The bass tone is soft in the attack, so it seems lesser. Rather than a blended mix, I might think you want a textured one, so there may not be much room. Perhaps volume with the bass, but eq with the guitars, and close the space cross-wise.
Yeah the VSTi I used mentioned above has a lot of processing and distortion and I probably should have started by trying to get it a lot more up-front and featured in the mix. I guess I should have spent a lot more time finding the right IR for the guitars to get it to match, rather than 'I like this guitar tone and this bass tone separately, let's just throw them together' approach.

Lol, not rude at all infact I chuckled heartily. But I'll have to say that I think you're exaggerating just slightly. The palm mutes provide the only musical bass frequencies on that album, I'm pretty sure mine isn't that bad!

Also I need to make a correction - the bass isn't Trillian, it's FTS Edge Bass and because I'm lazy I used a preset, preset 4 to be exact! Sorry for the mixup. Thanks for the link to the video, sounds awesome and I definitely will use that one as a reference for the next mix template. I have used Trillian on heaps of other stuff though, this one for example:

Glad that there was no offense taken. Yes, I was exaggerating a bit about the AJFA reference.

The Trillian example sounds better, but the bass and drums are still lacking. IMHO, the guitars are too prominent. That song reminded me of Trivium a little.

Compare their song "Into the Mouth of Hell We March" with yours and hear how the bass and drums are more upfront than your mix. It's just a matter of time and experience. You'll get there.

It's just a matter of time and experience. You'll get there.

tfw I'm not there...

Well if I can pick your brain for 2 minutes in order to hopefully save myself some time.... Any recommendations for a good IR or 2 to get me in the ballpark of these mixes, or a cab pack I should purchase (I have none)? In the Trillian example I was trying to emulate a sound like this:

Which seems to have a permanently cocked wah type of sound, so I just boosted ~800hz heaps. But it starts to sound grating after a while, so I'm definitely looking to get closer to something like the Auras sound.

Well if I can pick your brain for 2 minutes in order to hopefully save myself some time.... Any recommendations for a good IR or 2 to get me in the ballpark of these mixes, or a cab pack I should purchase (I have none)? In the Trillian example I was trying to emulate a sound like this: Which seems to have a permanently cocked wah type of sound, so I just boosted ~800hz heaps. But it starts to sound grating after a while, so I'm definitely looking to get closer to something like the Auras sound.

I would recommend Cab Pack 14. I'd especially point you to the Recto and Recto New cabs in that pack. I'd look at IRs in that cab pack with a SM57 & R121 combo or just a SM57.

As far as amps, I gotta recommend the RECTO1 RED MDRN or the PVH 6160 BLOCK. Also, and this is crucial to the tone, a T808 OD drive block boosting the front end of the amp block.

I'd also recommend just sticking with the traditional amp tone controls and don't go adding any graphic/para EQ. Experiment with what the amp can do on it's own, like a real tube head.

Lastly, and this is during the mixing stage in your DAW after you've already recorded your tracks, I'd never boost 800Hz. With distorted guitars, always think subtractive EQ. I always do a wide scoop (Q of 1) between 600 to 800Hz. This is known as the cardboard zone and will instantly make your guitars and mix breathe better. High-pass is a must. Anywhere from 60 to 140Hz. I personally always use a multi-band compressor on my distorted guitars. I use Waves C6. This helps clamp down on the lower frequencies that get excited from time to time without completely neutering your guitars. They stay meaty and only get compressed when they reach a threshold that you designate.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
tfw I'm not there...

Well if I can pick your brain for 2 minutes in order to hopefully save myself some time.... Any recommendations for a good IR or 2 to get me in the ballpark of these mixes, or a cab pack I should purchase (I have none)? In the Trillian example I was trying to emulate a sound like this:

Which seems to have a permanently cocked wah type of sound, so I just boosted ~800hz heaps. But it starts to sound grating after a while, so I'm definitely looking to get closer to something like the Auras sound.

I'm pretty sure if you go to the Chango Studios page you can by the Chango Twango Bass presets for Pod Farm (amongst other bass presets) which Cameron Mizell uses on almost all of his stuff (including the above song). Its not my cup of tea personally, but if you are looking for that sound why not go to the source haha. Its essentially a variation of the Nolly Smacky Bass preset, which mixes a guitar amp with a bass amp.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure it will! Thanks heaps! Off to buy cab pack 14 :) And I'll give the 6505 a go since I used to own one, was using modern II because the idea of a 'made up' amp sounded cool.

I'm pretty sure if you go to the Chango Studios page you can by the Chango Twango Bass presets for Pod Farm (amongst other bass presets) which Cameron Mizell uses on almost all of his stuff (including the above song). Its not my cup of tea personally, but if you are looking for that sound why not go to the source haha. Its essentially a variation of the Nolly Smacky Bass preset, which mixes a guitar amp with a bass amp.

Don't own pod farm but I'll have a go at reamping through the axefx. Standard practice seems to be multing the bass DI and processing highpassed tracks with varying amounts of distortion, which sounds kind of like what you're talking about. Thanks for the tip!

I'll give the 6505 a go since I used to own one

If you're going to be using the PVH 6160 BLOCK amp model, may I suggest a few tips with that amp?

Input Drive: 4 to 5
Bass: 5 to 6
Mid: 2
Treb: 4 to 5
Pres: 8
Depth: 7
Master Volume: 2 to 3

Those settings are for the actual numbers, not clock values. The secret sauce with that amp is the Presence and Depth controls. Get those knobs cranked up and it makes that amp come alive!

Also, some general settings for the TS 808 drive block running in front the amp block.

Drive: 1.5
Tone: 5
Level: 6

Back
Top Bottom