Original Axe-Fx-Std.. so I lost all my presets..

Ericbr1

Inspired
Hi guys, I'm sure anyone reading this will definitely snicker and shake your head, but I just need your help PLEASE. I was 1 of the earliest buyers of the original Axe-FX, as I quickly realized Cliff was a genius .. I loved it and used it about a year, but just spent too much time tweaking and programming so ending up using it for fx only and using my tube amps for my bands,etc. SO, long story short, I finally decided to upgrade firmware today. .I went from version 2something to version 11. Being the idiot I am , I didn't back up any of my programs, and lost everything. .I can't figure out how to reload presets. I got the 'good checksum' message and everything looks fine but have NO PRESETS left.. I'm trying to xfer the Bank A and B but it's not working and I don't understand it.. If someone can help me, I'll treat you really well if you're ever in Vermont! :) Please help..... I've tried to reload presets the past 2 hours, using a Windows 7 computer, and Midi-ox, and a Midisport 2x2. Anyway I'd be really appreciative if someone could dummy down instructions and help me. Thanks, Eric

You want your presets back or the factory presets? If you didn't back your presets up, it's not going to be possible to get them back. But if you just want the factory presets, start with the download bundle here:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloa...rd-ultra/11.0/axefx-standard-preset-banks.zip

And then use MIDI-OX to transfer the bank files in that zip to the unit. Nothing to do except open up MIDI-OX, set it to use your MIDI-Sport as the MIDI device and, with the MIDI-Sport connected to the Axe-Fx Standard load and play the bank file using MIDI-OX. It'll take a while, but when it's done, the Axe-Fx should have the bank loaded.

It's been a long time since I've had to think about how to do this with an outboard MIDI device. Hopefully that's mostly correct.

HI and thanks, this is exactly what I've been trying the past few hours , but the Axe-Fx isn't getting updated. The Midi-ox says things got sent, but the Axe-Fx has 383 BLANK presets. . I don't know what I'm doing wrong . Eric

Is the MIDI in light on the AF lit when the bank file is being sent? Should be glowing solid.

Yes it is. . Am I supposed to have the button on the Midisport on "USB" or "Midi Thru"? I've tried each option , and also have unplugged cables, and replugged cables, etc. . I hate to feel so stupid, but it's not working .. ha

USB. Button should be on USB.

Do you have the Send cable of the MIDISport connected to the MIDI In jack on the AF?

Thanks, yes, I have it set on USB, and a midi cable going from the Midi Out A on the Midisport to the Midi IN on the Axe-Fx. . . I'm going to try it on a different computer tomorrow (I'm on the East Coast and am getting very tired now after trying this for 3 hours!) .. NOthing is updating the Axe-Fx at all . 383 blank presets. sigh

Thanks, yes, I have it set on USB, and a midi cable going from the Midi Out A on the Midisport to the Midi IN on the Axe-Fx. . . I'm going to try it on a different computer tomorrow (I'm on the East Coast and am getting very tired now after trying this for 3 hours!) .. NOthing is updating the Axe-Fx at all . 383 blank presets. sigh

I use a Midsport 2x2 and Windows 7, but use Axe edit (version 1.0.191) to transfer patches and/or bank files to my AxeFx Standard..I seem to remember that you need 2 Midi cables not just one. One cable is connected from Midi Out A of Midisport to Midi In on Axefx, and the other cable is from Midi In A on Midisport to Midi Out on AxeFx. In the AxeEdit software "settings", check that AxeFX Midi I/O input and output settings are selecting the correct Midisport Channel A in/out, and the run the "Test Connection" button. This should test if you PC/Midisport/AxeFx/Midi cable connections are all working correctly.

Do you have the latest Standard firmware installed?
If it's older than the version on which the factory presets are based, the presets may not show up.

Do you have the latest Standard firmware installed?
If it's older than the version on which the factory presets are based, the presets may not show up.

Hi, well yes, that's what caused this problem. I just upgraded the firmware to the latest version and no longer have presets. If I need a 2nd midi cable , that would definitely be an issue, as I'm only using the usb cable and 1 midi cable (so far) . . Eric

I use a Midsport 2x2 and Windows 7, but use Axe edit (version 1.0.191) to transfer patches and/or bank files to my AxeFx Standard..I seem to remember that you need 2 Midi cables not just one. One cable is connected from Midi Out A of Midisport to Midi In on Axefx, and the other cable is from Midi In A on Midisport to Midi Out on AxeFx. In the AxeEdit software "settings", check that AxeFX Midi I/O input and output settings are selecting the correct Midisport Channel A in/out, and the run the "Test Connection" button. This should test if you PC/Midisport/AxeFx/Midi cable connections are all working correctly.

THANK YOU.. Yep I needed the 2nd cable. I don't understand why I needed a midi-out cable from the Axe-fx though?? Is this why I lost all my presets in the first place ? Anyway , yep now I was just allowed to xfer Bank A presets, and now I'm going to do Bank B. Thank you SO much. . Eric

THANK YOU.. Yep I needed the 2nd cable. I don't understand why I needed a midi-out cable from the Axe-fx though?? Is this why I lost all my presets in the first place ? Anyway , yep now I was just allowed to xfer Bank A presets, and now I'm going to do Bank B. Thank you SO much. . Eric

Did you try this with the most recent bank files? Banks downloaded or backed up from firmware 2.xx wouldn't have the correct sysex ID for later firmwares, which would prevent utilities like MIDI-Ox from transferring them. The fix is to alter the sysex ID bytes, which Axe-Edit will do automatically.

It should have been possible to send a bank with a 1-way connection using Axe-Edit, if you only select a MIDI Out port. If you selected an in port but didn't have a connection for it, AE may have been endlessly sending a firmware query.

Did you try this with the most recent bank files? Banks downloaded or backed up from firmware 2.xx wouldn't have the correct sysex ID for later firmwares, which would prevent utilities like MIDI-Ox from transferring them. The fix is to alter the sysex ID bytes, which Axe-Edit will do automatically.

It should have been possible to send a bank with a 1-way connection using Axe-Edit, if you only select a MIDI Out port. If you selected an in port but didn't have a connection for it, AE may have been endlessly sending a firmware query.[/QUOTE

Well I assume everything on the Fractal support/download site was the final version for the Axe-Fx Std. The Firmware and the 2 banks were taken from this site. With the 1 usb cable from the midisport 2x2 to the computer and the 1 going midi out A from the midisport 2x2 to the midi-in on the AXE-FX , and using Axe-Edit, it appeared to be sending the bank, BUT the Axe -Fx wouldn't receive it. Only midi out A was chosen on axe-edit's 'settings' . . In fact the "Test" showed 'no connection". . When I hooked up the 2nd midi-cable , and designated the 2 ins and outs in Axe-Edit's settings, it worked simple as pie. . I don't understand enough of this midi-stuff to describe it any better unfortunately! I wish somewhere it would've told me I would lose every single preset doing this, but I read notes and forums over and over and it just said, some wouldn't sound right and would need to be tweaked. . . Of course that's obvious but didn't think they'd all disappear. Anyway, it was a learning experience, and I'll never again do something like that without backing things up, AND now it'll be fun to start programming over anyway :) Thanks Eric

Back
Top Bottom