Organizing the grid and patches. Best practises

yek said:
I like that Send/Return thing, makes it easier to see and troubleshoot.
Going to use that too.

Arjan, what are your Studio compressor settings?

Hallo yek (ben ook Nederlands ;) ),

I use a ratio of around 1.5 and medium attack/release settings. I set the threshold so that it reduces max 2-3 dBs just to smoothen things out.

Arjan said:
yek said:
I like that Send/Return thing, makes it easier to see and troubleshoot.
Going to use that too.

Arjan, what are your Studio compressor settings?

Hallo yek (ben ook Nederlands ;) ),

I use a ratio of around 1.5 and medium attack/release settings. I set the threshold so that it reduces max 2-3 dBs just to smoothen things out.

:)

Ha, thanks Arjan.

Descripton, picture and downloadable patch in the first post updated to current situation.

yek said:
Delay blocks in parallel rows are set to 100% Mix and bypass mode Mute FX In. Global EQ is flat. Layout Mixer level is always zero. Power amp and Cabs are on. Grouped effects (which means that only one of them can be active): Chorus/Detune/Rotary, Phaser/Vibe, and Delay1/Delay2. Noise gate set per patch.

Hi yek,

how do you group effetcs? Do you need a special footcontroller for that (LP ...)?

Thanks - Michael

Michael said:
yek said:
Delay blocks in parallel rows are set to 100% Mix and bypass mode Mute FX In. Global EQ is flat. Layout Mixer level is always zero. Power amp and Cabs are on. Grouped effects (which means that only one of them can be active): Chorus/Detune/Rotary, Phaser/Vibe, and Delay1/Delay2. Noise gate set per patch.

Hi yek,

how do you group effetcs? Do you need a special footcontroller for that (LP ...)?

Thanks - Michael

yes that's right. But you can mimic it, if your controller supports multiple CC's per switch.
Just program a simultaneous OFF value for fx you want to disable automatically when enabling another effect. Grouping does the same but easier.

Great info - thanks! Waiting for the Fractal-controller, i'm still using a FCB1010, which actually is able to send multipls CCs.

All the best - Michael

Just read through this thread. Nice work Yek.

I would like to see how your gordius is set up. What expression pedals do you use?

GuitarDojo said:
Just read through this thread. Nice work Yek.

I would like to see how your gordius is set up. What expression pedals do you use?

Sure!

I use two pedals, both from Mission Engineering. One for the wah (auto-engage). And one to control the speed of tremolo, rotary and vibe, or for something else with specific patches (like Whammy).
Version 2 of the Gordius controller supports 4 controllers (which may be expression pedals or switches).

The text below is derived from a previous post of mine on the Gordius forum.

--------

My goal: flexibility meets pre-programmed ease. So my controller setup is preset-based as well as flexible (instant access possibilities). I don't use the controller's Song mode.

I have 13 switches that can be freely assigned to whatever PC's, CC's, a combination, etc.). Plus two Bank Up/Down switches, and two DirectBank switches which enable me to quickly jump from any bank to one of two banks with often used commands.

Switches 1, 2 and 3: these are my main "amp select" switches. I use them to switch between my main Axe-Fx patches with different amp sims (less than 10). These are global switches, which means that they are duplicated automatically in every bank.
Switch 1 (Clean) recalls the Fender Deluxe. Switch 2 (Crunch) the Euro1. Switch 3 (Hi-Gain) the Euro2.
And because the controller supports multiple presses on the same switch, I can press switch 1 TWICE to recall the Vox AC30TB. Consecutive presses on switch 2 recall the Plexi2. And on switch 3 the Conford, Uberschall and Brown.

Switch 4 (global) is my DRY ("panic") switch. It isn't assigned to a specific patch, it just disables all effects (except Amp, Cab, PEQ) within the current patch.
It also is my TUNER switch. If I press this switch twice, it switches on the controller's tuner display mode and activates the Axe-Fx tuner (muted). Pressing it again disables the tuner mode and returns to normal operation.

Switches 5, 6, 7 and 8 are bank-specific, dedicated to songs. I use one bank per song and never use more than 4 patches per song. I sort the banks according to the playlist.
The first 6 banks are filled with various patches, not linked to songs.

Switch 9 (global) is assigned to both the FILTER2 and DRIVE2 blocks. In my setup FILTER2 is a 10dB level boost (Nullfilter) just before the amp. It's just like the Boost switch in the Amp block but this one's switchable. Result: extra gain. I use this to simulate the boost switch on the Bogner (Euro) amps. In clean amp patches I replace FILTER2 with a DRIVE2 block, set to Tube Drive. This switch controls both blocks.

Switch 10 (global) is assigned to DRIVE1. This is set to a TS808 in my dirty amp patches, and to a BB in my clean patches.

Switch 11 (global) is a special one. It activates my "SOLO" mode. It doesn't actually send a PC to switch patches on the Axe, but it just enables (within the current patch) FILTER1 (for a gain boost, see above), DELAY1 and FILTER2 (for more volume). This approach lets me create lead tones on the fly. Or if I want a lead tone with another amp, I first press one of the amp switches (1, 2 or 3) and then kick on SOLO. So it's easy to switch to whatever lead tone at any moment.

Switch 12 (global) switches DELAY1 on/off.
Switch 13 (global) switches DELAY2 on/off.

The DIRECT1 bank is always just one click away and contains instant switches for the remaining individual effects (Phaser, Vibe, Chorus, Rotary, Detune, Flanger, RingMod, Tremolo etc.), plus a momentary Tap Tempo switch. Just like a pedalboard. Of course this amount of ready-available effects per patch requires an Ultra!

The Direct2 bank contains a couple of presets that I want quick access to.

Some effects are "grouped" in the controller. For example: in a group with Chorus, Detune and Rotary, only one of these effects can be active at on time. Activating one of them will automatically disable the other ones.

I run only one cable from the ground to the Axe. The LG can run MIDI IN and OUT plus power through a single custom MIDI- cable.

Laedan Kiana said:
:shock:

Damn Yek...........How long did it take you to set all that up??

Controller wise that is..?

The initial setup takes time (a day).
But it's not difficult with the editor, much easier than programming an All Access using its switches for example.

And after the initial setup all editing becomes a breeze. I make song-specific sounds on the controller, not on the Axe. I can make hundreds of different patches using just one Axe-Fx preset, because I include many effects in every patch. I select one of my specific amp patches (which points to a Axe-Fx preset), enable/disable effect blocks in the editor and save it as a song-specific patch. This doesn't require me to use Instant access switches on the controller (it's pre-programmed), but if I want I still can do that on the fly.

So the controller is the command center.

I've been trying to figure out how I could shift more control to my LF Jr without making a huge mess and you've shed a lot of light on it. Thanks yek!

Currently, I have a Clean, a Crunch, and a full on gain patch. Then I use a stomp on each for a lead that will match up with the basic sound (boost, drive, delay, etc...). I still end up with song specific patches, but I think I can utilize some of the methods to tame some of those.

It would be cool to see a video of your setup and be able to hear you play as you pass through some of these IA's and patches.

GuitarDojo said:
It would be cool to see a video of your setup and be able to hear you play as you pass through some of these IA's and patches.

Okay, I made a quick-and-dirty video about how I operate the Little Giant in combination with the Axe-Fx.

Not streamed yet, but you download it here.

Thanks Yek, great tutorial--mine froze at 12:40--not sure if it's just my bad download...I'll try it again.

Second download worked perfectly. Thanks again.

Had to use Firefox rather than Safari...

Back
Top Bottom