Organizing Presets

blaide

Had the FM3 for a month. My first Fractal product. Love it so far!

How do you guys organize your FM3 presets? Do you just use the upper memory locations and leave the factory ones where they are? Or did you move all the factory presets? If you moved them, how did you do it?

Also, does installing the new beta firmware load the factory presets again or is that a separate download/install?

Thanks!

I move my favorites to the upper slots (then delete it if it's a factory preset). I use FM3 edit mostly to rearrange because you can do it much more quickly (and clean up unused slots). I reserve the last 10 or so slots for any set list of presets needed. I do believe new firmware resets it all (that's why you need to back up your presets before updating). I will also add that I don't delete (such as completely) any factory preset as I've revisited too many that I initially passed over and come to really appreciate it (most recently 5F8, Tucana II, Bludojai).

I maintain about 3 empty slots between the remaining factory presets and my select list. That way I have a handy place to easily copy something that catches my ear for either further evaluation or to work into my list later on.

...I do believe new firmware resets it all (that's why you need to back up your presets before updating).
Nope, it never touches the presets.

You have to manually reset the amp blocks, either channel by channel by right-clicking it in the preset view and selecting reset block channel, or by opening the Preset Manager and right clicking the presets you want to reset and selecting the last(?) entry to reset the amp blocks, which does all the channels in the blocks. You'll need the Cygnus version of FM3-Edit to reset the amp blocks in the Preset Manager, which should be available shortly.

We back up the presets prior to switching to the beta in case it goes rogue. If you need to revert to the previous firmware you have the matching presets for it.

I cleared it completely and loaded the factory presets from number 128. Presets starting from 1 are my main live presets.

After going through and saving blocks of things I found appealing, I cleared the factory presets, then created a couple basic templates from which I use, so as to never have to start from scratch, can easily load block settings from library and tweak from there or simply start manipulation of the template.

After 8 years in the FAS environment, this seems to work best for me.

Now we just need global blocks for the FM3 hopefully someday :)

How do you guys organize your FM3 presets? Do you just use the upper memory locations and leave the factory ones where they are? Or did you move all the factory presets? If you moved them, how did you do it?

Also, does installing the new beta firmware load the factory presets again or is that a separate download/install?
It's kind of like organizing a disk drive; Everyone does it differently, so do what makes sense to you.

The factory presets are bundled separately. I recommend doing a full backup when people first connect the modeler to their computer so they can revert to the factory settings easily. Then they also have all the factory presets and can reinstall them or move them around.

Fractal will probably be reissuing a new set of factory presets because Cygnus-based amps, drives, reverbs and cabs need some tweaks to sound their best.

Nope, it never touches the presets.

You have to manually reset the amp blocks, either channel by channel by right-clicking it in the preset view and selecting reset block channel, or by opening the Preset Manager and right clicking the presets you want to reset and selecting the last(?) entry to reset the amp blocks, which does all the channels in the blocks. You'll need the Cygnus version of FM3-Edit to reset the amp blocks in the Preset Manager, which should be available shortly.

We back up the presets prior to switching to the beta in case it goes rogue. If you need to revert to the previous firmware you have the matching presets for it.
Good to know. Thanks.

OK, so I used Preset Manager and selected 38 upper presets, right click - Copy, and then pasted them starting a 000. I clicked Save and it started copying them until it got to 017 where its been sitting there for 40 minutes. This is still with 3.02.

Now what?

Sometimes FM3 Edit hangs up. You'll probably have to shut it down and restart. You most likely haven't lost any presets. It's just questionable of which location they might be in. You might want to copy in smaller blocks (I usually move no more than 5-10 without issue).

Note: I've had times when FM3 Edit indicates a different preset order than what the unit indicates (obviously the unit is to be trusted). If that happens, in FM3 Edit, go to Settings > Refresh after... and it should synch up.

Back
Top Bottom