Organising presets for live use with MFC101

Sorbz62

Hi fellas,

I have just bought a used Axe-FXII XL+ and MFC101 MkIII and it sounds superb! I have got to grips already with programming my own presets, Axe-Edit and so on.

My simple first question is how does everyone organise their presets for using live with their MFC. Do you copy them into slots 001 onwards and then use the default MFC setup to recall them? Or do you leave them wherever they are (eg 276 or 502 etc) and program the MFC to recall them?

Cheers in anticipation,
Jim

The MFC can be programmed to work with setlists. Which seems like a good easy work flow, especially if you're a cover band playing multiple setlists for several hours. Since I don't play in a cover band and because I'm very lazy I just print my preset numbers next to the songs on my setlists. :D

And all my own presets are generally programmed in the beginning, starting from 000

I have all of mine grouped together. I use 11 presets, each with multiple scenes, up to 8. I have my MFC 101 set to have 8 presets in scene mode, and I have 6 or 8 left over for "stomp box" mode for delay, pitch, overdrive, chorus, etc.

I know this was moved into the MFC forum but it was really a general question on how everyone uses their presets - whether using the MFC , GCP or whatever midi controller.

I use setlist! Works awesome as my band changes up the setlist just about every gig! I define MFC switch 1-4 for one song(some songs use 2-4 presets some only one). Switch 5 is defined for changing Scenes(1-2).
I use the bank up down to change to next song(down). I only have to use the bottom row for easier access. This is great for me because I have 1-4 presets for every song(nailing the original sounds for each cover tune).

Singer I been with for a long time is a nightmare when it comes to set lists. Depends on what girl he wants to impress in the room at that moment to what song he wants to play next. Real pain in the ass. So set lists per say are out of the question for me. I move my presets into 00-384 so they can be accessed by the MFC, not really in any order. Then for the sake of sanity I use an iPad app called SetListMaker that has all the songs we play in one list. With this app I can program a midi change for the song in the list. I just select a song and click the corresponding midi button to get me on the start scene for that preset. Mind you this doesn't help me any switching to one of 7 guitar tunings. So less tap dancing and SOS guitar changes and tuning. If you do the same sets all the time just switch them up I would agree that MFC edit is the way to go.

Singer I been with for a long time is a nightmare when it comes to set lists. Depends on what girl he wants to impress in the room at that moment to what song he wants to play next. Real pain in the ass. So set lists per say are out of the question for me. I move my presets into 00-384 so they can be accessed by the MFC, not really in any order. Then for the sake of sanity I use an iPad app called SetListMaker that has all the songs we play in one list. With this app I can program a midi change for the song in the list. I just select a song and click the corresponding midi button to get me on the start scene for that preset. Mind you this doesn't help me any switching to one of 7 guitar tunings. So less tap dancing and SOS guitar changes and tuning. If you do the same sets all the time just switch them up I would agree that MFC edit is the way to go.
Wow, that's really a drag! Great solution however! You should look into the Antares ATG‑1. You could have your alternate turnings switch with your MIDI changes.

Hi fellas,

I have just bought a used Axe-FXII XL+ and MFC101 MkIII and it sounds superb! I have got to grips already with programming my own presets, Axe-Edit and so on.

My simple first question is how does everyone organise their presets for using live with their MFC. Do you copy them into slots 001 onwards and then use the default MFC setup to recall them? Or do you leave them wherever they are (eg 276 or 502 etc) and program the MFC to recall them?

Cheers in anticipation,
Jim
Hi I appreciate time has moved on but I’m just joining the fractal Neighbourhood with an Axe-FX 2 and MFC -101 now this is a real basic question but can somebody just help me understand how I can arrange my first five patches something like 1 - clean fender 2 - crunch Marshall 3 - lead messa etc just a basic explanation and I’ll be on my way - thanks

Hi I appreciate time has moved on but I’m just joining the fractal Neighbourhood with an Axe-FX 2 and MFC -101 now this is a real basic question but can somebody just help me understand how I can arrange my first five patches something like 1 - clean fender 2 - crunch Marshall 3 - lead messa etc just a basic explanation and I’ll be on my way - thanks
If you haven't already, make a complete backup of your unit, just in case you accidentally erase anything.

Axe-Edit.... 'Tools' tab (at the top), select 'Axe-Manage Presets' in the drop-down menu, From there you can drag-and-drop, cut, copy and paste presets in any order that you wish, then save the results. And while in the 'Axe-Manage Presets' tool you can also right-click on any preset/slot to export and/or import any preset from the above mentioned 'back-up'.

I recommend putting your live/working presets in the first slots.

Perfect & thanks so I need to arrange them on the Axe-FX rather then the foot controller, I get that, I take it if I modify existing patches when I save my changes I'll wipe something else out? Example if I take a patch lets say 25 and move it to 1, I'll loose the original patch 1?

Perfect & thanks so I need to arrange them on the Axe-FX rather then the foot controller, I get that, I take it if I modify existing patches when I save my changes I'll wipe something else out? Example if I take a patch lets say 25 and move it to 1, I'll loose the original patch 1?
yes. but you can Swap patches on the front panel - hit Store once, then Page right to SWAP.

it's faster to do in Axe-Edit though. i believe the default action when you click and drag presets is SWAP, but you may have to hold ctrl, or alt, or shift to make the word on the cursor change to what you want.

regardless do a full back up first with Fractal-Bot Receive tab.

yes. but you can Swap patches on the front panel - hit Store once, then Page right to SWAP.

it's faster to do in Axe-Edit though. i believe the default action when you click and drag presets is SWAP, but you may have to hold ctrl, or alt, or shift to make the word on the cursor change to what you want.

regardless do a full back up first with Fractal-Bot Receive tab.
Thanks a million

Back
Top Bottom