Organ-ish sustain assistance?

wake911

Experienced
What's up. I'm working on a rock organ-ish patch....using octave up and down as well as rotary and a plexi to get the slightly distorted sound (like deep purple used to run his keyboards through an amp if I'm not mistaken to get the crunchy tone) It sounds great, but one thing i love about a Hammond is the endless sustain....i can't quite figure out how to start getting the sustain going, but stopping virtually instantly as soon as i take my fingers off the frets....

would a compressor work? I've never really used one much, so don't know how to set one. I'm at work, so i can't upload my patch, sorry....i will once I'm happier with it, and then maybe someone can tweak to make it really kick ass!

but any tips on using the compressor(or any other way to get "organ-ish sustain) would be great, and then I'll test it at a jam session I'm doing tonight, where my main focus is playing the "odd" sounds....Organ, flute, violin, background noises, under a mostly acoustic back drop....should be fun....the "EJ Clean" preset will be used a lot for my clean tones, that'll be perfect in the background

I have used a really squishy compressor before a pitch device... A POG.

Just try a compressor block before the pitch block and play withe the attack and release till happy.

Also a Big Muff can also help with the sustain on the organ sounds... But this might not be what you are after sound wise.

Rock organs with a sustain-y sound? I made sim patches
of two very famous rock organs, the Farfisa and Vox
Continental. The 'sustain' in my patches is actually a function
of the Volume block with an envelope-controlled Level, to cut note attack.

Take a look at how I did these in Axe Edit. It should be a good place
to start for your patch.

Patch discussion/explanation here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-part-ii-smilefans-axe-ii-patch-thread-4.html

And you are right about the Deep Purple organ sound. Jon Lord used to
run his Hammond B-3 into 100W Marshall heads.

Attachments

• Farfisa Organ.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Vox Continental Organ.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom