Ordered My Ultra from G66 - what else do I need?

zerolight

Inspired
Hi guys. Finally ordered my Ultra. This will be my sole "amplifier". I don't gig, sold my rectoverb years ago, and have only a POD XT for tone generation, so expect this to be a big step up. It'll be used in my "studio" and I use the term loosely. I need a set of good headphones at budget prices (I'm using a set of expensive Shure in ear something-5's at the moment). Also need a budget mixer to plug them into, and some cables to connect it all together. Would like a decent expression pedal and foot switch for the two inputs on the Axe. Maybe a set of budget monitors. Oh, and a midi USB interface for the Mac for doing firmware updates. I'm in the UK. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

For the Midi to usb, id get a Midisport Uno
My favorite headphones are the Beyer Dynamic DT770s
Cables - Always Mogami, i think they are much better than monster cables for the same price and same warranty.
For monitors, i really like the Dynaudio stuff
Mixer - depends on if you plan on recording or just want to use it to plug into a PA, if your recording, get an Apogee Duet

pcampolattano said:
For the Midi to usb, id get a Midisport Uno

1st bad advice! :lol:

Dont get the UNO. get the 2x2. The 2x2 is the "officially recommended"; from the horse's mouth. After a two weeks of frustration trying to get the UNO to work on xp, vista and macbook, finally gave up and got the 2x2 and it works like a charm. Slightly more expensive but worth it.

How important are the cables outside of a rack. All i'll have is a guitar lead into Axe, and two patch cables out of the Axe into a mixer. I can't find Mogami in the UK. Settled on a couple of 12" George L's.

For recording I'll be using the digital out.

I had been thinking Midisport 2x2.

Thought about maybe the Behringer Xenyx 502 - cheap, but just for headphones?

There's TONS of tone in the unit. Why bother with "tone-saving" expensive cables? But its your money. :D

I am running two patch cables from the fx send/return to the ART SLA-2 and the o/p 1 goes into a Cheapo behringer UB802. I'm using sony headphones and have eq'd such that the sound through the headphones sound approx close to my 2x12 cabs. I set up some patches just by listening to the headphones and playing them loud needed very little tweaking to sound right. :mrgreen:

For a patch that i want to sound through the ART, I just insert a FX block before the cab block.

Decided on a set of cheap Alesis M1 520 Active monitors. I'm a newb, what cables do I need for those - is that just 1/4" again - do I connect these to the mixer, or direct to the Axe? I'll still get the mixer for the headphones, so advice still sought! Thanks!

emperor_black said:
There's TONS of tone in the unit. Why bother with "tone-saving" expensive cables? But its your money. :D

Lol. I thought the George L's were supposed to be pretty good. I can upgrade to Mogami's later - I'm running out of cash after the Ax purchase. :D

Hi Guys,

Not that there's been an overwhelming interest in my dilemma, but I finally settled on the bits to compliment the Ultra. It's not high end stuff, but it can be upgraded when I can afford to.

So the Ultra is incoming from Sussi at G66 next week.

I've got a pair of 12" George L cables to go between the Ax and the Mixer.

I've ordered the following from DV247:
Mackie 402-VLZ3 Mixer
DCS Pro 2m Balanced TRS cables (not up to Mogami standards, but I can get those cables later, probably imported sadly as they aren't available in the UK.
Alesis M1 Active 520 monitors. These seem to be good bang for buck - having been well reviewed by MusicRadar and SoundOnSound. They were a nice price. Again, if need be I can upgrade down the road.

Ah, balls... I forgot the midisport 2x2. Darn. Ok... back to DV247.

edit: so where was I...

MidiSport 2x2
Standard Midi Cable
Roland EV5 Expression Pedal
Boss FS-5U Unlatched Foot Switch
New Guitar Lead

what a f*ck load of money! :(

Hey cool another axe-fx noob from the UK!

Those euro prices sting at the moment don't they!

Just got my Ultra yesterday to replace an X3 live.

It is a load of money, I agree. But havin played with it for a couple of hours I know that a lot of my fav gear can be sold to justify the expense.

Most suprised to see that I feel I can even let my eventide factors go as the Axe more than holds it own against these.

For the earphones I have an berhinger amp800 headphone amp, it is ok at best but was cheap from DV247. Headphone wise I like the sen HD25-IIs

For fx loop cables I like Lava.

My 2p's worth and as always YMMV

Cheers

BMF

zerolight said:
Cheers BMF. All I have to let go is my PodXt loaded with model packs. It's probably not worth very much. :)

Probably not in comparison to the Ultra, especially as you can not transfer the model packs to another user...they are tied to your account as well as the XT unit... DOH.

Been burnt with that one!

No more, selling all my Line6 stuff and I had ploughed thousands into them only to be shafted with snow leopard support for over 6 months..... so I finally jumped to Axe-FX

Cheers

BMF

I'm fairly sure you can get line 6 support to transfer the model packs to another user. Folk on the L 6 forum have done it.

hmm, ok.

thanks for that I will have to look into it again.

I thought you could not do it due to the model packs being tied to your account as well as the physical hardware.

Cheers

BMF

The other user has to own the physical hardware you sold, but last time I checked, model packs could be transfered with the machine.

I think this works with the XT.

but if you have something like a KB37 or UX2 when they connect it to their computer, or even if you connect it to a new computer you still have to log in to your account to authorise the models on the unit.

I am not sure what would happen with the XT though, if you needed to update the firmware etc... not sure if they would lose the models.

I sold a fully loaded XT to a friend and I managed to transfer the XT ownership to him, but I could not transfer the model packs and they still are in "My Products" on the L6 site. not really an issue as it is a friend so I could do the upgrades and authorise it for him.

I will have another look though.

cheers

BMF

looks like it is still a "no"......

From

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4738

Q: Can I transfer model packs that were installed on a unit before I owned it?
A: No, the model packs are still the property of the previous owner and are still able to be transferred or returned to the home account at their digression. The only way to control the model packs is to have the owner of the account "surrender" the account to the new user by giving them the account name and password.

Q: Can I transfer model packs from my account to a different account?
A: No. While Line 6 hardware can be registered/unregistered from an account, the software (i.e. plug-ins and model packs) cannot be transferred between accounts. The only way to allow a different person to control the model packs would be to "surrender" your account by giving the next owner your user name and password. However, if you have multiple units and/or model packs this is something you will need to consider before surrendering your account.

BadMelonFarmer said:
looks like it is still a "no"......

From

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4738

Q: Can I transfer model packs that were installed on a unit before I owned it?
A: No, the model packs are still the property of the previous owner and are still able to be transferred or returned to the home account at their digression. The only way to control the model packs is to have the owner of the account "surrender" the account to the new user by giving them the account name and password.

Q: Can I transfer model packs from my account to a different account?
A: No. While Line 6 hardware can be registered/unregistered from an account, the software (i.e. plug-ins and model packs) cannot be transferred between accounts. The only way to allow a different person to control the model packs would be to "surrender" your account by giving the next owner your user name and password. However, if you have multiple units and/or model packs this is something you will need to consider before surrendering your account.

Oh. That's changed since the old days. Not really a problem for me - I don't have any other line 6 products so would be able to surrender my account - after ensuring all my details were replaced with theirs!

Back
Top Bottom