Ordered my FM3! Now what?

Had also thought of just getting a Headrush FRFR 112, and use it more like a "real" amp. Obviously monitors for any recording work, but for just hanging out and practicing I thought this might be the way to go.

I should probably point out that I suck and my playing doesn't deserve the quality of gear I'm drawn to, lol. I don't play in a band, don't play out. Used to sit in with friends' bands from time to time. Using this to jump start my playing again. Recording will be 99% me playing with backing tracks so I can play it back and critique myself.
As long as you are having fun, that is all that matters!

Hi guitargeek76,
Sadly, here is one area where money seems to help a lot. For tracking and mixing, I am partial to an English brand called Quested, but many here swear by the Adam monitors - I don't have a pair of them so cannot comment but they sure seem popular.
To me, the best monitors will play your favourite music exactly as you know it should sound.
Thanks
Pauly

Any recommendations on monitors? Ultimately it will depend on my ears, but always good to get a starting point.

I don't necessarily agree with the 2nd part.

Cooper Carter's Fractal courses are well worth the money and can help get many people jump-started.

Maybe they are (CC's classes), however I'm of the opinion that the guy should spend at least a few hours/days/weeks with his new equipment as its already a 100% complete product, and learn it from the manual, or like said by many, the hundreds of freely shared content here on this forum.

The paid 3rd party stuff will still be there in a day/week/month from now if you really want to buy them.

Maybe they are (CC's classes), however I'm of the opinion that the guy should spend at least a few hours/days/weeks with his new equipment as its already a 100% complete product, and learn it from the manual, or like said by many, the hundreds of freely shared content here on this forum.

The paid 3rd party stuff will still be there in a day/week/month from now if you really want to buy them.
I agree.

See my RTFM thread from not too far past:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/rtfm-read-the-fine-manual.159203/

But not everyone learns the same way, and for many the learning process is much easier with a teacher than with a manual.

Being that the OP is in IT, he'll probably be good to go right away...

RTFM is a great tip for sure. I would recommend learning how to operate (floor/pedal) modelers using the onboard controls (not just using the computer editor). Trust me, I learned that the hard way back on my AX8 while trying to edit a patch on the fly during a jam session. :rolleyes:

Why didn’t you just bring your laptop?
Probably should have lol. Though considering the guy trying out the AX8 was a pedal snob (really impressed with my tone btw), it probably would've been an even worse look for me tbh. I did end up killing it when we met again... and I had RTFM.

So many recommended anything by Adam Audio- must be a safe bet.
Leads me to believe that even their entry level stuff is as good as anything else brand new for a few hundred bucks a pair.

But for twice that amount the Genelec 8010a with the 3 inch drivers look perfect for me.
I have my eyes open for a used pair - for $500 cash.

The portability they offer is very important to me.
I don’t need loud volume and my destroyed ears will never notice any lack of bass response.
Playing in mono thru cheap amps when I go over friends houses is exactly the opposite of what I enjoy hearing.
If I can’t have stereo effects I would rather just drink and smoke on the bench.

Last edited:
Had also thought of just getting a Headrush FRFR 112, and use it more like a "real" amp. Obviously monitors for any recording work, but for just hanging out and practicing I thought this might be the way to go.

I should probably point out that I suck and my playing doesn't deserve the quality of gear I'm drawn to, lol. I don't play in a band, don't play out. Used to sit in with friends' bands from time to time. Using this to jump start my playing again. Recording will be 99% me playing with backing tracks so I can play it back and critique myself.
I've been really happy with my headrush frfr 112. Plenty of volume for home use. Great bang for the buck monitor.

I've been really happy with my headrush frfr 112. Plenty of volume for home use. Great bang for the buck monitor.

Agreed. I have a pair of Headrush 108s that pretty happy with. I haven't put them through all of the paces yet, but I'm getting some great "in the room" sounds with them. I compared them volume-wise to my Boss Katana 100 2x12 (which I have used live in a number of situations at REALLY loud volume and easily competes with the other guitarist's 5150 2x12 combo) and it I think this set-up will be fine for gigging.

I reviewed Leon's FRFR video recently and he is absolutely right about the two things: 1) spend some time trying different cab IRs; 2) use a parametric EQ after to tame problem frequencies. Anyway, I'm still working on it, but how it sounds right now is infinitely better than the first time I loaded a patch.

I've worked in IT for 20+ years. I promise to RTFM. ;-)

I do not have a good monitoring setup. Waiting on that until I get my house, where I'll have my own office/mancave. That'll be early next year. For now, either running it through the power section of my TA-30 (I know, not ideal), or with headphones.
Nothing wrong with using your TA-30! Just disable the power amp emulation in the FM3. Will sound kick azz!

Nothing wrong with using your TA-30! Just disable the power amp emulation in the FM3. Will sound kick azz!
Definitely going to try it. Was wondering how much that would color the output since it's not the power section/speakers for whatever amp/cab combo I'm pretending to play through.

Now you do what everyone else is clearly doing-
Put your HX Stomp up for sale on Reverb.

There are 110 currently listed.
Up 1000% since the FM 3 waitlist ended.

I advise doing some research into the modelled amps. Get to know the basics of their headroom, eq, and general characteristics. I recommend doing a YouTube search for “Axe Fx III” + “name of amp/brand”. Leon’s channel is great to get to know big names.
It also only makes sense to get to know the drive blocks as well but amps first.

Back
Top Bottom