Orange RV50 help

Philip34

Experienced
I'm having trouble dialing more than 1 particular sound on the RV50 (basically, drive 6-7, bass & mid at nearly nothing, Treb between 5-6, Pres 0, MV 5-ish).

My frustration is that with the real amp, I feel I had many more options.

With the Axe model, if I increase the mids beyond the bass setting, if flubs. If I increase the bass, the sound has no focus at all. If I increase Treb or add Pres, I get flubby ice picks. If I increase MV, it flubs as well. The only options seem to be with an OD in front or adding an Sm57 to the cab (helps a tad)

I believe Rob Chapman (hope that's his name) has YouTube vids with an RV50, even one with an amazing metal sound & no stomps.

I know Orange amps to be very versatile, but this doesn't seem so. I'm confused.

Any suggestions?

My signal chain: PRS se24 (JB/59)-->AxeFx (RV50 w/ Orange cab)-->ATH-M50 phones

I can only get more of a classic rock sound out of that amp on the Axe. I use the Herbie or 5153 for my metal amps.

I have the Rockerverb 100 and had a similar issue. I wouldn't push the gain past 6.5 depending on your pickups, that's where the low end really starts to fall apart.

I think the model just needs to be revisited by Cliff and the gang. They did it to the Mark IIC+ I believe and it really brought the amp to life.
I would love to see this happen with the Orange because it's really one of the most versatile and uniquely voiced amps out there.

Perhaps a Christmas present from FAS? :D

Hmmm I wonder if Kevin plans to shoot any Orange cab IRs in the future. That would be incredible!

Yeah the orange is cool but never made me feel like playing an actual rocker verb. Maybe it's the 6v6 tubes. Isn't there an el34 rocker verb?

I've tried all of the IRs with the Orange. While many sound great, that isn't whats causing the amp model to lack in authenticity and "accuracy." Incidentally, I (and I'm sure many, many others) would love to have more IRs from Orange cabs.

And yes, the Orange tubes are:

Power amp: 4 x EL34 (Also accepts 6L6, KT88, or 6550 power tubes)
Preamp: 4 x Ecc83/12ax7
Reverb: 2 x Ecc81/12at7
FX loop: 1 Ecc81/12at7

I hope this amp gets the attention it deserves!!! Let's get some more people to speak up about it! :eagerness:

The lack of Oranges is a bit of a bummer on the Axe 2, IMHO, I mentioned it in the Wish List. They are a staple in one of my favorite genres (Stoner). I've gotten a few good sounds with the RV50 but would really like a revisited model and some additional amps from their line up. They are cool products and are a bit underrepresented in Fractal land. :) At some point, I may try some tone matching with one.

I agree!!! I just posted on another thread that we would love to see both channels in the Rockerverb modeled. Maybe revisiting the amp is all it needs!

Speak up fellow Orange lovers! Let's properly get ahold of this incredible amplifier in the Axe!

I like the Orange amp but always find myself going back to either the Jcm or Plexi 50 watt. What Model head is Jimmy Pageusing and does he blend with Marshall ... anyone????

I agree 100%. I used the my rv50 MK1 (6v6) 4 cable with the ultra. Now I use the II direct. Even though I've dialed it in, its just a bit different still. Its been a long time since that model has been visited i think. Its never been mimic'ed as far as I know.

I like the Orange amp but always find myself going back to either the Jcm or Plexi 50 watt. What Model head is Jimmy Pageusing and does he blend with Marshall ... anyone????

IIRC, there have been reports of Page using an Orange AD30H sometimes during recent appearances.

I couldn't agree more. I'm about to convert to the AFX2, BUT that means giving up my precious Orange Thunderverb and all its wonderful (and unique) tones...

that model has no oomph at all, to me. i can't imagine running the bass at nothing, it's so bright.

I also think it needs to be revisited. Great amp, but in the Axe, i have to put a TS pedal before it to give it proper drive.....whereas the real RV 50 has tons of gain. Funny thing is at FW9 i think it was, i had it dialed in pretty good, and something after that changed and it hasnt been the same. More Orange amp models would be nice too..,.

Cool.. i need this in a few days :)
I am recording a band,with the axe fx II. And he owns a Dual Terror.

But then i can say.. see what we will be playing truh.. hehe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom