Orange Rockerverb VS Axe-Fx Experiment: You tell me!

CoryJuba

Inspired
Okay! So I thought I would run a little experiment that I haven't yet seen on the forums. I am running my real Rockerverb and it's Fractal counterpart into the same IR with the same settings (gain: 1 o'clock, bass: noon, mids: 11 o'clock, treble: noon). It's a fairly saturated high gain sound.
The signal path is Guitar -> Amp -> Torpedo Reload -> Axe-Fx (rear input) -> S/PDIF 002 -> Pro Tools. and Guitar -> Axe-Fx (front input) -> S/PDIF 002 -> Pro Tools. There's considerably more low end in the real amp (needs to be tamed). I'd love to perform this some more with different variables. I wonder how other amps stack up... Also would like to try keeping the signal path analog going into the 002 if there is any loss of fidelity. Then use an the same .wav impulse in the DAW.

Pardon the quick, sloppy layers... Just wanted to share ASAP!

Thoughts? Questions? Speak! :)

1399586_10152439579771659_5461691683193356352_o.jpg

Thanks, Cliff! I'll look into that... What's different exactly? I assume the preamp gain staging is the same in both versions, but does it something to do with the power section besides half the wattage?

The whole 50 watt vs 100 watt thing aside I gotta say I love the low end on the third clip. It's sort of letting the low end take over the high end. Really responsive!

The gain structure is the same, but the real amp is (a little bit) fuller and fatter.
Due to the lack/lesser low end, I'd imagine the Axe would fit a mix better...

Listening to crap speakers at work though..

But it sounds really cool.. Both of them. What kind of IR?

Both sound decent, just for the sake of it if you were to try and match both i'd just boost the lows on the Axe.

If you do the Tone Match then please can you upload the results? Would be great to hear the difference before and after. Obviously this does depend on your Tone Matching skills. :)

It's a 2x12 with V30's with a 57/121 blend. However, what I did realize is that I had an off-axis 57 in a parallel block that was yielding some strange results so I am going to re-track the clip omitting that. Also - I've never Tone Matched. Or should I say, never with satisfactory results. I would be happy to try though and share if you could point me in the right direction.

I will share the new clip 'soon.' ;) and also do a low/mid-gain setting.

Really looking forward to the IR's Clark and Fractal are putting out though. These should be the ticket!

I recommended you to do Live Tone Match for that your Original Amp ,if you are looking for get same tone like you have in Original amp. You can definitely hear difference when you have Live Tone Matched that your Original source amp to Axe FX II. I was notice lost of things when i was use that Live Tone Matching feature ,whit my old Mesa Boogie Mark IV amp.

I was have same feelings like you have in that clip ,before i was shoot those Live Tone Matching presets. But that Live Tone Matching feature did give me exactly same results ,like i was have in Original Mesa Boogie Mark IV amp. Here is that my little compare test ,that last clip have exactly same tone like i was have in Original amp. First is Axe FX II without Live Tone Matching feature ,and second is Live Tone Matching engage.

I recommended you to do Live Tone Match for that your Original Amp ,if you are looking for get same tone like you have in Original amp. You can definitely hear difference when you have Live Tone Matched that your Original source amp to Axe FX II. I was notice lost of things when i was use that Live Tone Matching feature ,whit my old Mesa Boogie Mark IV amp.

I was have same feelings like you have in that clip ,before i was shoot those Live Tone Matching presets. But that Live Tone Matching feature did give me exactly same results ,like i was have in Original Mesa Boogie Mark IV amp. Here is that my little compare test ,that last clip have exactly same tone like i was have in Original amp. First is Axe FX II without Live Tone Matching feature ,and second is Live Tone Matching engage.

Whoa! Took out some boxiness. Awesome! I will definitely try that with my Rockerverb and hopefully get some of that low-end thump back!

New clips on the way, everyone!

Yeah try that Live Tone Matching ,you will definitely notice difference. And lets hope you can get good results there.

Whoa! Took out some boxiness. Awesome! I will definitely try that with my Rockerverb and hopefully get some of that low-end thump back!

New clips on the way, everyone!

Here is a sloppy and quick example of the Tone Matching. Didn't have much luck. I hear this weird phasing thing happening. I did a Live TM and this is the result. Also a quick test of the Archon. SO much low end in that amp.

Last edited:
Single mono Archon! Sounds neat. More than enough gain on tap. It's at about 11 o'clock in the clip!

Last edited:
For me personally, there is a clearer sound from the Citrus 50. But it may have to do, that there is less top end in the other clips.
I like top end though. And today my ears are ringing from HIGH volume playing yesterday ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom