Wish Orange/Matamp

LiamH

Inspired
I know a load of work, and not sure if you'd want to dive down the rabbit hole of the FAC control, or some of the Matamp "interactive" tone stack madness. But some classic sounding amps over the years, and not something that I believe is recreated by more modern Orange amps.

Liam

There aren't many schematics out there but the few I could find don't have any kind of "interactive" tone stack. Some have a Baxandall (aka James) tone stack which is more of a Hi-Fi circuit. There are several Baxandall tone stacks in the amp block that you can try.

I wish I had traced a schematic of the one I gigged with for a few years. Mid 90's custom model, and kind of opposite to Baxendall. The treble control turned bass down as well as treble up. The bass did vice versa. The mid control disabled the other 2 if it was much above 6 (like a Marshall, but more so). Getting the same sound 2 nights in a row was all but impossible, but it didn't really matter because it sounded quite amazing. I think they might use the same now in the Matamp GT120. Quirky amp, but I loved it.

The one I never tried was a late 60's Series 2000. Much loved by the recently departed Peter Green, and I'd love to know what made it tick. He got some great tones with it.

Liam

There aren't many schematics out there but the few I could find don't have any kind of "interactive" tone stack. Some have a Baxandall (aka James) tone stack which is more of a Hi-Fi circuit. There are several Baxandall tone stacks in the amp block that you can try.
You should get in touch with Rick Beato he has two Orange amps for the 70s a Matamp and GT120

These are probably absurdly hard to find, but if Cliff models this amp I'll build a little shrine and light him some candles.

Back
Top Bottom