Options with a third expression pedal?

FarleyUK

Inspired
I’ve obtained a third expression pedal - however, I’m not sure what the best thing to use it for is. My existing setup is dual outputs (stereo) to two RedSound LG12s, one spring pedal for wah, one non spring for delay mix.

I can use the scenes or guitar volume knob to control gain, so seems that would be a waste to use the third pedal for volume or gain.

Any suggestions are very welcome!

I use 4...

Spring loaded x2 for Wah and Whammy
Standard x2 for Rotary (autoengage + rate) and Delay (Mix + Feedback)
Yep im pretty much the same 4 pedals. 2 spring loaded for Wah-wah and whammy and one for delay feedback and level, my 4th is a dedicated volume pedal though

I’ve obtained a third expression pedal - however, I’m not sure what the best thing to use it for is. My existing setup is dual outputs (stereo) to two RedSound LG12s, one spring pedal for wah, one non spring for delay mix.

I can use the scenes or guitar volume knob to control gain, so seems that would be a waste to use the third pedal for volume or gain.

I'm surprised you omitted a volume pedal - I use it at the end of the chain so it doesn't affect tonality. After all, as Eddie Van Halen pointed out, the volume control is really a tone control (ergo not really a volume control). I agree.

I have 8 to maximize my expressiveness:
  • Wha
  • Whammy
  • Gain
  • Post Amp time based fx volume.
  • Output Volume.
  • Delay Mix.
  • Mod Parameters (mostly rate).
  • Sustaining signal from freqout pedal

Last edited:
I have 8 to maximize my expressiveness:
  • Wha
  • Whammy
  • Gain
  • Post Amp/Pre time based fx volume.
  • Output Volume.
  • Delay.
  • Mod Parameters (mostly rate).
  • Sustaining signal from freqout pedal
How'd you pull that off? I thought the AFX3/FC12 only supports 4 pedals as controllers. On top of that, how do you keep track of all of that? Do you gig? OMG - the pedal rig onstage must be overwhelming.

How'd you pull that off? I thought the AFX3/FC12 only supports 4 pedals as controllers. On top of that, how do you keep track of all of that? Do you gig? OMG - the pedal rig onstage must be overwhelming.
home music room only - 4 expression pedals through MFC, 2 direct to Axefx, 2 external midi (via old podhd)
1694726050653.jpeg

Last edited:

I use 4 pedals:
Volume
Delay wet/dry mix
Wah
Expression

That last one gets set up with at least two different sound modifications that are separate from the scenes. Sometimes it brings in a chorusy modulation thing up through most of its range with a flangey add-in at the end of the range. Sometimes it tweaks gain/level on an amp block to let me seamlessly turn up the GR-RRR! on whatever amp I am running. Lots of possibilities....

Last edited:
The FC-12 supports 4 and the Axe Fx III supports 2 more...

Interesting thread.... particularly that delay is a popular choice. How are you guys using that? Just when soloing or as an always on effect that you bring in when required with the pedal?

I have 2, a spring-loaded one that's for wah and rarely whammy and an EV-1 that's a volume pedal in every preset but which I only use in a couple of songs, so am thinking I should try some different functions on that pedal

Interesting thread.... particularly that delay is a popular choice. How are you guys using that? Just when soloing or as an always on effect that you bring in when required with the pedal?

I have 2, a spring-loaded one that's for wah and rarely whammy and an EV-1 that's a volume pedal in every preset but which I only use in a couple of songs, so am thinking I should try some different functions on that pedal
I have a 2nd dedicated lead delay block for solo scenes - my exp pedal for delay just adjusts the mix of my rhythm delay block.

For my case I mostly use kitchen sink style presets, so some cases I want just a "light" delay and others I want it much more Eric Johnson ;)

I can get anywhere in between with a movement of the pedal.

I'm mostly a "delay is always on" kind of guy. That's my desert island effect.

Or would it? I have one set to Wah or whammy. One set to add delay mix and feedback plus a slight boost as it goes forward. 3rd pedal morphs between amps.

I've asked for this before... but I would LOVE a Global Volume option controlling the volume just AFTER the Amp Block(s) ( and NO, I'm not meaning the Global Output volume), so I can have trails for whatever effects I put after the Amp block. Current options at Input or Output volume are useless for me, and it would be awesome to have this option for a killer "set and forget" third Exp pedal IMO with the added bonus of the "Tuner at heel down" option mapped to it.

I use 4 pedals:
Volume
Delay wet/dry mix
Wah
Expression

That last one gets set up with at least two different sound modifications that are separate from the scenes. Sometimes it brings in a chorusy modulation thing up through most of its range with a flangey add-in at the end of the range. Sometimes it tweaks gain/level on an amp block to let me seamlessly turn up the GR-RRR! on whatever amp I am running. Lots of possibilities....
👍
Ditto

Seems like people forget you can assign 40 different thing to one expression pedal at the same time. Thats the beauty of presets and scenes. One pedal doesn't need to be wasted on one wha volume or delay mix it can do so much more.

Anyone actually know what if there is a limit of how many controls you can assign to an expression at the same time?

Seems like people forget you can assign 40 different thing to one expression pedal at the same time. Thats the beauty of presets and scenes. One pedal doesn't need to be wasted on one wha volume or delay mix it can do so much more.

Anyone actually know what if there is a limit of how many controls you can assign to an expression at the same time?
There are 32 modifier slots....
MEME2021-06-21-04-22-21.jpg

Back
Top Bottom