Options to power two (stereo) cabs with one device, from FM3.

Xcdchdchjjf

Experienced
I see Ehx has the cheap 50watt "pedal"

I see a lot of people useing the Semour Duncan 200watt pedal here.

Looking to power two Fender 12inch cabs, if there is one device that can do this (stereo out from Fm3, into the device, then into the two cabs).

Not looking to drop a grand on this, but is there anything in the $600 or lower category?

Worst case ill go with the Ehx pedal.

Not sure I understand why you're not considering the PS200? Price?

Because I just grabbed recently a PS700 for CAD$475... not sure also if you're looking for an option in pedal form absolutely?

I was thinking about Isp's Stealth recently to replace my 2 EHX Magnum 44s to power my 2 8Ohm Mesa 112 cabs but decided against it ultimately as I quite like how the EHXs sound. The Stealth is Isp's take on Class H vs the EHXs which are class D. Compared to the EHXs, I like that the Stealth is one unit and rack-able, however, I don't like that it does not have a power switch and only has one output knob for both channels - like the EHXs, probably a bit under powered for a gigging musician depending, but fine for me playing home at lower volumes. Can't seem to part with my EHXs though even though I feel like I'm cheating the Mesa Cabs w V30s which are of hi quality - they (the EHX Mag 44s) are pretty flat - not as much so as my Matrix GT but flat enough to hear the modelling properly into V30s - with my real cabs I actually like the EHXs better than the much more expensive Matrix which I use for FR Cabs that absolutely need a very flat power amp. I'd also like to try two Orange Pedal Babys (Class AB) but I think the price on those is a bit too steep for what they are (would look so cool though racked one over the other). I also had thoughts of trying out the returns of a couple of H+K Stompmans but not sure how flat the power section is going to be on those so maybe good / maybe not. If price was not a factor, then, I guess LXII or 2X Powerstation but then I'm into tubes which I've kinda wanted to stay away from.

Last edited:
I appreciate these SOLID suggestions. I had been looking at a couple mentioned but I may go with the Harvey Benton for the moment, as its the cheapest way to do stereo. Incredible never heard of that one. Literally all of these suggestions and insight were great.

Ok after more reseach I will order the ISP,
will be eagerly awaiting your thoughts after trying it out - tough to get one / try one around here.

Real guitar cabs colour the sound to the flavour of the speaker(s) / cab construction - so, ya - not as versatile in some respects as FR where one can sift through lots of different speaker / cab sounds (IRs) and easily pick the one you like best (gets real expensive doing that with real cabs). But, the OP in that thread also sounds like he's trapped in the typical "why don't I sound like that guy / vid / clip ..." which can be an affliction casued by many factors other than just FR or Real Cab.

will be eagerly awaiting your thoughts after trying it out - tough to get one / try one around here.

Real guitar cabs colour the sound to the flavour of the speaker(s) / cab construction - so, ya - not as versatile in some respects as FR where one can sift through lots of different speaker / cab sounds (IRs) and easily pick the one you like best (gets real expensive doing that with real cabs). But, the OP in that thread also sounds like he's trapped in the typical "why don't I sound like that guy / vid / clip ..." which can be an affliction casued by many factors other than just FR or Real Cab.
Will do... yes... I may order a FRFR also. Then I will test them... I know I prefer full frequency already I was just looking for a cheap way to use these two pristine fender cabs I have, but then once yourse spending $400 for the ISP maybe should go all the way... will find out I suppose...

I also had thoughts of trying out the returns of a couple of H+K Stompmans but not sure how flat the power section is going to be on those so maybe good / maybe not.

I've got a Stompman.

When going in through the FX return with its preamp bypassed, the power section runs in neutral / flat mode - specifically for running a modeller. All the power amp colouring from the sag, presence and resonance components is bypassed. My FM3 sounds pretty good through it.

It's great that the Stompman automatically adjusts its speaker output impedance because I have both 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabs.

I keep going back and forth through the Stompman and my Quilter Mach 3 head to power my FM3 through real guitar speaker (non FRFR) cabs. They sound more or less the same, except for that the Quilter has more power on tap (that I don't really need).

An Axe-Fx with two Stompmans in stereo would be really cool and I've been considering it :)

Last edited:
I ended up getting an ISP Stereo box, to use with two fender cabs, then the two HR108's.

Jury is out though. ... Need to side by side test them. Not totally in love with either option, maybe the ISP needs some break in time. The 108s definitely sounded stale out of the box but after a few hours sounded a little better, more 3D... nice that they weight 20lbs.
They mark up easily though.

I ended up getting an ISP Stereo box, to use with two fender cabs, then the two HR108's.

Jury is out though. ... Need to side by side test them. Not totally in love with either option, maybe the ISP needs some break in time. The 108s definitely sounded stale out of the box but after a few hours sounded a little better, more 3D... nice that they weight 20lbs.
They mark up easily though.
what don't u like about the ISP?

what don't u like about the ISP?
It sounded like cardboard.

However it could need "break in time" or something.

I like everything about it, made in the USA, etc. But I feel like its about to explode or break or something, and dealing with the high voltage (?) seems dangerous.

However I could be totally wrong, I saw a YouTube video the day before I got it and (it was a metal guy) the guy was talking about how great the tone was then played it sounded 1 dimensional. Like cardboard.

Then I got it, plugged it into 2 Fender 112 cabs, and thought it sounded horrible.

However that was all I played of it, and they were basically at my knees, so I should try in a proper setup.

Im sure it is actually very good, but the wormhole of leaving tube amps to modelers and frfr and cab boxes etc... like a whole other "tone journey" I don't think I asked for...

Back
Top Bottom