Options for using real amp in current rig. Help

Billbill

Power User
Hi all,
Need some help and would like to hear some options for how to hook this up, (SLO-30 amp head) into my current rig..

I have been loving what I'm hearing from the Soldano SLO-30 30W amp and have been thinking about getting my hands on one to keep at home and continue using my AxeFx for gigs. The home aka dream rig will incorporate both the axe and slo30. The AxeFx is mainly used for cover material (because most of the tones are SPOT ON obviously lol. And there's the reason of my own personal simplicity I guess we'll call it, example: went to jam the other day and could not connect to axe edit (Mac issue), and sometimes it's just nice to walk away from technology when I need to play. Flip on the amp and go.

My current AxeFx rig is: AxeFxOUT1L/R>MatrixGT1000fxL/Rstereo>OrangePPC212R+OrangPPC212L
Sounds glorious.
Question: How can I incorporate the Soldano SLO30 amp into the rig to run through the cabs that are currently hooked to the matrix without unhooking cables? I'm not sure if the only way is to have to turn the AxeFx on and do the 4CM or having to run through the grid with FXL blocks. I really don't want to run the AxeFx for this just the cabs without unhooking. Or maybe just use the AxeFx for effects. Thanks

The soldano needs to connect to some sort of load, like a real cab or a load box.
Right. So if the Orange cabs are going to the matrix (orange 212 cabs have 2 inputs on each back but mono so I assume that's just for daisy chaining cabs), is there a way to leave everything connected but plugging in something like a splitter to the cabs so the Soldano can run through the cabs as well?

Right. So if the Orange cabs are going to the matrix (orange 212 cabs have 2 inputs on each back but mono so I assume that's just for daisy chaining cabs), is there a way to leave everything connected but plugging in something like a splitter to the cabs so the Soldano can run through the cabs as well?
I don’t think you can run 2 amps into one cab.

I don’t think you can run 2 amps into one cab.
Darn! What other options are there to incorporate the Soldano amp into the rig then? Is this the language of "slaving or 4CM and load box type stuff? I don't know anything about this

Question: How can I incorporate the Soldano SLO30 amp into the rig to run through the cabs that are currently hooked to the matrix without unhooking cables? I'm not sure if the only way is to have to turn the AxeFx on and do the 4CM or having to run through the grid with FXL blocks. I really don't want to run the AxeFx for this just the cabs without unhooking. Or maybe just use the AxeFx for effects. Thanks
You need an amp switcher/selector with cab switching.
My humble opinion based on experience... either enjoy the guitar/SLO30/cab (hooking cables, sorry...) or use 4 CM with SLO30 in S/R block... with some rective dummy load... (no on the fly hooking required). Third option... find an amp emulation close to SLO30 and enjoy... ;)

*Maybe this would be an option to consider. Multi rig using your amp inside fractal.
You can choose how you would want to map out your signal chain... inside fractal... adding another signal path (for your amp) within your preexisting patches.
Use load box on your amp - line level out of load box into Fractal adding your amp into routing layout. Giving options to use your amp "and Fractal amps" and cabinet sims - stereo direct out to house. All mixing done inside Fractal. You could have lots of options this way. Patches just using your amp and Fractal effects and sims... and patches using Fractal amps and sims with a parallel signal path using your amp.
Just ideas to think about. Fractal does all the heavy lifting. (But these would be complex paths and the Fractal would have to keep up. If you have the latest Fractal, you probably wouldn't have issues with power). Harder to explain then to actually do. So I hope that was said in way you can grasp. Everyone here has cool idea's. Maybe someone here can explain it better.

That being said. All my shows have been cancelled because of the pandemic. Maybe yours too. So everything I'm saying seems pointless, but what the heck, might give you some idea's.

*Another option; I use this setup in the studio and live. (Sometimes using back line amps) This is much louder.

I started running two rigs at the same time. 3 lines to house. (Keeping it simple).
I run straight into a Radial A/B pedal. Running "A Side" to Fractal rack, (stereo out to house) and stereo JBL cabinets on stage for me. Radial "B Side" goes into a compressor, Xotic BB pedal into a Bogner Shiva (dry no reverb or delay) mic a oversized Bogner 2x12" Cabinet. (Add a little reverb and effects in house when needed to mono mic signal) Sounds huge.

The Shiva needs to be cranked to sound it's best, and the bands I work with offer that opportunity. Old school musicians who were successful, and don't see any reason to turn down). The JBL's are place on each side of the Bogner Cabinet. So I hear the stereo spread and the thump of the dry cabinet in the middle. A poor man's wet/dry/rig of sorts. (Add the side fill mix and it's crazy big).
If it's a fly gig, I just use Marshalls and 2 full range cabinets (or whatever amp I can get) listed on the rider. I just carry my pedal board and Fractal rack.
*My low volume option for an amp would be... Amp / loadbox/cab sim, run mono direct. Keeping the amp separate from Fractal. Same as using mic but running mono direct. (Total control of stage volume, and sound man adding whatever is needed, reverb and delay spread out front).

Back
Top Bottom