optional 3 year warranty?

violindave

Inspired
Worth it? Likely to need it?

I'm not careless with gear but when you are gigging things can happen. Not expecting to have liquid around the unit except possibly water bottles with cap on, nearby.

The warranty companies can estimate the failure rates pretty accurately and charge you enough to cover that plus an additional 40-50% to cover their overhead, commission to whoever sold you the warranty, and profit. Only get an extended warranty if buying a new AX8 would cause an undue hardship.

I can certainly understand your trepidation Dave. I have been using Fractal gear since 2010 (seven years now) with absolutely no issues. FAS Customer support is outstanding. No one can predict the future, but personally, I would not hesitate to buy more FAS gear. If disaster struck and I lost my AX8, I would purchase another one quicker than you can say Johnny B. Goode. Do what you are most comfortable with Dave and welcome to the FAS family.

I wish I would have got the extended warranty when I purchased my XL+. Might be a different story for the AX8, but shipping is not cheap if you have to ship back to FAS when you're out of your warranty period. (And if you're not in the US, that's a different story altogether.)

I've had to send my XL+ back three times. Once was within the first week or two that I got it where I was getting all sorts of weird freezes and name timeout issues until eventually the unit just wouldn't turn on. I believe I received a different unit to replace that one. Then a couple of months ago I had to send it back because the unit had a faulty power switch and wouldn't turn on. Then a couple weeks later it stopped working again because the power switch that got replaced had different sized connectors to the one that was originally in the unit so they had come loose and again the unit wouldn't power on.

It's supposed to be out for delivery today and I'm fiending pretty hard to get it back into my life. As much as a pain in the ass as it is to send it off for repair and to not have it, I still love my Axe-FX.

Over the last 7 or so years, the only issue ive had with my Fractal gear was the Ethernet jack on both my MFC and my MK1 Axe FX2 breaking off the little clips inside. Theyve since gone away from ethernet, smart move. I purchased the AX8 last year with the warranty as I travel and play a TON. I have yet needed to use it, but time will tell and i doubt i will need to.

@PumpkinKing86 Sorry to here your trouble with the XL+. I have had an ultra that I just got rid off a couple of months ago that had no troubles. I currently have an axe fx II MKII(some time in 2013), 2 AX-8's(received in dec 2015 from wait list), an axe fx XL(early 2014), an mfc MKIII, 2 EV-1's. The only Fractal product I have had trouble with was one of the AX-8's, and it happened with in 6 months of new. Fractal got me took care of with in a week from my support ticket to return of my AX-8, shipping and all(I live in Florida). I my self would take a chance and just buy with the 1 year warranty, Fractal stuff is top notch.

I did it a few weeks before my original warranty was set to expire. Haven't needed it yet. Hope to never need it.

Back
Top Bottom