Optimizing volumes - device by device

MarkShrader

Inspired
I am interested in hearing your thoughts about the best way to approach volume "staging", thus hopefully optimizing the pure quality of the tones on the Axe-FX II.

For example, I have several devices between my guitar and my audience -- and each has their own output volume control: My guitar goes to my Axe-FX II, my Axe-FX II goes to my stereo power amp, and my stereo power amp goes to my powered speaker(s). Sometimes I play from my power amp into Marshall 4x12 cab which simplifies and eliminates one volume stage, but my question still remains: How high should I crank my Axe-FX, how high should I crank my power amp, and how high should I crank my powered speakers... and why?

The answer is pretty simple: set your Axe-FX2 to a level were the hottest signal is just below clipping the next input.

That way you have the best signal-to-noise ratio.

If you don't have trouble with noise floor, you are probably doing it just fine the way you do it.

Z, how would you recommend determining "just below clipping" on a device that has no input monitoring? Is there a metering device or some other pedal that would assist me in finding these optimal input levels?

Not even a clip or overload light? You'll have to use your ears then, to listen for input distortion, then back down from there.

Originally I was powering the 4x12 cab with my Marshall JVM head using the Effects Loop return for the "uncolored" input from the Axe-FX's input. I had my Axe-FX output 1 at about noon (half way) and my master on the head's clean channel at about 9am (about 2 between one and 10). Sometimes the lower strings would get a little farty, so I'd have to play around with different combinations. I've read that the Axe-FX should be all the way up but that seems a bit extreme as well. Again, just looking for the best approach. Thanks for your input!

Nothing says to turn the axe all the way up.

"Unity gain" is achieved with the output volume all the way up and only shunts in the layout. Once you add an amp block (with its level around 0db), you are louder than unity gain, so you need to turn the output knobs down.

I generally have my axe output knob between 9 and 3 o clock depending on the gear I'm using it with.

Chris, that is true about the unity gain and amp block, but do you ever measure the Axe's output or monitor it electronically for clipping? Or do you go strictly by ear?

From the wiki:

To properly gain-stage your system, take the following steps:
  1. Turn down the output level (assuming OUT1 going to amp) on the Axe-Fx.
  2. Turn down the input attenuators on the amp.
  3. Disconnect the cab from the amp (only with solid-state amps! Tube amps need a load at all times).
  4. Open up the amps input levels all the way.
  5. While playing a relatively "loud" preset, SLOWLY turn up the OUT1 level on the Axe until the CLIP lights on the amp light up.
  6. Now, (while still playing) back down the input level on the amp just hair - that could be one click of the knob or one measurement - so that the CLIP light goes off.
  7. Now play real hard and make sure the CLIP light does not come on. if it does, back down the amps input levels another notch.
  8. Turn off power amp, turn off the Axe-Fx.
  9. Reconnect speakers.
  10. Turn on the Axe-Fx, then turn on amp (amps should ALWAYS be switched on LAST and powered down FIRST!).
You have now gain-staged your setup. Will this be the "loudest" it can be? No. But you will not be in danger of blowing speakers, and you should not be introducing any more "noise" in the system than already existed. You should use the Tuner mute to silence the system or the volume knob on your guitar. You should not need to adjust the OUT1 level on the Axe, nor the knobs on the amp.

With the Axe's output level at full, it will deliver a maximum of +20 dBu. Your distorted presets are likely/hopefully somewhat lower than full tilt though.... You can play one of your loud and distorted presets while increasing the gain slider for the output you're using (on the Global page) until the output clip light starts flashing. If you had to add +5 dB of gain you know you were putting out +15 dBu with Axe's output at full.

Is the input of your amp "+4 dBu"? Then +15 dBu is likely a bit loud for such a continuous signal. Pull it down another 5-10 dB and you're in a good spot. If your amp is "-10 dBV", pull it down some 15-20 dB...

I have my global gain slider pulled down, so that no matter how eager I get during a concert, turning up the Axe's output will never clip the amp's input.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom