Optimizing guitar for recording (metal)

Pelikanen

Inspired
My goal is to record an album but I think my guitar is not cutting it. I like the sound of it (when it stays in tune etc) but I wonder if anything can be done about it or if it's better to just buy a guitar with an EverTune and never have to waste time tuning/intonating/lubing again?

The guitar I've played the last 5 years is a LTD EC-401B baritone. Always had issues with making it perform optimally for recording. I spend more time tuning it, intonating, lubing the nut etc than actually playing it. It still has the original nut (a tech says it's a TUSQ nut, and yes I've had it cut) and bridge on it (Tune-O-Matic). I've only changed the machine heads because the plastic bearings got so worn out. I've had it PLEK:ed and the nut was shimmed (the effect of the shimming seems to have worn off though).

Questions:

* My tuning is drop A, strings are D'Addario EXL 13-17-26w-36-46-70, they all stay bright w/ maintenance except for the 70 which goes dead upon touching it once. Is this common? Is it better use a bass string or something?
* Am I supposed to apply Big Bends Nut Sauce in the nut every time before I play? (the 46 in particular gets stuck in the nut and goes sharp). Is the nut badly cut after all?
* The C-clips round the screws on the bridge cause buzz pretty often, is this common or would I be better off some other bridge? My fix is to slack the string, get it off the saddle and go in with a flatheaded screwdriver and flatten the clip against the bridge, is this a bad or good method?
* I have to check intonation every time I play, is this crazy?
* Is it better to make a sharp break angle on all strings at the bridge for intonation purposes or does it not matter if the string intonates?
* Do you think changing the nut and bridge would make any difference or does my knowledge of guitars just suck haha? :tearsofjoy:

TO SUM IT UP:

Do I need new hardware or are old school guitars just this much of a hassle?
Or do I need to take a class in teching?

Intonation: Once you set the intonation, for a particular gauge of strings, you will not have to set it again (except minor tweaks) when you use same brand/gauge strings. I would suggest getting a professional setup while learning as much as you can about the mechanics of a guitar. Don't want to chase yourself in circles.

As per Evertune. I have had two and play one now for my go to guitar for 'live' but there are tradeoffs. The Evertune assembly ever so slightly 'dulls or dampens' the strings. This is not a giant deal in a live situation and I will gladly sacrifice this quirk to be able to go song to song in perfect tune without the obnoxious delays for tuning. BUT. When it comes to recording I'm going to pull out my old Les Paul or Strat for a track that has the potential to be here long after I'm gone.

Last edited:
Find the best local luthier you can and get a good setup. Everything you describe is setup related. No the nut is not cut properly, no you don’t want a drastic break angle behind the bridge, no you don’t need nut sauce, no your 70 shouldn’t go dead every time you touch it., no your intonation shouldn’t drift all the time, no you shouldn’t have gotten it plek’d. Where are you located?

Intonation: Once you set the intonation, for a particular gauge of strings, you will not have to set it again (except minor tweaks) when you use same brand/gauge strings. I would suggest getting a professional setup while learning as much as you can about the mechanics of a guitar. Don't want to chase yourself in circles.

As per Evertune. I have had two and play one now for my go to guitar for 'live' but there are tradeoffs. The Evertune assembly ever so slightly 'dulls or dampens' the strings. This is not a giant deal in a live situation and I will gladly sacrifice this quirk to be able to go song to song in perfect tune without the obnoxious delays for tuning. BUT. When it comes to recording I'm going to pull out my old Les Paul or Strat for a track that has the potential be be here long after I'm gone.

Yeah, sometimes it is better though and I don't have tweak much, using the same brand/gauge. This guitar seems to be very temperamental, but maybe most guitars are, I don't know... But yeah, since recording needs a good source it sort of drives me mad, also when I don't have professional techs and engineers around me but I strive for that kind of end result.

Alright cool. I guess it's about preferences in the end since guys like Devin Townsend (who apparently put ET's in all his guits, incl his LP's)
and Ola Englund etc use EverTune exclusively nowadays. Maybe it works better with heavily distorted tones because of the added sustain?

Find the best local luthier you can and get a good setup. Everything you describe is setup related. No the nut is not cut properly, no you don’t want a drastic break angle behind the bridge, no you don’t need nut sauce, no your 70 shouldn’t go dead every time you touch it., no your intonation shouldn’t drift all the time, no you shouldn’t have gotten it plek’d. Where are you located?

Good to know. One funny thing is a bought a baritone because I wanted better intonation, but I couldn't use the 62 for the low A (which the guitar comes with, so I must assume it was constructed to be played with a 13-62 set). There wasn't any intonation range left, even if I flipped the saddle. And after I got it PLEK:ed the the neck could be straightened out more without causing buzz (frets must've been horrible) and that added more range, but a 68 or a 70 is the minimum gauge I can use for that string intonation wise. Either they put the bridge too close to the neck or my expectations are off.

And I must STILL have a drastic break angle on that 70 for it to intonate, saddle all the way back. :tearsofjoy:

Maybe it works better with heavily distorted tones because of the added sustain?
I don't doubt it at all. Might even clean up some dissonant overtones. Not so much on clean. Also I would be interested in knowing if they record with the ET's or just use them live.

I don't have professional techs and engineers
The TrueTemperament guys are in Stockholm, I am sure they have or know a few good techs.

There is no point in perfect intonation if the setup sucks :) I'm sure they can help you.

Back
Top Bottom