Optimal Les Paul setup tips

So....we probably just prefer different things and this might not be useful to you....but I basically set my guitars up with the neck straight (as little relief as possible) and actually a relatively high action (around 90/1000 on the low E). I think they pretty much all sound and feel better like that, but I'm very much not a shredder. I haven't had problems with buzzing with anything until the nut's ready to be replaced after a long time or if the neck drifts a long way with seasonal changes.

AFAIK, the tink sound from tuning comes from the slot being too tight, not too deep.

If you put a capo on 3 and there's any daylight between the strings and the first fret, the nut slot height is fine. It doesn't take much.

Also....was this new? Gibsons are PLEK'd at the factory, so it's pretty unlikely that it's a fret leveling issue.

My guess is there's so much relief so that when you drop the action to your preferred height at 12, it's actually buzzing around 16 or 17. The 12th fret is still "relieved" compared to the part of the fretboard that's actually on the body, just not as much as 7/8.

If you want a spring butler and you're anywhere I can send a USPS flat rate box, PM me, and I'll send you one for the cost of a flat rate box some time next week. I have one and don't like it.

But, all it does is "fix" the angle of the string coming off the nut to try and reduce binding from straight-cut slots. If your nut slots are cut correctly for a Gibson headstock, it'll actually make tuning stability worse by causing it to bind against one side of the slot (which it did for mine). Having the nut dressed by a halfway-competent tech works better, IMHO.

Also, locking tuners solve a different problem...they make it quicker to change strings. They don't actually do anything for tuning stability unless you're using way too many (or too messy) wraps.
I see plenty of Gibsons that have been factory dressed with a plek and still had issues. Plek reads the neck and then you need to use the data to decide what you want it to do . Gibson just use it to dress the frets to a standard setting totally wasting most of it's capabilities. They don't even read the flex on a neck by neck basis . Plek is the best of the best but it still needs a good operator that actually understands what to do with it . A bit like getting your cat to use your laptop won't result in good workflow however good your laptop is.

The Les Paul will have some buzz acoustically and it is fairly normal on the 24.75 scale.
I personally play 9-42 and have the action as low as I can get it to where there is no buzz coming through the amp/axe fx. If there is a slight buzz acoustically I am OK with it. It only buzzes when I fret the low E, A, and D string, but only acoustically.

Wrapping the strings on the tuning pegs properly is the only way to keep it in tune. I tried the String Butler and thought it was OK, but not much better than wrapping the strings on the pegs (there is a recommended way gibson suggests). Nut lube works in addition to wrapping the strings and is needed at the nut, saddle, and tail piece.

YMMV as each LP seems be just different enough to and is usually attributed to QA, but they have always been like that since I played them starting in 80s (a used 70s model) and others over the years. My Epi LP Custom Pro seems better as far as QA compared to my 2017 standard and needed much less fussing to get things right.

James

The Les Paul will have some buzz acoustically and it is fairly normal on the 24.75 scale.
FWIW, mine doesn't buzz. Maybe I got lucky; maybe it's because I like a slightly higher action. When I play my ridiculous boomer bends, I want my finger to catch the next string over, mute it, and push it out of the way without fretting it. I have it just high enough to do that. It's probably "too high" for super fast sweeps on the top handful of frets....but I don't do that, so I don't care.

FWIW, mine doesn't buzz. Maybe I got lucky; maybe it's because I like a slightly higher action. When I play my ridiculous boomer bends, I want my finger to catch the next string over, mute it, and push it out of the way without fretting it. I have it just high enough to do that. It's probably "too high" for super fast sweeps on the top handful of frets....but I don't do that, so I don't care.
I used to play with action set just like you described, but as I've tried to raise my personal bar, it's become a problem. On my 1st Majesty, I instantly raised the action so I could bend strings by pushing the adjacent string out of the way like you described, but then I figured, other players don't seem to have to do this, so there must be something in my technique that I can change, so I lowered it back down.

The 20th anniversary in my pic arrived with very low action, and alas, I found that it really wasn't an issue, if I was a bit more conscientious about my bends. But I still get that occasional awful-sounding dissonance when that adjacent string suddenly slips off my finger. I think I've figured out there's this certain height that you don't want your strings: You either have them high enough to "push" the adjacent string, or low enough that it can't slip under your finger. I'm still playing with it though. ;)

I used to play with action set just like you described, but as I've tried to raise my personal bar, it's become a problem. On my 1st Majesty, I instantly raised the action so I could bend strings by pushing the adjacent string out of the way like you described, but then I figured, other players don't seem to have to do this, so there must be something in my technique that I can change, so I lowered it back down.

The 20th anniversary in my pic arrived with very low action, and alas, I found that it really wasn't an issue, if I was a bit more conscientious about my bends. But I still get that occasional awful-sounding dissonance when that adjacent string suddenly slips off my finger. I think I've figured out there's this certain height that you don't want your strings: You either have them high enough to "push" the adjacent string, or low enough that it can't slip under your finger. I'm still playing with it though. ;)
There are a lot of players who do that. It also depends on the guitar, at least some. My PRS can easily get away with a lower action. Maybe it has something to do with the frets being bigger. IDK. FWIW, I came to that number (90/1000) by adjusting to feel and then measuring. I did set the PRS up to match it and generally like it, but the "feel" adjustment on the PRS wound up a good bit lower, and it's honestly fine either way.

But, again, I'm not a shredder. I've definitely played guitars with the action set way too high...but not that many outside of acoustics and one vintage gibson (it was a 52, so...nothing to be done about that).

Looks like the product just moves the same problem up a few centimeters and then results in even sharper bends.
No, not really.

Because of its rectangular size a nut that angles the string gives much more friction than the a circular size like the string butler does.

Consequently the overall friction of the string butler is indeed lower compared to the friction of the „pure“ nut angled string.

What am I doing wrong with my Gibsons that I never having tuning issues? Help!!! :)
Your Vasoline trick made me remember to always hit the nut slots with Nut Sauce (and if I had read your idea earlier, I wouldn't have even bothered buying it), and now that I put a dab onto the saddle rollers as well, my floating trem stays in tune, even if I'm aggressive with it. Seems to me just having that bit of "grease" on the strings at their contact points makes a world of difference.

I've been playing the sh*t out of my Tribute and everything has been very stable. Staying in tune and action just feels like its improving over time or I"m just getting used to it. I could lower action but I'm good with where it is now. It's ironic, for so many years I never thought I was a Les Paul 'guy'. The famous massive (baseball) necks that actually suit my big hands better. When I pick up my EBMM Axis it feels like a toy in comparison. This guitar is just so fun to play and I'm surprised how well these 490 pickups take high gain.

Mwa
No, not really.

Because of its rectangular size a nut that angles the string gives much more friction than the a circular size like the string butler does.

Consequently the overall friction of the string butler is indeed lower compared to the friction of the „pure“ nut angled string.

Mwah, the string still passes through the nut so still some friction there, reduced yes. Then although the string butler is rounded it still is a steeper angle than just the nut. I do not see it solving any issue. Imho nut lube or vasoline or whatever lube is a much easier, more effective, cheaper and prettier solution.
I had a tele that kept getting out of tune. Put locking tuners on it. Problem solved. Although I really know how to put strings on a guitar, somehow the locking tuners made a difference. It was a brand new usa tele, so no worn out tuner pegs. It shouldn’t have solved the prob. But it did.

Harm

Imho nut lube or vasoline or whatever lube is a much easier, more effective, cheaper and prettier solution.
^^This. Ever since I started doing this with every string change, my guitars stay in tune, other than minor temp changes.
Edit: The post below makes a great point about the angle of the nut slots, that I didn't consider (nor have that particular issue.)

Last edited:
Mwa

Mwah, the string still passes through the nut so still some friction there, reduced yes. Then although the string butler is rounded it still is a steeper angle than just the nut. I do not see it solving any issue. Imho nut lube or vasoline or whatever lube is a much easier, more effective, cheaper and prettier solution.
I had a tele that kept getting out of tune. Put locking tuners on it. Problem solved. Although I really know how to put strings on a guitar, somehow the locking tuners made a difference. It was a brand new usa tele, so no worn out tuner pegs. It shouldn’t have solved the prob. But it did.

Harm
The issue it solves is if the nut slots are cut straight by someone who has never seen a gibson headstock before. No matter how much lube you put in the slots, the strings will bend all at once at the front edge of the nut (closest to the headstock) as opposed to bending with a much greater radius if the D and G string slots are very slightly curved....which is how Martin does it with just about as drastic of angles coming off the nut.

I agree with you....fixing the nut is the better solution. But, it's not just lube. A competent nut dressing should fix it, though. And, frankly, every guitar I've had benefits at least some from lubing nut slots. It's just one of those things that really should be a part of changing strings. Same with saddles at least occasionally or with every string change if you've got a whammy bar.

I don't know why Gibson seems to be really inconsistent about their nut dressing. I had a theory that maybe it was string gauge dependent and they wanted to just kind of generally get the nuts in the ballpark so that they'll be okay with the 10s they ship with but will still easily adapt to playing smaller strings if the owner wants to. But, I don't actually know that. I do know that it was < 10 minutes of work with sand paper when I got my Les Paul, and it's fine. It doesn't hold tuning quite as well as my PRS (it's a handful of cents off after going all boomer-bendy on it as opposed to a couple-ish)....but my PRS is also more finely-made in almost every respect, requires fewer and smaller adjustments as seasons change, etc.. The LP is still my favorite, though, for whatever silly snake-oil-y and emotional reasons go into that. FWIW, my G&L Legacy was way worse before I blocked the "trem".

thought about a new thread but figure just add to this one: POTS. so my Tribute has 300k pots. I'm planning on installing something like a Suhr Aldrich or BKP Rebel Yell ,or other in that sound family, in the bridge. I'd rather not change the pots just yet...down the road may yank out the PBC /wiring and upgrade to 50's wiring and 500CTS pots with orange drops. Figure 300K pots will still be fine with a hotter bridge pup?
I also am trying to confirm if my original pickups on this Tribute have chrome or nickel covers. online specs say 'nickel hardware' so i'm assuming nickel but they are quite shiny

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom