OPINIONS ON STUDIO MONITORS!

gelati

yo! i know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but hey 1001 can't hurt! so I'm looking for a pair of reasonably priced monitors to use with my axe, they will be mainly used for my axe fx, listening to music, and mixing and mastering my recordings! (not sure what else you could use them for anyway) haha now they'll be in my bedroom which is about 5m by 5m in size. the pairs I've been considering are the following:
-yamaha hs5
-krk rokit 5
-jbl lsr5"
-yamaha hs7 (6.5")
-krk rokit 6"
-mackie 5"

the yamaha hs7 is my limit in terms of price! so no comments saying 'get krk vxt' because no! that aint happening! any other suggestions would be awesome! feel free to drop links, reviews, opinions and experiences with any!

I own a pair of Yamaha HS5's and I love them. I am in a smaller room so I had to scale down from my event 20/20's due to to much low end.
These monitors fit the bill perfectly. still plenty of low end, things are nice and punchy, and they translate very well.

Last edited:
Check out the Presonus Eris 8! They are surprisingly great for the price, I've compared them to the Rokits and they sound less bassy, better clarity and a nice neutral sound.

Check out the Presonus Eris 8! They are surprisingly great for the price, I've compared them to the Rokits and they sound less bassy, better clarity and a nice neutral sound.
I've heard some of them have a light hissing/buzzing sound when there isn't any audio going through them! have you experienced anything of this nature?

I own a pair of Yamaha HS5's and I love them. I am in a smaller room so I had to scale down from my event 20/20's due to to much low end.
These monitors fit the bill perfectly. still plenty of low and, things are nice and punchy, and they translate very well.
I have HS7's and I'm very happy with them also. I think they have slightly better low end than the 5's.

I have been searching this forum and reading reviews all afternoon!!
Here are some of the ones I see coming up repeatedly.
JBL LSR305 or 308. $149 each / $249 each
Equator D5 $399 shipped for the pair.

One of the Moderators posted this recently.
"Blech. If you are set on "budget" monitors I'd look at the PreSonus Eris."

Those (Eris) have some controls on the rear of the speakers that will give you a little more control and options than others.
Hope this helps.

I have the presonus eris E5 monitors and love them. They do have some really nice control options on the back. I tried them along side several other 5" monitors that cost almost twice as much and these beat the rest. I turned around and ordered a pair with isolation pads and xlr cables off eBay for around $250 shipped. I've had them for about 2 years and they still kick ass.

I have HS7's and I'm very happy with them also. I think they have slightly better low end than the 5's.
I was torn between the 7 and the 5's. But I was coming from 8" and I have w bad standing wav in my room. So I would get a lot of bass build up. Being in an apartment and sharing the room with my wife's computer as well doesn't leave a lot of room for treating the room. So I went with the 5's and they are perfect for my room. The 7's very well may have better bass response in the right room.

I had hs7's and now have used KRK 6's. I find them as good as the hs7s. Just don't spend a ton. No need

Equator D5 100%. I had a pair - which I actually sent back, but only because I had a little more money come in while I was waiting for them to be shipped, so went for some Adam A5X instead. The 3 days I had the Equators for though they really impressed. for that budget I really dont think you can get better.

Well...for one thing totally AVOID the KRK Rokkit's !! I have had three fail on me - one set had an early failure with a buzzing noise and then two failed due to the PCB's degrading over time. The internal build quality is a joke - and they sound poor as well! (Listen to some of the You tube on-line sound comparisons!) I REALLY wish I hadn't bought mine (I bought a set for my studio - and a set for my son who has a synth and mixes tracks) . I am running a remaining mismatched pair of RP6s at the moment - which are the remaining two I have - as soon as another one fails (which it will) I am going to buy some Yamaha's HS8's

So from your list I would go HS7's definitely.

+1 on avoiding KRK Rokit's. Scooped/boomy sounding. Reliability is crap. I have the Rokit 10 sub in the shop for a bad power amp, and I've had to repair one of my Rokit 6's due to buzzing/intermittent output.

Back
Top Bottom