Opinions on Friedman ASC-10 vs EV PXM-12MP

Fat Dad

Inspired
I'm looking to replace my Headrush FRFR-112 with something a bit nicer. I've gone over the options suggested in this forum and over at TGP. There doesn't seem to be a real clear consensus between the Friedman and the EV. At least none I've come across. For those of you who have owned both or tried them both extensively, which would you recommend? I'm a home player these days, so I'm not in need of massive volume. I also am not interested in other options as I prefer to purchase from a vendor with a no hassle return policy just in case. I'm looking forward to your suggestions and appreciate any input.

With the proviso that I've never heard the Friedman, and currently use the EV...

The EV is a general purpose powered monitor that, like other more or less flat cabs, can be used as an FRFR for guitar modelers.

The Friedman is specifically designed as a powered guitar speaker. It might sound good for that use but I wouldn't expect it to be "flat". For instance, playing backing tracks or a full mix through it probably isn't its intended use.

Short answer-I prefer the Friedman-I have the ASC-12, because at any kind of volume it feels more like a traditional guitar cab to me. I've used the EVs as well and they are good, just a little different. If you're playing at home, why not invest in a good set of studio monitors to get the most out of the Fractal?

With the proviso that I've never heard the Friedman, and currently use the EV...

The EV is a general purpose powered monitor that, like other more or less flat cabs, can be used as an FRFR for guitar modelers.

The Friedman is specifically designed as a powered guitar speaker. It might sound good for that use but I wouldn't expect it to be "flat". For instance, playing backing tracks or a full mix through it probably isn't its intended use.
This is a good point. I do play along with backing tracks, so maybe this is a nod to the EV.
Short answer-I prefer the Friedman-I have the ASC-12, because at any kind of volume it feels more like a traditional guitar cab to me. I've used the EVs as well and they are good, just a little different. If you're playing at home, why not invest in a good set of studio monitors to get the most out of the Fractal?
I've considered the studio monitors, but ultimately I think I'd still prefer a FRFR. My rationalization is that the FRFR is the middle ground between a tube amp or studio monitors.

My biggest reason for considering the Friedman offering(s) is due to the comments about it "feeling" more like a guitar cab. Have you played along with backing tracks through your ASC-12?

I vote studio monitors with a nice sub. Because stereo. Keep the Headrush for when you want
to do "that" thing. :)

This is a good point. I do play along with backing tracks, so maybe this is a nod to the EV.

I've considered the studio monitors, but ultimately I think I'd still prefer a FRFR. My rationalization is that the FRFR is the middle ground between a tube amp or studio monitors.

My biggest reason for considering the Friedman offering(s) is due to the comments about it "feeling" more like a guitar cab. Have you played along with backing tracks through your ASC-12?
I have not played tracks through it but being that it has a horn and a 12" driver and is still a PA amp/cab I'm sure it will do tracks fine. It is the most traditional cab feel I've found in FR speakers but when compared side by side to a real cab, it is different. Not worse, just different.
If I'm playing at home I just prefer the studio monitors. They reproduce all the nuances the Fractal gear puts out.

Also considering one of these 2 options, or a CLR. Im leaning towards the ASC-10 for the guitar cab look and feel, but haven't played one (location). I had an original CLR years back with my Kemper, but sold it when I sold the toaster. I found the CLR very flat and sterile, but very similar to studii monitors.

I seldomly play out, so at home I run Kali IN-8v2 studio monitors. I need a solution for jamming in a basement with a drummer and other amp playing guitarists. Would an ASC-10 be the best choice or the EV?

The ASC 10 is dark unless you crank it loud.

I’d go for studio monitors over the EV.
does the 10 have a bass-cut switch in the back?
I have the 12 and yes it's bassy and dark at lower bedroom, but the bass-cut can help with that.
Other than that it's heavy AF with only a top handle strap, it looks and sounds great at volume. I often go form over function so it's looks beat out a lot of competition to begin with.

Also considering one of these 2 options, or a CLR. Im leaning towards the ASC-10 for the guitar cab look and feel, but haven't played one (location). I had an original CLR years back with my Kemper, but sold it when I sold the toaster. I found the CLR very flat and sterile, but very similar to studii monitors.

I seldomly play out, so at home I run Kali IN-8v2 studio monitors. I need a solution for jamming in a basement with a drummer and other amp playing guitarists. Would an ASC-10 be the best choice or the EV?
So I got the ASC-10 and am happy to report it is exactly what I was looking for. Having studio monitors already, I was looking for the AITR solution and this is it. A/B'ing it with headphones, it reproduces tones exceptionally well. Definitely less high end and hifi, but sounds like a real guitar cab with punch, warmth and fullness. The high end recovers at volume, but that is what one wants with a cab meant for playing loud. I've tried the CLR, the Powercab, the Headrush (8 and 12) and this is my preferred option. If I didnt have studio monitors, the CLR would cover both bases, but the feel of air moving in the room is real with the ASC-10, something the CLR didnt offer.

Coming in late, but I have a pair of asc12s and couldn’t be happier with them. Fully agree that they have loads of punch, warmth and fullness.

Back
Top Bottom