opinions on FRFR powered speaker for axe 2 Need to order Monday

Keith White

Experienced
Hey guys, asking for some advice here. Ive had my amazing AXE 2 for a year and a half now. I am running out one mono straight to house and out 2 to my current powered speaker, a Mackie DLM 12. I purchased that due to size restraints at the club I was playing at at the time. My new gig starts friday with plenty of room for any cabinet. The DLM 12 is just not pleasing to my ear. Because its not wood it actually sounds thin and plasticy to me.

I have been on the waiting list for 4 months for the Atomic CLR Powered wedge and the website provides no information on estimated restock date and no phone number and I DO NOT like dealing with companies in which you cant actually speak to someone.

So I have my choices narrowed down to 4 and I would love and need opinions from anyone who owns them or has tried them. I need to order this on Monday to have it for the next weekend. For this purchase cost has no bearing on my decision just quality and tone. I must say the JBL is quite interesting because of the Crown amplification. Unfortunately the closest music store to me that would carry these is a 6 hour round trip.

Oh and I will be using it as a wedge.

1 QSC KW12 QSC KW122 Loudspeaker Powered PA Speaker

2 Line 6 L2M Line 6 StageSource L2M Powered PA Speaker

3 Presonus Studio Live 312 AI PreSonus StudioLive 312AI 3-Way Powered PA Speaker

4 JBL SRX812P JBL SRX812P Powered PA Speaker

RCF NX12SMA.
This was the number one speaker here on the forum for a long time, CLR knocked it down a notch I guess, lol. RCF I use is fantastic! Search the forum for reviews, all very positive including a rave review by Scott Peterson.
35lbs, coaxial 1x12. 700W
http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/pro-speaker-systems/nx-series/nx-12-sma
Give Mike Colleti a call at the Chicago GC. Tell him I sent you his way and he can get you a great price on one.
773-248-2808

Sent from my iPhone

Why not a Xitone ? Great sounded powered cabs, sound every bit as good as a CLR (IMO anyways) and even a little cheaper. Fantastic personalized customer service as well

I just ordered a pair of Xitones to upgrade my budget PA monitors. If lack of customer service at Atomic was bothering you, you'll get the opposite from Mick at Xitone. I think the longest I had to wait for an e-mail reply from him was a bout 3 minutes. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Agreed with all replies thus far, which might be a first!
I can't speak for actives since I'm running passive, but I like my CLRs for dispersion and accuracy, but they do lack a little of that "amp in the room" quality (still convincing to most) that several reviewers say XiTone makes up for with the tradeoff being less of that "on a recording" sound... which if I'm not mistaken, Mick now has some sort of fix for.
Plus everyone says he's a cool dude.

I haven't tried any of those monitors with the Axe....but I have tried the KW with Program Music and it was a really good speaker.
My preference would be to follow the suggestions of CLR, XiTone or RCF NX12ma.

I looked at those SRX812's at NAMM and they look awesome for PA use.
The only reason I may not use one as a wedge is because the controls on the back look fragile. The screen and knob for controlling the DSP look to be as fragile as the Axe FX controls. So I would ask yourself....would you be happy your Axe on the floor where you could kick the knobs? This is a personal preference I know....but I thought they got too fancy with the controls and focused less on durability of them.

Xitone will do ya right. Mick will answer the phone and talk to you personally, and build what you want. Call me when you get a chance.

Last edited:
If not CLR then I'd say XiTone,.............although if I was getting back into the FRFR arena I'd be looking into the Friedman offering that is coming.

Back
Top Bottom