Opinions of the Experts - DSP Emulation of Audio Hardware

Search4Tone

Inspired
This is a really good article (IMHO at least) in SOS about how classic analog gear is digitally simulated using different techniques and platforms, mostly computer plug-ins but also DSP hardware as well.

Plug-in Modelling

It discusses actual circuit modeling at the component level (like the AXE uses for some of its blocks) as well as the use of test signals (like the Kemper Amplifier Profiler) to determine the transfer functions of complex non-linear circuits. It also touches on dedicated DSP processors (again like the AXE uses) vs. computer plugins.

Representatives from companies that are industry experts chime in on their philosophies of the best ways to go about it, specific hardware they've created DSP code for, the limitations of different methods, etc. I found it to be a very enlightening and extremely interesting article. I'm actually only about 3/4 of the way through it myself but thought it worth posting a link to before I nod off tonight.

Enjoy (or not!).

Thanks.

Nice find.
I got tears in my eyes at the mention of Stephen St Croix. So sad.

I will refrain from further commenting here...

It also explained why even the best 'reverbs' never sat right with me...

This is a dangerous argument, and as an Axe devotee I am on shaky ground being dismissive of DSP modelling. Furthermore, an outboard reverb unit is just digital circuitry in a box.

Regardless, for some reason when we run our Eventide H8000, it sounds better than the Eventide software plug-in (which is the same reverb circuit from the same company). I have no adequate explanation for this.

Back
Top Bottom