Opinions of the Centerpoint Spacestation V.3

another update:

used it in rehearsal with a drummer who plays extremely loud, in a room about 12x20ft.
I only had the SS on about half volume and it was heard easily by all band members as well as guests hanging out in the room.

I will keep this. It's a great portable, great sounding powered amp.
It will be perfect for small to medium sized gigs.

I still prefer the sound of my Matrix FRFR system overall.

I can see why keyboardists are jumping on the SS v3. I brought it over to a friends studio and he played one of his killer B3 patches on his keyboard and was totally floored by how big it sounded.
I did crank up the Width a bit, as well as rolling off the treble, because adding more width seems to increase treble frequencies.
He might buy one as well.

I'll be honest and say that if you are hoping for stereo ping-pong delay to be heard as a hard panned L-R config, either for yourself or anyone else in the room, it may disappoint.

Yes, I did try the deflectors on the back and sides, and it improved the separation a bit, but only when nearby. Further away and it kind of disappeared.
The sound is way bigger than a mono amp though.

The only change I contemplate making is either painting or removing the front grille on the SS.
Looks too much like a portable heater, IMO.

If you think you'd be interested in these, I'd recommend getting them from Sweetwater. You have 30 days to try it out.
As always, YMMV...

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff,

Seems to me it would shine more on stereo chorus/flange/rotary/etc. than a straight ping-pong type as the latter is so discrete.

Have you tried it with those types of modulated effects? Or the enhancers?

Thanks,
TT

Seems to me it would shine more on stereo chorus/flange/rotary/etc. than a straight ping-pong type as the latter is so discrete.
Have you tried it with those types of modulated effects? Or the enhancers?TT

+1 ! ...I like to hear about that as well ?

+2 I would like to know how a clean tone with the 2290 delay sounds through it, that is my personal fave delay in stereo as it always sounds like one repeat is coming from some place other than the speaker.

+2 I would like to know how a clean tone with the 2290 delay sounds through it, that is my personal fave delay in stereo as it always sounds like one repeat is coming from some place other than the speaker.

what settings do you use on the 2290 delay? I'll recreate that and let you know what I find.

Hello Scott

I live local & would love to hear this thing in person. I would be more than happy to write up a review as well .. Independent from Scott. Same rig, 2 opinions..

Thanks

Gregg

I have one in for review. No comments yet; no time to really work with it yet. First impressions soon; review to follow.

I wouldn't expect amazing results for something like a Ping-Pong delay when it isn't a true stereo system. For me, something like this would be all about depth perception and filling a room without having to play super loud.

another update:

...I'll be honest and say that if you are hoping for stereo ping-pong delay to be heard as a hard panned L-R config, either for yourself or anyone else in the room, it may disappoint...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I'm intrigued by this whole Spacestation thing because as an AxeFx owning guitar player and keyboardist in the band it seems like I can't lose!:) Considering that the Side channel of the SS is L-R that almost guarantees that a hard-panned ping pong is going to be one-sided i.e. only coming through one channel of the SS. Is there some way that you can skew the output in the AxeFx delay block such that rather than hard-panned, the ping-pong goes 'center to one side'? Theoretically this should improve the stereo image of the ping-pong through the SS. Just a thought!

How about: Don't use ping-pong, just a stereo one and control the pans to whatever works best.

Even better, use a multi/mega tap and go crazy.

TT

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect amazing results for something like a Ping-Pong delay when it isn't a true stereo system. For me, something like this would be all about depth perception and filling a room without having to play super loud.
This. I'd expect the Spacestation to be more about creating a full, 3-D type of sound than creating a defined stereo field where you can localize instruments.

It'll be interesting to see whether I'm right or wrong. :)

What about Large spaces and out doors ?

This thing won't be particularly special in those scenarios - that little thing isn't going to be delivering the sound to your audience. Those scenarios will always require you to run your rig through FOH. And depending on the stage, it may not even be a suitable monitor - it really doesn't have a lot of power to fill a big space.

This. I'd expect the Spacestation to be more about creating a full, 3-D type of sound than creating a defined stereo field where you can localize instruments.

It'll be interesting to see whether I'm right or wrong. :)

This ^ ....I think your right :eagerness:

What I find a little misleading (or misunderstood) are the claims made on various forums/videos that this speaker will provide a stereo image anywhere in the room. I think people are using this terminology without really knowing what it means.

Can't say I'm surprised about the results of Ping-Pong delay, but as mentioned earlier it would be interesting to now hear how it delivers modulation effects etc.

Back
Top Bottom