Opinions: is MFC Edit worth the $$

deakle

Experienced
So is MFC worth purchasing? I know it is not expensive, but what advantages does it offer? My apologies if this is a dumb question, but I am a noob.

If you think you'd like/need to set up a lot of songs and/or setlists, and maybe have a need to clear and set them a lot, then it can save you a whole heck of a lot of time. If you just want to reprogram a couple of IA switches and/or bank assignments over time, occasionally changing an IA switch or two as the whim strikes... then it may not be necessary.

Setting up, naming, and managing songs I've never done personally, but I could see that being very exhausting from the front of the unit itself. I find switching out the occasional IA on the unit itself can take like 5-10 seconds -- even if you're even only half used to the menus -- so firing up MFC Edit for that might take more time really. Though if you're the type who absolutely hates paging through parameters hunched over a unit and wants a quick and easy way to set similar stuff all at once from the computer, it's worth every cent of the small $30 price tag.

All that being said, it's def one of those: "ymmv, everyone's needs are different, value is in the eyes of the beholder, etc" sorta things.

It has arguably the best price/feature ratio for any deeply-integrated Axe-Fx MIDI controller.

It is as plug-and-play as it gets -- you put it in Axe-Fx mode, connect with an XLR cable to the FAS-Link port and you're done. It immediately knows everything about your Axe-Fx and how to control it. It can do more too, with other MIDI-control-able gear in your rig as well.
I think he is talking about MFC-Edit not the MFC... Check the thread title :)

Of course, maybe I'm wrong...

This sounds backwards, but honestly....

If you are using it with an AxeFX, no.

If you are using it to control a bunch of other stuff and want to setup set lists/etc, yes.

The price is more than fair I think, but for the typical user, the MFC-101 is something of a set and forget unit. I personally find the process of going in and assigning a CC, exp pedal range etc to be quite quick and easy from the panel of the MFC itself, and after you've done it a few times its second nature. At first it can be a little tricky, especially if you've never worked with midi controllers in the past.

MFC-edit certainly makes things a bit simpler, and if you need to adjust a lot of stuff often, it makes sense. Such as if your using the MFC to control various other hardware. As Syxx said though, with the Axe-Fx, there probably isn't much adjusting one will do after initial setup though.

I know I haven't edited anything on my MFC in well over a year, so had I the software, it would sit unused.

IMHO, if you want to leverage all the power of the MFC-101, the editor is a must. Just try anything with SONGS and SETS for instance, and you'll get an idea.

Worth it. I can't imagine how long it would have taken me to set up my MFC without it. It takes awhile to transfer settings to the MFC from the software, but it's still much much faster than going through all the menus on the MFC itself.

IMHO, if you want to leverage all the power of the MFC-101, the editor is a must. Just try anything with SONGS and SETS for instance, and you'll get an idea.
While you might be just a bit biased, I definitely agree with you :)

The Visual MFC option is very cool and the ability to drag and drop the various "bits" onto the buttons is very nice!

I use MFC in non AXE FX mode, 'cause I don't own one. The biggest advantage of MFC Edit is you can use it "offline": without MFC MIDI board physically connected. You can prepare, assign everything, create songs, setlists (multiple when in various bands/shows), save it and then simply get MFC connected and tranfer the file. I like it the most this way.
Also when you troubleshooting MFC Edit gives you the possibillity to look at everything fast and clear.

I have MFC edit and never use it. For the first setup I did but after that I've done everything on the unit. At a gig since I know the unit I can change something if I need to. For 25 bucks though its worth a try and it might help you. I wish the mfc did a few things similar to the AX8 in that you could edit the mfc right in Axe Edit. Anywho off topic.

IMO, unless you are doing really fancy stuff, it's not needed. I set up my presets all with the same stuff in the same places, so once I put a preset in play and save scenes, I'm done.

If you're the type who needs a different preset for every song, and change it quite a bit, then I would consider it necessary. If you have 3 presets and just toggle a few scenes or kick off FX, then it might be overkill.

But the price is fair, and it does look cool.

Back
Top Bottom