Opinion on Eureka Prom vs Uno Chip

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I just bought an Axe Fx II XL. So far I love it and I'm interested in buying the Behringer FCB 1010 foot controller.

However I've read that the recommended usage for foot controller involves buying one of two chips, the Eurekaprom or Uno.

This is probably an old discussion but I would be grateful if someone could explain the difference and pros and cons.

Thank you in advance.

Not the direct answer but have the eurekaprom 2 and Works fine since 2 years
Now eurekaprom3 with more control.

Eurekaprom was known to be more reliable with better control when i had to choose.

I use the Uno and it's perfectly reliable - it was so long ago though I can't remember why I went down that path now!

The Uno is very customisable and easy to configure via a desktop app. Does the Eureka have something like that?

Eureka looks more tailored for the Axe but perhaps less customisable? The Uno (at least my iteration) won't do feedback of block states to the LEDs on the FCB as it seems the Eureka does now - that's nice!

I think the difference is the "Stompbox" mode with the Uno. It let's you define 5 of the buttons as static across all banks, and the has the LEDs on them run independantly (like ... stompboxes). So you set those up to turn effects off and on (or switch X&Y or whatever). Then run the other 5 buttons across 18 banks to control preset and scene changes.

It works well this way. I can't remember if the Eureka firmware let you do this.

Regardless, I still find this is a bit of a compromise, but it's pretty workable for a $200 controller with a $30 upgrade.

I went with the Eureka 2 and now have the Eureka 3 and I haven't looked back. It does exactly what I need. I try to set up all of my live presets with scenes and the EurekaPROM has a scene mode that you can switch in and out of with one button. While the other guitarist in my band has to turn on and off 3-5 pedals for every tone change, I hit one or maybe two buttons. Eureka 3 also allows for MIDI in from the AxeFX now so it will show you what blocks you have turned on right away. It also can send tuner information to the number readout on the FCB, though accuracy is obviously limited due to the limitations of the readout.

I had the Uno chip for quite awhile. I went with the latest Eureka chip and never looked back. Just way more simple to use, no messing around with an editor. Block states/2 way communication was the biggest advantage for me.

I think the difference is the "Stompbox" mode with the Uno. It let's you define 5 of the buttons as static across all banks, and the has the LEDs on them run independantly (like ... stompboxes). So you set those up to turn effects off and on (or switch X&Y or whatever). Then run the other 5 buttons across 18 banks to control preset and scene changes.

Hey Stickman How have you programed your your FCB 1010 to have 18 prests on the bottom row and have scenes 1-5 also on the bottom row. At the moment I have mine programed with 5 stomps top row and 5 scenes on the bottom row. I use bank up down to select presets 1-9. To go to next preset I hit bank up button then button 1 bottom row this gives me the selected preset /scene1and all button 2-5 are then scenes 2-5 button 1 still scene1.
Thanks nickxmix

You can issue two commands with a button. So I have the bottom row programmed to specify the preset and the scene. Bank 0 selects the 5 scenes from preset 0, bank 1 the five from bank 1, and so on. There are, I think, 18 banks available in this mode.

Also, I put an alternating toggle on each of those buttons to control an external controller between 0 and 128. For the most part, I've attached that external controller to the "Bright" switch on the amp block. So tapping on a preset/scene button twice will select it, and then turn on bright. Then tapping it again will turn bright off, and so on.

You can issue two commands with a button. So I have the bottom row programmed to specify the preset and the scene. Bank 0 selects the 5 scenes from preset 0, bank 1 the five from bank 1, and so on. There are, I think, 18 banks available in this mode.

Also, I put an alternating toggle on each of those buttons to control an external controller between 0 and 128. For the most part, I've attached that external controller to the "Bright" switch on the amp block. So tapping on a preset/scene button twice will select it, and then turn on bright. Then tapping it again will turn bright off, and so on.

Could you post the Ripwerks program screen shot of this setup so I can program mine to have 18 presets available.
Thanks Heaps nickxmix.

I have the uno chip...been using it for quite a few years...with my old setup with multiple racks and rack drawer with stomps to new just axe ultra! Very reliable not one issue, I even done the Phantom power mod for the fcb1010. I like the editor and the chip is very customizable. Yes there is always a compromise but what ever best suits the way you want to control stuff. I checked out the new eureka prom and I am NOT switching.
I like the uno ability to toggle 2 separate cc mesages per patch change which doubles a switch to a program change and a comp and delay on for solos with a second tap of if...then hit again to switch them off...all staying on the preset. I have that to 7 switches for presets and 2 switches just dual or single stomp boxes on/off and the last switch just the tuner. For me this is great but might not be for others.

Back
Top Bottom