Opinion on a recent guitar purchase, neck joint cracks

Maddface

Inspired
I just purchased a Music Man BFR Axis Super Sport Buckeye Burl..... Bought it new from one of the big box stores.
Upon receiving it i noticed two cracks, one on each side of the the neck pocket. For the amount i spent on this guitar,
I am torn because I absolutely love it. 99 out of 100 they are just finish cracks but I dont know if I can get past that I
purchased it new and it came like that. With talking with customer support, options that are on the table right now is returning it
or they offered 100 bucks credit back to me. I feel like 100 isnt enough. Only 80 made so an exchange is out of the question.

What are your thoughts?

Oh, that's tough. Did you reach out to Ernie Ball customer service directly? They might offer to repair the finish since it is brand new.

Oh, that's tough. Did you reach out to Ernie Ball customer service directly? They might offer to repair the finish since it is brand new.

I did..... The store has had it since March of 2018 and thats when Ernie Ball shipped it to the store according to the serial number. Its no longer covered under Ernie Balls warranty for these cracks. The store would have had it remedied upon receiving.
Ernie Ball said the only way to tell is to sand the guitar down to be able to tell if the crack is in the wood. If its only the finish, they would just refinish but I dont think the store will cover the cost. Probably around 500+..

If you plan on ever reselling it, send it back. The resale value will tank!
If you're planning on keeping it, $100 isn't enough.
Having said all that, I have a 1982 Carvin DC200 that has a paint crack at the neck heel.
It still plays flawlessly, and its going in my coffin with me.

Heres the other kicker that really makes me regret it. I opened a credit account with the retail store because it was 0% for 48 months.
Ernie Balls Warranty states that its a one year warranty from date of purchase, free from any defects. It shouldnt be my problem that the retailer has had it since March of 2018.
I would send it back because of Ernie Ball not honoring their warranty. The cracks sound like stress cracks indicative of a tight neck pocket. I've had a Suhr for 14 years that has had a finish crack at the neck pocket from the day I got it & it hasn't budged in all that time.

Since Ernie Ball is refusing to honor their warranty and saying that it got damaged in shipping without even looking at the shipping box or guitar....
and Sam Ash has withdrawn their offer of a measly 100 bucks off the guitar, I am left with only the return option and a credit account that Ill never use.
I wont be doing business with Sam Ash again.... Ill probably find another manufacturer as well for my dream guitar. Ive waited 18+ years to be able to afford this guitar, it was a replacement for another EBMM that I regret ever getting rid of. Also a Christmas present from my wife to allow me to purchase. Freaking pissed....

You need $500-1000 off...

Keep in mind- any price you see as a 'b stock' or 'return' any store "can" sell you a new one for that price...

If you wanted to sell me that guitar today- you already lost $500 in depreciation, and another $500 in 'hey it has cracks'

I'd return it and wait for the right one.... because $100 is insulting.

I'd also go through the process of returning- they might bump that $100 up to $500+ when they realize they'll eat the shipping, have to take it back and resell at a steep discount.... so keeping it or not "return it"

I did..... The store has had it since March of 2018 and thats when Ernie Ball shipped it to the store according to the serial number. Its no longer covered under Ernie Balls warranty for these cracks. The store would have had it remedied upon receiving.
Ernie Ball said the only way to tell is to sand the guitar down to be able to tell if the crack is in the wood. If its only the finish, they would just refinish but I dont think the store will cover the cost. Probably around 500+..

Since Ernie Ball is refusing to honor their warranty and saying that it got damaged in shipping without even looking at the shipping box or guitar....
and Sam Ash has withdrawn their offer of a measly 100 bucks off the guitar, I am left with only the return option and a credit account that Ill never use.
I wont be doing business with Sam Ash again.... Ill probably find another manufacturer as well for my dream guitar. Ive waited 18+ years to be able to afford this guitar, it was a replacement for another EBMM that I regret ever getting rid of. Also a Christmas present from my wife to allow me to purchase. Freaking pissed....

That is an unfortunate situation and I can understand why you are upset about it. Sam Ash represented it as a new instrument and you (rightly) expected it to be in flawless condition upon receipt. I'd say return it because you shouldn't have to accept a blemished instrument when purchasing a new guitar in that price range. I'm kind of shocked that Ernie Ball didn't offer to do more to make this right. I've been spoiled by Suhr customer service and product support.

I had something similar with iGuitars (Brian Moore)
The guitar arrived with a hairline crack at the headstock.
It developed into a full crack and I had to send it back for repairs.
I had to pay for shipping. No refund for the shipping costs.
I got it back, again with a hairline crack.
When contacting them, they assured me it was in the paint since the neck had been reinforced at the plase where the crack was.
I wanted a refund but they refused but promised that, if the neck cracked again, they would replace the guitar.
Needless to say I never touched it again and never bought anything from them again.
I did, however have several guitars made by the late Chris Larkin.

Having a real-hard time wrapping my head around what Ernie Ball threw-out as an excuse not to take a look at it.. Their warranty clock is inclusive of time spent in a store’s warehouse waiting for one of their products to be bought? /:0/

That doesn’t sound right to me..

Did you take it up the ladder? ..ask to speak to somebody higher up on the food-chain? ..I would. Because otherwise that sounds like a bunch of two-bit mealy-mouth inexcusable-crap, to-me.

For as much as they are happy to charge people for their products, their products should be leaning right-upon perfection. What you received IS B stock. .... I’d send it back.

Ive talked to managers at sam ash and to AJ at Ernie Ball. AJ said it happened in shipping and should have been reported back in March of 2018 when Sam Ash received the guitar. Its his way out.... He said this without visually inspecting anything. Sam Ash dont want to fess up and and Ernie Ball basically told me im SOL. $3500 for a "new" guitar that has 2 neck joint cracks. Sam Ash has been silent since I have emailed them for a shipping label. Looks like I will be delivering to a local store.

Ive talked to managers at sam ash and to AJ at Ernie Ball. AJ said it happened in shipping and should have been reported back in March of 2018 when Sam Ash received the guitar. Its his way out.... He said this without visually inspecting anything. Sam Ash dont want to fess up and and Ernie Ball basically told me im SOL. $3500 for a "new" guitar that has 2 neck joint cracks. Sam Ash has been silent since I have emailed them for a shipping label. Looks like I will be delivering to a local store.

Phhhh...All kinds of messed-up; but, good to know.. Amazing, really, just how little money - in the scheme of things - businesses will sell-out their reputations for..

Don’t assume a thing walking into a store. Call Sam Ash for that RMA and return ticket. Go as high up the ladder as you need to, to get it. Without it, you might just as easily face the runaround after making a trip out to one of their stores.

Best of luck.

Hoping the return is goes smoothly.

Phhhh...All kinds of messed-up; but, good to know.. Amazing, really, just how little money - in the scheme of things - businesses will sell-out their reputations for..

Don’t assume a thing walking into a store. Call Sam Ash for that RMA and return ticket. Go as high up the ladder as you need to, to get it. Without it, you might just as easily face the runaround after making a trip out to one of their stores.

Best of luck.

Hoping the return is goes smoothly.

They sent me the label.... AJ at Ernie Ball said it would cost 500 bucks to repair the guitar. I guess 500 is too much for Sam Ash to keep a customer.
They told me they would offer me a $100 im sorry gift card to their store. I told them to pound sand and keep their lunch money. Never shopping there again.

I wrote Sam Ash off long ago after two bad experiences. It sounds like Ball is the problem here but Sam Ash is total sketch to me.
To me refinish is not a good option. If they didn't do a total strip, that many layers of finish on the guitar may effect the tonal qualities. A total strip feels like too much of a violation.
I would send it down the line.

Finish cracks in winter are pretty common. Not sure where your located but that I’m sure that recent east coast deep freeze delayed a lot of guitars from shipping. I think that if you like the guitar and it’s just normal checking, take the $100 and call it a day.

I wouldn't be able to keep my dream guitar if it had a defect like that when I got it. It's one thing if I do something to it later in life, but entirely another to get what you think is a new guitar with an issue. I love my EBMMs but my opinion of the company has dropped a notch hearing this.

Back
Top Bottom