Opeth - Sorceress

PumpkinKing86

Experienced
How's everyone else like the new album?

My favorite song is Era. The Ward, Will o the Wisp, and Strange Brew really stand out to me as well. The bonus disc is great too (I got mine in 24/44.1 FLAC from Nuclear Blast).

I think the secret star player for Sorceress is Joakim Svalberg on keys. Joakim brings a lot to the texture and vibe. His additions to the live version of The Drapery Falls were striking too – especially the brass at the beginning.

Overall, I really like Sorceress and I can already tell it's going to be getting a lot of spins from me.

Only have one listen in for both discs so far since I just got it last night. But I am loving what I hear. I have been a long time fan of Opeth and they just don't disappoint. I would agree with comments on Joakim - hes killing it on this record and keys definitely have a larger presence this time around. Seeing them in a few weeks here in Portland - super excited about it !

I really wanted to like this record, but just like the last two, I feel like it's simply boring.

I really like the keyboard and prog elements, but there is nothing to hold my attention anymore.

Ghost reveries is still my favorite by them for reference.

After a few more spins I'm liking it more - the one thing that bothers me is the production. I don't know how to explain it, but everything seems lost in the mix. The vocals don't really stand out, the guitars don't really stand out - even the drums are kind of lost in the mix. Could be a lot of compression ? Not sure - sounds muddy and unfocused. Actually the two best songs and mixes are on the bonus disc - The Ward and Spring. They sound much better.

Im digging the record. Long time Opeth fan. I've never really been disappointed with their records or live shows. Haven't quite finished the record yet, but I'm really liking what i've heard so far.

Huge opeth fan love there prog sound now but I do miss the death metal side of the band. The guy had the best screams!

Huge opeth fan love there prog sound now but I do miss the death metal side of the band. The guy had the best screams!
Looking at setlists from the past few months, they still include songs like Demon of The Fall and Heir Apparent in their sets. So it's good that they haven't completely given up on that sound!

If Mikael doesn't want to do death metal vocals anymore, that's fine because he has a great singing voice. My problem with Heritage wasn't the loss of that vocal style, it was the lack of anything memorable outside of the first single. I've tried to give that album a fair shake several times and still nothing sticks. Pale Communion and Sorceress at least have memorable songs to me -- although I would still like to hear more heavy riffs!

Looking at setlists from the past few months, they still include songs like Demon of The Fall and Heir Apparent in their sets. So it's good that they haven't completely given up on that sound!

If Mikael doesn't want to do death metal vocals anymore, that's fine because he has a great singing voice. My problem with Heritage wasn't the loss of that vocal style, it was the lack of anything memorable outside of the first single. I've tried to give that album a fair shake several times and still nothing sticks. Pale Communion and Sorceress at least have memorable songs to me -- although I would still like to hear more heavy riffs!

This album is definitely more heavy! the last one reminded me of Crosby Stills & Nash in a lot of ways.

Loving this new album. I got into Opeth via Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson so their gradual shift away from death metal and growl hasn't bothered me as much, although I love that stuff as well. The tour set list looks awesome, a great selection of tunes across their career - Ghost of Perdition, Damnation, Drapery, etc. I had seen them on the dual Mastodon tour and the heavier stuff was barely represented. Seeing them in Dallas tonight, really looking forward to it.

Loving this new album. I got into Opeth via Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson so their gradual shift away from death metal and growl hasn't bothered me as much, although I love that stuff as well. The tour set list looks awesome, a great selection of tunes across their career - Ghost of Perdition, Damnation, Drapery, etc. I had seen them on the dual Mastodon tour and the heavier stuff was barely represented. Seeing them in Dallas tonight, really looking forward to it.

You owe it yourself and opeths bank account to pick up all the albums bro! That's if you haven't done so yet

You owe it yourself and opeths bank account to pick up all the albums bro! That's if you haven't done so yet

Indeed I have. I love how although their sound has developed over the years, you could hear the essence of their sound even on the first albums. Had an awesome time last night.

PrC10Oyh.jpg

Indeed I have. I love how although their sound has developed over the years, you could hear the essence of their sound even on the first albums. Had an awesome time last night.

PrC10Oyh.jpg

Outstanding! Mikael such a tall guy when I see them in New Orleans years ago. That doesn't seem to be the case standing next to you.

I saw Opeth last night with The Sword. Great show. Good sound. I liked the set list variety (only Orchid and Morningrise weren't represented) and I wound up with one of Mikael's guitar picks. My friend got a set list and a drum stick too.

I'm digging the new album a lot. I think Pale Communion may be a bit better, but it took me a few months to get into that album.
On a side note, I just got my copy of Still Life on vinyl and am really looking forward to giving that a spin.

Saw them last night - great show! I was surprised they played a lot of their older tracks as well. I'm also wondering what they were using for amplification. They both had a stack of Marshall cabinets - no heads in sight, and the cabinets weren't miked.

Back
Top Bottom