Openion gigging with Axe & Yamaha DXR12?

Hi there

Please could you help me with an advice..?
I'm soon going to gigging with Axe Fx2 XL+ and would think, Yamaha DXR12 full range active PA/monitor, could do a sober job for in all around genre (mostly rock) for the cleans sounds and hi gain as well for about 100-150 people? I have tested it, with a little low volume a cobble a times, and I think it sounded fantastic but in a separate homely room.

https://www.thomann.de/dk/yamaha_dxr_12.htm

They should be about 1100 wat, so lots of headroom and power..
But will I get troubles with the sound of hi gain (and maybe presence) when its really loud? What is your experience..?

Would it be necessary with an amp behind my and where should I place Yamaha PA/monitor? In front with FOH or behind me..? It will not also be the FOH for the rest of the sound.

I use a DXR-10 to monitor myself and run out to FOH for the room. I run it in front of me just like a normal monitor since I'm also running FOH. It could definitely hold its own with the FOH if I wanted to use it in a more traditional backline situation, but in that setup I would want it on a stand vertical so the dispersion is wider.

Use it as you'd use it if it was a guitar cab. It's definitely loud enough (I've used DXR10). If you mic up drums etc and run that through FoH, run the Ax8 through the same FoH speakers and use the DXR12 as a wedge in front of you. If you don't mic up the drums etc and only run vocals through the PA the put it behind you and match the volume of the drums and other instruments.

I've used my AX8 with a DRX10 with a band and could have easily blown them out of the room. Super loud and sounds great with the Fractal stuff. As stated above, if you have FOH also, use it as a monitor. Otherwise, treat it as a traditional cab.

Well I now got both 2x DRX12 and 2x Gui- cab Victory 2x12: https://www.thomann.de/dk/victory_amplifiers_v212vc_cabinet.htm.

I have from this now been a lot more "clever" to set the right sound, that I love.. Actually I "lost my pants" kind of, when I at last got it right..
I think for sure I did a little mistake in the beginning with Axe fx2 Xl+, I'm pretty sure..
I had the "level" to high inside the Axe fx (also to control in Axe-edit) and both the FRFR monitor and the cab couldn't "translate" it precise and sharp enough when the level was to high, even if it was a little step from clipping. All the Eq spectra sounded as it was pushed to hard in bas, treble, bright, presence, bright cab, specially in the top. The sound was kind of "morphed", when the level got up in "gig level".

When I took the level down a very much big step down under clip level from uselessly about -10, -12 before to about -16 and sometimes to -20 with all of my preset (only not the very small combo amps with no MV, its a little harder setting), sound changed it totally. And from there ONLY use the power from FRFR or the power amp to get the level, and keep the level well down in Axe fx2.
Now I would go out with both constellation, it sounds different but it sounds good!

I've used my dxr10 for at least a few years now. First on a Kemper Profiler. Sold that, got the Ax8. Sold that, got the AxeII. I haven't done any shows with the AxeII yet but, I've been very happy with the dxr10 with the AX8 live. I'm considering getting another dxr10 and running stereo once I get back out there.

Back
Top Bottom