Open Sourced Axe-Fx 2

Now that the AxeFx2 is retired and the AxeFx3 is running new code wouldn't it be cool if Fractal open sourced their AxeFX2 code to the community. That would awesome.

More than likely someone’s job would be using the open source to make a new version, unofficial, and they’d likely sell that version for a profit.

Maybe someone would even buy up old II’s cheap, load the new software and sell them at a markup for profit, offering a competing product with FAS’s own offering.

Well , with this logic no open-source would exist in the world ..

Sort of.. but still... even people working on open sources cannot work for free totally...either get a day job and create on free time, or depend on donations... I am sure you can relate to this for your own great contributions here

Awesome for whom?

For AxeFx2 owners and a community of developers that would keep the AxeFX2 alive. I get it, IP is critical to your business, but how cool would it be to see someone take your old concepts and ideas and develop something new, something you never thought of. Maybe it's not the AxeFX2 code base but the Standard or the Ultra. An example of this is Linux, if we didn't have Linux opened sourced we wouldn't have Tivo, AWS, Azure, .. the list goes on. There are legal protections for open source code to keep others from profiting and you can also keep aspects of IP private. Can you imagine how this would dispute the industry and turn your into a category of one.

It's just an idea and I get where you're coming from, you work your entire life to build the best solution possible and some crazy developer on your forum suggests something radical. Please don't take offense, it's just an idea\dream.

There were plenty of other *NIX variants before Linux came on to the scene. Your comparison is flawed and entirely speculative.

I get it, this is a sensitive topic and everyone looks at the worst case scenario. I like to see the art of the possible and new ideas and concepts that wouldn't have been possible. it's a crazy idea. There's a great lecture on why crazy ideas like this come up and why it's healthy to have open dialog.

https://www.thersa.org/globalassets/pdfs/blogs/rsa-lecture-dan-pink-transcript.pdf

Open source is of benefit to commercial developers only when they can use open source coders as free labor. I like open source. It saved me a lot of coding time back in the day.

There nothing stopping anyone from coming up with a product that benefits from open source. The MOD Duo is one example. In the case of Fractal Audio who produces audio processors for a living, it behooves them to protect their intellectual property.

I carried this wish for the Gen 1s (Standard and Ultra) for quite some time, but never expressed it, because it's ridiculous. I would have LOVED to see Scenes in the Ultra. Imho Scenes is the most important feature in the Axe! Don't know if that would have been possible (Scenes take quite an amount of memory, I know that now), but giving the community a closed source package (where all the modeling happens etc.) but also an open package for the way it's being used. Something like that...

While in my heart I'd give a big +1 to this wish, because I'm an open source guy, I must say: Ain't gonna happen!

I get it, this is a sensitive topic and everyone looks at the worst case scenario. I like to see the art of the possible and new ideas and concepts that wouldn't have been possible. it's a crazy idea. There's a great lecture on why crazy ideas like this come up and why it's healthy to have open dialog.

https://www.thersa.org/globalassets/pdfs/blogs/rsa-lecture-dan-pink-transcript.pdf
My comment was only about your claim that Linux enabled the technologies you mentioned to exist. It did not. Plenty of other operating systems were in flight when Linux came on the scene and would have been sufficient for those endeavors you claim exist because of Linux had Linux not gained in popularity. Linux had an attractive gravity to a certain type of developer than precipitated its rise. It, in and of itself, was not a novel or radical idea, but simply the most popular variant of an idea.

Don't confuse popularity with radicalness.

It was not about anything else you said. Hence, my specific quote of your writing.

Back
Top Bottom