Open Sourced Axe-Fx 2

Now that the AxeFx2 is retired and the AxeFx3 is running new code wouldn't it be cool if Fractal open sourced their AxeFX2 code to the community. That would awesome.
<cue grumpy old man...>
So, ask yourself a couple of questions:
1. how do companies benefit if they open source their code?
2. does Fractal need that kind of help?

I doubt much benefit would accrue to Fractal by releasing the code. They are moving on to bigger / better things. And, it takes work to support an open-source platform - they'd have to clean up, release and support the code (people would have a fit if no one answered questions about how to use it).

I get how others would benefit from the code, just as they'd benefit by any other type of free giveaway (free gas for your car, electricity for your home, food for your belly). I don't see a benefit to Fractal, instead it would be a drag on them and keep them from building us other cool new stuff.
<exit grumpy old man...>

FYI, AxeII hasn’t been retired yet, we have one final update then it will have another 10 year run before it needs wheel chair support.

My comment was only about your claim that Linux enabled the technologies you mentioned to exist. It did not. Plenty of other operating systems were in flight when Linux came on the scene and would have been sufficient for those endeavors you claim exist because of Linux had Linux not gained in popularity. Linux had an attractive gravity to a certain type of developer than precipitated its rise. It, in and of itself, was not a novel or radical idea, but simply the most popular variant of an idea.

Don't confuse popularity with radicalness.

It was not about anything else you said. Hence, my specific quote of your writing.

It's pointless to argue with you because of your strong opinion and nothing I say is going to change that. If I had to guess you are a Mac user, am I right? I love Mac's but people can get so bent out of shape when talking about operating systems, it's like a religion to some people. I use what every tool gets the job done, Windows, Android, iOS, OSX, Linux, QNX, UNIX, ADA, what ever it takes. Cheers and have a blessed day.

There were plenty of other *NIX variants before Linux came on to the scene. Your comparison is flawed and entirely speculative.
Hmmm... GNU/Linux went popular specifically due the lack of openess to the hobbists of the other variants... (Specifically Minix in this case). The GPL license made sure that the progress stayed the open/available to all (unlike BSD variants typically owned/maintained by corporate).

Back to my hole now

This is an awesome idea from the user standpoint, but a completely horrendous idea from a business standpoint.

It can be if not done correctly, maybe it's only an SDK to allow developers to build on top of the great platform. Maybe theres a cost to license the access which then provides a new revenue stream for FAS. What if there was an aftermarket platform for pedal systems. How cool would it be to have an AxeFX at home in your rack and transfer an effect or an amp model from the AxeFx to a stomp box unit and add it to a fly board for light gigging. possibilities are out there.

Ah yes. When you can’t discuss the the ideas you put forth, deflect and attack the person. Good move.

That's what I was waiting for, insults to fly.

ok so lets touch on this linux topic. Linux is not a variant of Unix in any sense of the word. Variants of UNIX all grew out of UNIX base code from AT&T's code set. Take this from someone that worked at Banyan for is closed it doors, we used AT&T base to build our Banyan Vine OS and let me tell you it would not have been sufficient for Tivo to build their product on top of a UNIX base. They couldn't afford the licensing or the proprietary hardware to install it. Linus Torvalds and John Ryan both credit the open source operating system Linux for making the way to launch the Tivo platform. What operating systems did they have available to them in the 90's that would have been suitable for this product? The only one I can think of is FreeBSD which was released in 93 as open source. Sure they could have selected FreeBSD as their OS but they choice Linux rather than paying royalties to Apple or Microsoft to use their bloated OS and never would have launched. Linux has changed the Internet as we know it, there are more Linux based systems on the Internet serving content to billions of people. How can you say it doesn't have the gravity. There are 2.7 billion mobile users running a linux based smartphone verse 1.3 billion running iOS. Linux being released as open source has changed the world and I'm sorry if you don't agree but those are numbers that can't be disputed.

Although I disagree with the Idea, all he merely said was "wouldn't it be cool if Fractal open sourced their AxeFX2 code to the community. That would awesome."
Forum is becoming a chronically harsh and conflict-ridden household. I must go now to poop.

I think it’s because knows this wouldn’t benefit FAS at all, and FAS has given folks so much. I mean just today we got all new drive models in the III, and that was after a bunch of other stiff like 2 weeks ago.

As such, when a company gives folks so much, I think people get a bit defensive of it. Human nature. Don’t talk about people’s mothers and such, right ?

Thus when someone says “wouldn’t it be cool if Cliff gave away his code” folks are going to explain how it wouldn’t be cool for Cliff, and since Cliff does a lot for us, we don’t want anything uncool to happen to him or his company.

It’s like if someone stole a pallet of IIi’s and sold then for cheap on the black market. It would be “cool” for those who got them cheap, but not cool for FAS. I know that isn’t exactly apples and oranges, but still kind of illustrates the point.

It’s a $349 FAS vst plugin, sure that would be cool on my end to have, and I could sell my rack, still get great tones etc, but lots of reasons, piracy a big one, FAS doesn’t think it would be cool for them

Thus when someone says “wouldn’t it be cool if Cliff gave away his code” folks are going to explain how it wouldn’t be cool for Cliff, and since Cliff does a lot for us, we don’t want anything uncool to happen to him or his company.

This.

Plus, if it WOULDN'T be all that great an idea for Cliff, then it's a bit weird to discuss our desire for more free stuff on the very Forum that he's created for us.

I'm a professional software developer who actually spent a good number of years building and supporting some reasonably popular open source software. I was going to say something relevant to the topic at hand, but then people started arguing about stupid unrelated points regarding Linux and now it's not clear to me that this discussion was even posted in good faith. Feels rather ideologically motivated.

That's what I was waiting for, insults to fly.
You know what? Fuck it. I'm sorry. I took a tangent to argue that Linux isn't this godsend to computing that people like to say it is but it's unimportant to have this out here.

My apologies for wading into this mess and derailing you. My opinions about Linux are not worth sharing here.

This.

Plus, if it WOULDN'T be all that great an idea for Cliff, then it's a bit weird to discuss our desire for more free stuff on the very Forum that he's created for us.

Certainly doesn't stop some folks who own II's and AX8's effectively saying "you know what would be great... if you could give me every feature of the III... for free. You see, I really want those features, but I don't want to buy your new product" LOL

Laphroig is awesome!

Open source for the II basically takes all theFAS modeling IP that eould be exposed and gives competitors a license to build a better processing box off of it. Not a healthy strategy if you want to stay in business.

An SDK kit was pitched before and shot down.

With room exhausted in the II and AX-8 with the Ares port, I am not sure what else could fit.

Back
Top Bottom