Open back XiTone vs. closed wedge

Andy G

Inspired
A XiTone open-back powered FRFR cab has come up for sale locally, and I was just wondering if there were any opinions here on the differences between that and the sealed wedges? It's unfortunately not close enough that I can go and try it out without a bit of expense. I know the XiTone wedges get a really good reception, but hadn't heard much about the open back one.

Xitone FRFR cabs will follow the same "rules" for open vs closed back cabs. An open-back cab allows the sound to fill a stage a bit more (for good or for ill), which is why they're often preferred by folks who want an "amp in the room" kind of feel. The wedge will have a tighter focus and will be good for high gain usage. Not that closed back cabs are "metal only." Far from it. But the feel is different.

I've got a Xitone MBritt Convertible cab on order personally, which lets you switch between open/closed back by removing a back panel. I know that Mesa and Avatar also offer convertible cabs.

I'd say it depends in part on your style preference. I'm more of a jazz-blues-fusion player these days, so I like open back cabs, though I own both.

Xitone FRFR cabs will follow the same "rules" for open vs closed back cabs. An open-back cab allows the sound to fill a stage a bit more (for good or for ill), which is why they're often preferred by folks who want an "amp in the room" kind of feel. The wedge will have a tighter focus and will be good for high gain usage. Not that closed back cabs are "metal only." Far from it. But the feel is different.

I've got a Xitone MBritt Convertible cab on order personally, which lets you switch between open/closed back by removing a back panel. I know that Mesa and Avatar also offer convertible cabs.

I'd say it depends in part on your style preference. I'm more of a jazz-blues-fusion player these days, so I like open back cabs, though I own both.
A XiTone open-back powered FRFR cab has come up for sale locally, and I was just wondering if there were any opinions here on the differences between that and the sealed wedges? It's unfortunately not close enough that I can go and try it out without a bit of expense. I know the XiTone wedges get a really good reception, but hadn't heard much about the open back one.
I just received my new Mbritt convertible from XiTone, and IMO, it is a stellar winner...Hope you enjoy yours as much as i.

Nice! Good for your. Does yours have the Matrix or Dayton Audio amp module?
Dayton. Very nice , not sure it has as much output volume as my CLR or XiTone wedge, but I haven't yet had the chance to crank it. But it is very 'in the room ' with the open back and sound awesome at moderate volume.. The Bluetooth is excellent. Mick told me that the Dayton is the standard for this model now, I don't know if he'd do it with a Matrix.

I just received my new Mbritt convertible from XiTone, and IMO, it is a stellar winner...Hope you enjoy yours as much as i.

Didn't end up getting the Mbritt - seller didn't get back to me. :(

Still great to hear everyone's thoughts though. I'm sold on the XiTone - just need to save for a bit and get one direct from Mick.

A lot of good info here, especially open vs closed back tonal characteristics. I've been considering making the jump to XiTone and selling my heavy Gemini 2.

Dayton. Very nice , not sure it has as much output volume as my CLR or XiTone wedge, but I haven't yet had the chance to crank it. But it is very 'in the room ' with the open back and sound awesome at moderate volume.. The Bluetooth is excellent. Mick told me that the Dayton is the standard for this model now, I don't know if he'd do it with a Matrix.

The Mbritt cab has bluetooth also? I didn't see that mentioned on his website for the Mbritt cab and I have been talking with Mick but he didn't mention it. Thats an extra cool feature if it does!

Do you just have one Mbritt cab or did you get another for stereo?

I'm about to order an AccuGroove, but now I'm wondering if I should try an MBritt first...hmmm...

The Mbritt cab has bluetooth also? I didn't see that mentioned on his website for the Mbritt cab and I have been talking with Mick but he didn't mention it. Thats an extra cool feature if it does!

Do you just have one Mbritt cab or did you get another for stereo?
Yes the Dayton Poweramp is now standard on the Mbritt, and has Bluetooth...he was using Matrix at first, but not now. I boughtonly one, but I’ve got a CLR , xitone wedge, and Focal solo monitors to get my stereo (or quad) on......Mick is the best, but a little slow on the draw on his website...........

... Mick is the best, but a little slow on the draw on his website...........

Thanks for the kind words! Also very true about the website! I met with my developer earlier today and got eyes on the new site... very nice! The main structure is in place and we are adding verbiage and getting the shopping cart and international shipping estimators installed, configured and linked.

Please stay tuned! :)

I own one of each and dig them both, immensely!

My Open-back is an early version, pre-Britt, non-convertible with the Matrix amp and my wedge has the Dayton amp. They're different animals but both are a pleasure to play through and work well for a stereo rig.

I think the Open-back is a little more of a "flavor" machine and probably provides a bit more of an amp-like feel. You do need to be careful when operating it up against a wall as it can increase the bass response due to the rear ports. The wedge is lighter, more compact and probably flatter response in more locations. It's not quite as extended on the bottom as the OB but the low end is definitely tighter.

You can't go wrong with either...or one of each.

I own one of each and dig them both, immensely!

My Open-back is an early version, pre-Britt, non-convertible with the Matrix amp and my wedge has the Dayton amp. They're different animals but both are a pleasure to play through and work well for a stereo rig.

I think the Open-back is a little more of a "flavor" machine and probably provides a bit more of an amp-like feel. You do need to be careful when operating it up against a wall as it can increase the bass response due to the rear ports. The wedge is lighter, more compact and probably flatter response in more locations. It's not quite as extended on the bottom as the OB but the low end is definitely tighter.

You can't go wrong with either...or one of each.

I wasn't aware there was a pre-Britt open back speaker. From my understanding, he designed it with Mick, there wasn't anything remotely close before they colaberated on it.

What might have been more accurate to say is that Knobs has one of the earlier versions of the MBritt that existed shortly before the final version we have now.

Yeah, what Mick said.

Call it what you want...it rocks!!:cool:

By the way, I just checked out the new XiTone website. It looks great, Mick

Yeah, what Brad said! :)

Bluetooth audio outs would be an interesting feature for sure!

Like Brad said, the streaming to the amp works very well and makes it technically a 3 channel amp as you can use the Bluetooth as well as the two analog inputs all at the same time.

The only drawback is that the Bluetooth is mono. :-(

But, it is awesome mono! :)

Back
Top Bottom