open back cab / 1x12 , advices

unFILTERed

Power User
i have nl12s but i finaly found out that i actualy like the open back cab sound alot more. i use mostly vox, marshall, fender and the dumble amp sims lately.
was thinking of getting maybe the handwired vox 2x12 alnico blue cab but i need also a good match for the fender or dumble amps, probably smth with evm 12L speaker...

any advises? i would prefer a 1x12...so my nl12 s (have two of them) are for sale.

Semih - have you discussed your needs with matrix directly - they may have a suitable open back cab design ?

Otherwise if youre happy to buy British - try Zilla Cabs ( Custom Cabinets and Guitar Amp Cabs | Zilla Music UK ) - Paul Gough who runs company is very accommodating and knowledgeable .. look at Rob Chapman with a Super Fat Boy - Immense cab https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ-qA2fKoHo - I bought same cab and it has three piece back so you can tune the open sound to your liking .. I'm sure they will do a 1x12 with same capability .. ps- I have no affiliation with them - other than being a very happy customer ( my cab loaded with a Celestion CL80 / V30 mix ) ..

thx man, i will check the stuff you send...about matrix, as far as i know they dont have any open backs.

Semih - have you discussed your needs with matrix directly - they may have a suitable open back cab design ?

Otherwise if youre happy to buy British - try Zilla Cabs ( Custom Cabinets and Guitar Amp Cabs | Zilla Music UK ) - Paul Gough who runs company is very accommodating and knowledgeable .. look at Rob Chapman with a Super Fat Boy - Immense cab https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ-qA2fKoHo - I bought same cab and it has three piece back so you can tune the open sound to your liking .. I'm sure they will do a 1x12 with same capability .. ps- I have no affiliation with them - other than being a very happy customer ( my cab loaded with a Celestion CL80 / V30 mix ) ..

Hi Semih - I know Matrix dont have a commercial open back unit on saleat the moment but give them a call / mail ,, youve nothing to lose ..

Super Fatboy is not listed on the site anymore. Still they make it if wanted. Playing at low volume it might be too bassy. Not sure if Alnicos would fit that cabinet. Studio Pro which they make is def neutral sounding cabinet and for cleans V30 and G12H30 55Hz sound great and percussive. Love that combination. It could be made convertible too. I've tried Celestion CL80 / V30 combination in Super Fatboy cab too and it sounds too dark. It's bassy cabinet by itself. Tho this might be good for cleans sometimes. This cabinet is def intended for something that Rob is playing. V30/CL80 sounded best in cabinets similar in shape to Bogner OS 2x12.

Last edited:
Super Fatboy is not listed on the site anymore. Still they make it if wanted. Playing at low volume it might be too bassy. Not sure if Alnicos would fit that cabinet. Studio Pro which they make is def neutral sounding cabinet and for cleans V30 and G12H30 55Hz sound great and percussive. Love that combination. It could be made convertible too. I've tried Celestion CL80 / V30 combination in Super Fatboy cab too and it sounds too dark. It's bassy cabinet by itself. Tho this might be good for cleans sometimes. This cabinet is def intended for something that Rob is playing. V30/CL80 sounded best in cabinets similar in shape to Bogner OS 2x12.

Hi Zeno - just for clarity I wasnt suggesting the SFB would be suitable for OP - just that Zilla do a three piece back option and that might suit his 1x12" requirement ..
Pauls extensive range of 2x12's in general give lots of options - I went SFB for a 4x12" sound in a manageable? size box - Ive been through various combinations of speakers including the V30/G12H you suggest with valve heads ( Marshall . Mesa, Jet City, Bogner ) / Axe + valve and sold state power amps - the CL80 / V30 has so far been best compromise for me across that range - I dont find it too dark but do need to be sensible with bass on amp in use ..

are you in UK btw ?

I just ordered another Alpha PUP from Coyote Cabs:
"Coyote Cabs" Alpha PUP Slant 1x12 OR 2x10 Custom Cabinet USA | eBay

The slant angle helps me to hear the highs a bit better in most playing situations.

You can order them with a convertible back board for open or closed back operation.
Mine are front-loading but I think you can order them rear-loading too.

EVM-12Ls are the best choice for the amps you say you like.
They're also the loudest, most efficient guitar speaker made, watt-for-spl, I believe.

But they stay clean.
If you like speaker breakup they're probably not for you.
They're also the heaviest guitar speaker made.

i have nl12s but i finaly found out that i actualy like the open back cab sound alot more. i use mostly vox, marshall, fender and the dumble amp sims lately.
was thinking of getting maybe the handwired vox 2x12 alnico blue cab but i need also a good match for the fender or dumble amps, probably smth with evm 12L speaker...

any advises? i would prefer a 1x12...so my nl12 s (have two of them) are for sale.

I have an idea for a prototype 1x12 wedge that will address the open back issue. If you would be interested in giving it a try I'd be most happy to send it to you.

Please send me an email at xitonecabs@gmail.com and we'll discuss some logistics.

Back
Top Bottom