Ooops

Weird...

You're talking about Plexi 100w/50w High?

My impression, based on posts, is that 10's Plexi Highs are regarded to be terrific. And no boomyness at all when using single coils.

Are you using default (reset) settings in the amp block, which cab, which proximity (when using mic simul.)?

Always 100W High for me (Super Lead, treble channel).

I always reset amp and cab blocks before i start building my sounds.

Mainly i use the 4x12 G12H30 cab (since v2.xx firmware). When using mic i always prefer the mic to be as far as possible. Still i am getting the same results with or without mic (if using mic that would be the R121).

Also by default it feels and sounds (to my ears/hands) with excess compression. Not normal from my experience with my plexis even on 8 (with guitars like les paul or any other hums that's another story but i don't use any of these).

Like i wrote, not trying to prove that this is a real "issue", might just be me. Tried all 3 guitars (yes with new strings), still same.

I remember at some point (v5.07??? can't remember) all i had to do is set the amp's EQ the same way i would do it in the real amp and then fine tune (a little bit) the EQ via the cab's hi/low cut (juuuust a little bit) and take it from there for the final shaping of the sound/behavior.

Yes sounds strange to me especially after of 1.5 years of owning it (not the best tweaker around but still i have an significant knowledge/experience after all this time). What can i say...maybe i am just going def, lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Mainly i use the 4x12 G12H30 cab (since v2.xx firmware). When using mic i always prefer the mic to be as far as possible. Still i am getting the same results with or without mic (if using mic that would be the R121).

After upgrading to v10, I've had problems with all the amp/cab combinations involving the 4x12 G12H30 cabinet. This cab used to be my go-to cab from v 5 to 9, but on v10 I can't make it work. This was a major frustration for me until I discovered some of the other cabinets (especially Ownhammer's new cabs, stellar).

I'd recommend you to test a few different cabinets, but be prepared to recalibrate your ears and adjust some of the settings, as I'm sure you know things will sound way different and perhaps be perceived as worse intially ;)

Cliff, thanks for the straightforward approach, honesty, and with enough detail so that we can understand the reason behind the issue and what you'll be doing to improve/correct. Outstanding method of handling this for the user community!

I know how you feel Cliff. I have deleted 128 million row tables at work before and my heart just sinks and think crap, this is going to take a week to restore. At the time I had only been a Database analyst for about a year. I never heard the end of it. It was horrible and never ending, then the good news somebody else in the group deleted even a bigger table, so now I was in the job of saying, "it's ok" life is funny that way.

This is just the stuff we do, until we die. No biggie.

I believe we have another FW update in the works ( a couple of new amps) I'm sure it will be here in no time.

The Recto models are messed up. When we were at the studio last I did a Tone Match. Usually the Tone Match data is nearly flat but it was considerably non-flat. I initially dismissed it as something probably being set different between the amp and model since it was late and we were rushing. The other amps all matched perfectly.

So I did a MIMIC on the orange channel today and the data indicated something was very wrong. I rechecked everything and found a bunch of wrong values. I must've copied the data wrong or something.

So...yeah, mea culpa. I'm going to have to go back and do all the channels, ugh.

On a related note I got permission from Mike at Redwirez to also include the cabinet IRs from V9 so now you'll be able to choose the raw-sounding V10 cabs or the polished-sounding V9 cabs.
Ever think of running for national office???

President, for example.

I don't know. I'm puzzled as to what happened so I'm just going to redo everything. I do know there was a capacitor in the Drive network that was off by 1000. If you use a lot of gain this will cause things to be very flubby.

If that's the issue I won't argue with it - mainly because I don't use them for the djent/chugga tones. And the issues folks are having with the Rectos might be attributed to this, and yet it may not. All I know is that on medium to high gain settings the Rectos absolutely kill it. I've created like 15 to 20 patches based around the Factory Presets 14 and 15 and the Rectos are for the most the only amps I've been playing for gainier tones since FW10 was released. I tell you what, Cliff: Keep these amps as FAS models, call them FAS Rectifier. They sure are fantastic amps, IMHO! I for one would've like to keep them in the unit. This might be one of those moments where a mistake really creates something great...

Last edited:
My rhythm tone off of the recto orange totally changed on v10.. like it was a different amp. I wouldnt say it' super high gain mega djent, just a good solid chunky tone, with say 3/4 of gain up, was fine in 9, 10, another animal. This is also a perfect example how something was really wrong and people were quick to dismiss it as "complaining", "kicking a gift horse in the mouth", etc etc. In this case it was users who use that amp for a long time, and most of thier "sound" will be more atuned to it's changes.

VERY glad he re-visited this.

I found it odd as well that so many people jumped on those who complained about the FW10 Recto.

I have a 2 channel early Triple and knew beyond any doubt something had gone horribly wrong with FW10. And to see so many pounce on others who discussed the change was really odd - almost like a feeding frenzy.

On another note BIG kudos to Cliff. Its a true class act to admit the mistake and provide a path to resolution.

Absolutely agree, the Rectifier sounded wrong to me when fw 10 came out, glad it will be fixed :) and about all the flaming that sometimes happens, well, this is the internet, happens everywhere. Still there are some great and very helpful people here on the board, which is great. Thanks to those guys and thanks to Cliff for redoing the Rectos :)

Wow, just Wow and in a very positive way . I have never experienced this level of commitment , responsibility and ownership of a product . As a total newb - only had my AXE2 not even a week I was pretty happy with what I was getting out of it except for some nagging issues with a Recto red patch I made . I was and am quick to acknowledge my inexperience in AXE tweakage every adjustment I made just made things worse . I was feeling let down and mad at myself for my suckage I suck at making patches , have crappy speakers etc etc. Then I see this , the owner of the company acknowledges a mistake and vows to fix it ! This is HUGE for this new owner .

I'd recommend you to test a few different cabinets, but be prepared to recalibrate your ears and adjust some of the settings, as I'm sure you know things will sound way different and perhaps be perceived as worse intially ;)

Thanks for the reply. I did test many cabs and it might sound strange but honestly i have learnt to hear using my ears, not the eyes (you know how it goes, "i GOT to use this cab, uuuuhm, doesn't sound right, but then again i GOT to use this because it's the superduper 4x12 blah blah blah"). I have rotated many of these, at some point i even used the 20/25W greenbacks and even spent some serious time with the 65s, but in a blind test at the end of the day i always get back to the H30ies...

Darn, getting old i guess...

I fu**** love honest people. Thanks for just saying it straight out, C.

I do agree the Recto's sounded a little dull and mufled compared to my own Triple 3C when running it TS808-Recto-Mesa 4x12 V30-SM57-API.
My current fave is the FAS6160.

I found it odd as well that so many people jumped on those who complained about the FW10 Recto.

I have a 2 channel early Triple and knew beyond any doubt something had gone horribly wrong with FW10. And to see so many pounce on others who discussed the change was really odd - almost like a feeding frenzy.

On another note BIG kudos to Cliff. Its a true class act to admit the mistake and provide a path to resolution.

At the same time, many people also sincerely stepped forward in an honest attempt to help out; so please note that the actions of a few do NOT define actions of the whole. That's a pretty wide brush to paint with.

Wow... well I'm excited to see what happens. I've never had the opportunity to play on an actual Rectifier, but I've been pretty happy with the tones I've gotten out of the amp using the OH beta mixed in with the OH Mesa V30 cab. Now I'm excited to see what's going on when the new FW comes out.

Back
Top Bottom