Ooooh... Charts and Graphs Redux

Here's another interesting one. Frequency response comparison. 5150. All knobs at noon except MV at 9:00, Presence and Depth at zero to minimize influence of speaker impedance since Product B's speaker impedance isn't user adjustable.

Green trace is amp. Purple is Axe-Fx. Blue is Product B.

View attachment 89082
it's not perfectly overlapping so looks like you still have work to do! looking forward to v18 and beyond :)

What is the actual internal oversampling of the AxefxIII mk2 in Cygnus? Still 16x for one amp block and 8 for 2?
Is the turbo have an influence on aliasing performance?
Is there a way to predict aliasing and use destructive aliasing noise to reduce the effect?

You don't understand the meaning of the graphs. Ideally there should be NOTHING between the plateaus. Anything between is noise and/or aliasing. The amp has lots of thermal noise (hiss). The Axe-Fx has less thermal noise and nearly no aliasing.
So can you sort of simulate this thermal noise of the real amp in the Fractal products? Maybe this thermal noise can have some nice effects on the tone?

So can you sort of simulate this thermal noise of the real amp in the Fractal products? Maybe this thermal noise can have some nice effects on the tone?
You can use the Synth block and set it to pink noise. Put it before the amp and mix some noise in.

However throughout the history of electronics people are always trying to reduce noise, not increase it. Noise is undesirable.

You can use the Synth block and set it to pink noise. Put it before the amp and mix some noise in.

However throughout the history of electronics people are always trying to reduce noise, not increase it. Noise is undesirable.

parasitics are desirable. what if thermal noise is as integral as power supply parasitics, where an 'undesirable' shows up later as a source of distinct desirable character trait? that's probably the wrong way to think about it though huh. if you could figure the desirable element of the parasitic you could recreate it specifically without the noise. pink noise would eat up a whole lot of bandwidth for the guitar to mix with, knock the high end down a lot and smooth things over before the guitar even gets there, gonna see what that sounds like!

I have a Luxman home power tube amplifier. Traditionally, a solid state amplifier advertises about .005% Total Harmonic Distortion even Luxman's own models. However, the Luxman tube line advertises no more than 1% thd. whatever that comprises, I wouldn't trade that sound ever.

I have a Luxman home power tube amplifier. Traditionally, a solid state amplifier advertises about .005% Total Harmonic Distortion even Luxman's own models. However, the Luxman tube line advertises no more than 1% thd. whatever that comprises, I wouldn't trade that sound ever.
When it comes to THD, anything below 1% is inaudible.

“Our cult would tear down the cages, physically eat any non-fractal people that were there and then hoist Cliff onto our shoulders and announce him as king.”

So… a typical day on tgp. It’s a good thing. Someone has to introduce reason and facts to those debates about who is king of the hill, or the world will think what is obviously inferior product is the be-all-end-all. Because of all that chatter and opinions on some of those pages, instead of solid information, I was sent down the wrong road many times before I finally landed on the Axe FX. The tgp dissenters are mostly “sour grapes”, buyer justification (excuses), for buying a lesser product, and sometimes folks that are obviously just plain out of their minds. In reality, I don’t see unhappy Fractal owners. And I’m pretty sure 90% of any complainers about Fractal on other forums are less than truthful about their ownership status, or have an agenda. Some claims (opinions) regarding product comparisons I’ve either read or seen video shootouts of, between Fractal and any competitors are straight out laughable. Alright, rant over.

So… a typical day on tgp. It’s a good thing. Someone has to introduce reason and facts to those debates about who is king of the hill, or the world will think what is obviously inferior product is the be-all-end-all. Because of all that chatter and opinions on some of those pages, instead of solid information, I was sent down the wrong road many times before I finally landed on the Axe FX. The tgp dissenters are mostly “sour grapes”, buyer justification (excuses), for buying a lesser product, and sometimes folks that are obviously just plain out of their minds. In reality, I don’t see unhappy Fractal owners. And I’m pretty sure 90% of any complainers about Fractal on other forums are less than truthful about their ownership status, or have an agenda. Some claims (opinions) regarding product comparisons I’ve either read or seen video shootouts of, between Fractal and any competitors are straight out laughable. Alright, rant over.

Toxic Gear Page.

Yes. For those recording straight to daw it is a great option especially when you can leverage all of your computer's cpu and ram.
Only, if you have an input that is on par with the AxeFX and can get similar latency. I run a Roland Studio Capture, and it might not be the best in terms of latency, but when I tried (bought) the recent Pete Thorn amp plugin, I just felt disconnected from the sound in a way that never happens with the axe.
I never tried a plugin that did not make me want to plug into my AxeFX.

Only, if you have an input that is on par with the AxeFX and can get similar latency. I run a Roland Studio Capture, and it might not be the best in terms of latency, but when I tried (bought) the recent Pete Thorn amp plugin, I just felt disconnected from the sound in a way that never happens with the axe.
I never tried a plugin that did not make me want to plug into my AxeFX.
Once I got my hardware down to the point where I could run the buffers at 64 or even 128, the feel became viable - I don't notice loss of feel with plugins any more, but, I just have not found any plugin modelling that's as good as Axefx, and, though the plugins have improved a lot over the last couple of years, they all seem to suffer from difficult input levelling effort as there does not seem to be any plugins that have the compensated input like Axefx.

Back
Top Bottom