Ooooh... Charts and Graphs Redux

What´s so special about ToneX ?
It’s just better at the game of profiling than quad cortex and kemper, 2 leaders.
In use case it’s just crazy good. It’s the first time ever I could capture my Soldano, Plexi and Mesa amps whiteout losing some character or feel. It’s that impressive. Of course using advanced mode will take 45 mn on the last beasts for Apple (m1 pro in my case) but it’s totally worth it. And I can still use ToneX while it does the job in background of course.
It’s also the best amp plugin you can find today. A lot better than Neural DSP ones imo. Better also than TH-U.
Of course capturing your amp is where you’ll be impressed. The factory capture are just ok. The user ones are a lot better in many case.
Mines are just insanely good, but I won’t share them, it’s for my studio only.
Also the big names in profiling world are working one ToneX too!

To me ToneX is the product of the year undoubtedly.
Of course I still love my AxefxIII but I must admit I have much pleasure to play with my own captures.

I feel like AxeFxIII or IV will at some point offer fractal’s vision of artificial intelligence and neural network training/learning benefits for capture.

Of course I love to have those great updates and new Cygnus but it doesn’t mean I don’t want more

You're really missing out to be frank. The two best digital amplification products on the market right now are the Axe FX III and IK Multimedia's ToneX - IMHO.

It’s just better at the game of profiling than quad cortex and kemper, 2 leaders.
In use case it’s just crazy good. It’s the first time ever I could capture my Soldano, Plexi and Mesa amps whiteout losing some character or feel. It’s that impressive. Of course using advanced mode will take 45 mn on the last beasts for Apple (m1 pro in my case) but it’s totally worth it. And I can still use ToneX while it does the job in background of course.
It’s also the best amp plugin you can find today. A lot better than Neural DSP ones imo. Better also than TH-U.
Of course capturing your amp is where you’ll be impressed. The factory capture are just ok. The user ones are a lot better in many case.
Mines are just insanely good, but I won’t share them, it’s for my studio only.
Also the big names in profiling world are working one ToneX too!

To me ToneX is the product of the year undoubtedly.
Of course I still love my AxefxIII but I must admit I have much pleasure to play with my own captures.

I feel like AxeFxIII or IV will at some point offer fractal’s vision of artificial intelligence and neural network training/learning benefits for capture.

Of course I love to have those great updates and new Cygnus but it doesn’t mean I don’t want more
Interesting, Sounds cool to be able to try out ,some specific rigs and amps that are not available already in modellers, or to run to instances of your own gear &use it as a plugin in the daw , instead of having to reamp .
But otherwise AXE 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything.
I have barely touched anything else since axe 3 , it can just do whatever you can or cannot fathom with whatever is already available on it. Single most important piece of gear any guitar player can buy imo.
@Stainless Steel Frets i wonder if it can capture the axe fx signal chain well enough for use in the daw . That would enable you to save your best axe chains in the plugin itself instead of having to reamp.

Last edited:
Interesting, Sounds cool to be able to try out ,some specific rigs and amps that are not available already in modellers, or to run to instances of your own gear &use it as a plugin in the daw , instead of having to reamp .
But otherwise AXE 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything.
I have barely touched anything else since axe 3 , it can just do whatever you can or cannot fathom with whatever is already available on it. Single most important piece of gear any guitar player can buy imo.
@Stainless Steel Frets i wonder if it can capture the axe fx signal chain well enough for use in the daw . That would enable you to save your best axe chains in the plugin itself instead of having to reamp.
Yes it can, did it already with my audio interface. It works perfect. But I can’t see the benefits. We look for real pure analog devices captures… you don’t want digital recreation from digital recreation, and capture process has aliasing noises from the axefx (sine sweep and impulses just generates aliasing frequencies from the axefx when using high gain blocks… or stacking drive blocks (not all, it’s weird, it’s like some fractal models have better oversampling than others, it seems like high gain stuff is more oversampled, but using highest gain from mid gain amps and drives generates more aliasing noises. At the monitor listening test of course it‘s pretty hard to notice aliasing and I couldn’t make any difference from my amp blocks and the advanced captures. But it’s more pleasing to play directly the axefx, less latency and effects are the best when amp comes from axefx block.

Other funny fact : I can ear the difference between axefx and fm3 same amps but could with axefx ToneX captures.
Disclaimer : I just tried several captures to evaluate ToneX before jumping into serious real amps capture.

i must say the most impressive with ToneX is that it’s not adding ANY harshness like kemper and quad cortex do. Axefx is also not generating extra harshness, that’s why I always come back to axefxIII, IIIXL and finally III turbo.

Looks like product B could use a tad of optimization. Weird performance is right. Im sure its not as simple as adding an anti-aliasing filter though ;l. I wonder what product it be ^_^

Test of one of the new products on the market. Green trace is the Axe-Fx III. Blue trace is new product. 5153 amp model. Gain at 6. BMT at noon.

5153_Aliasing_Brand_F_vs_AxeFx3.PNG

This also shows the improvement in aliasing due to the new triode algorithm in the Axe-Fx III. The aliasing is so low now that it's almost in the noise floor. The hum from the virtual power supply is higher than the aliasing components.

Last edited:
Test of one of the new products on the market. Green trace is the Axe-Fx III. Blue trace is new product. 5153 amp model. Gain at 6. BMT at noon.

View attachment 129200

This also shows the improvement in aliasing due to the new triode algorithm in the Axe-Fx III. The aliasing is so low now that it's almost in the noise floor. The hum from the virtual power supply is higher than the aliasing components.
Let me guess
It’s a Bender Theaterlord floor model

View attachment 129200

Ooof. If I really squint at the blue line, I can almost see the squirrels running across it.

Ooof. If I really squint at the blue line, I can almost see the squirrels running across it.
One top of completely screwing up the actual tone of the model , I think they also have a high level of aliasing
I will bet they will fail that Italian guys latency test as well

View attachment 129200

I felt that since you put the triode algo improvement as the first item in the release notes, it was likely one of the most significant aspects of the new firmware.

But because you did not add comments about those improvements yielding more e.g. spongey / chewy / complex or harmonically balanced tone, I, and many of my peers have been denied the opportunity to praise the improved triode and/or brag about how much better it sounds or feels.

Thank you for your chart, confirming my suspicion that aliaising has been reduced. My ears did notice the diminished presence of the honky, barky and edgy aspects in the aliaising noise field.

View attachment 129200

I dare you to compare a Fender model. :cool:

Last edited:

View attachment 129200

The other product is behaving strangely with the harmonic…? Oh is it cus it’s 44.1kHz and it’s cutting off fairly low…

Back
Top Bottom