Ooooh... Charts and Graphs Redux

that's really strange that something has better aliasing in the treble segment. I thought the axe with cygnus-x2 completely beats them all in terms of aliasing in all cases.

I saw a few videos but not a single one impressed me. frankly, I coudln’t watched any of those till the end 🙈
Ah? Don’t know I saw this this week. Curious about it, as I’m curious about everything gear related 😅. I saw a video from choptones and it wasn’t that bad, considering the price and the nice UI.

That’s not perfect yet for sure but …

Last edited:
Updated test. All products with latest firmware.

View attachment 111498

Green: Brand N
Purple: Brand U
Blue: Brand L
Yellow: Axe-Fx

The lower the energy below 10kHz the better the aliasing performance.
Brand L seems to have improved lately, I guess it's comparable to the fm3/9 now.
But I still don't get how they managed to increase oversampling without increasing cpu usage.. maybe they just cut some corners on the algorithms? Seems difficult to do it with just "code optimizations"

Ah? Don’t know I saw this this week. Curious about it, as I’m curious about everything gear related 😅. I saw a video from choptones and it wasn’t that bad, considering the price and the nice UI.

That’s not perfect yet for sure but …

Sounds great to me.

Ox is also digitalizing analog Amps. But in the end only the ear matters. OX sounds great. And the new FW 21 is so awesome.

View attachment 111498

Why not using similar gain real amp to compare? Thermal noises aren’t aliasing but they’re also undesirable and less noticeable on amp block…

The best results concerning aliasing noise I could ever get in digital multi stage distortion and amplification is… Overloud TH-U!!
BUT it was running oversampling max AND 192KHz project. Result is amazing, no noise in sweeping sine tests. Bitter than the AxefxIII for sure. But not noticeable in many cases.

Aliasing performance. The big spike is the input signal. Ideally you would just have the spike and the harmonics. Any "garbage" below the spike and between the harmonics is aliasing and causes fizzy tones and ear fatigue.
Assuming Brand N is the Quad Cortex, this tells me that my hearing is still intact.
The ear fatigue with that unit drove me crazy. Honestly, I thought it was worse than the Kemper (maybe that is Brand U?).
Selling it was one of the happiest gear sales I've ever made.

View attachment 111498

It would be interesting where the Strymon Iridium lands in this comparison. Because I like it by far more than my (sold) Line 6 Helix, which I couldn't play for longer times without getting ear fatigue.

I'm assuming that brand L / blue is Line 6 and brand N / green Neural DSP. Which is also surprising for me because I found them to be very similar.

Last edited:
Why not using similar gain real amp to compare? Thermal noises aren’t aliasing but they’re also undesirable and less noticeable on amp block…

Agree it would be an interesting comparison. But thermal noise would likely vary with gain, bias, amp topology etc so it seems like it would be difficult to compare in absolute terms.

EDIT: Found a 1930 paper looking at thermal noise in tubes: A STUDY OF NOISE IN VACUUM TUBES AND ATTACHED CIRCUITS

Last edited:
It would be interesting where the Strymon Iridium lands in this comparison. Because I like it by far more than my (sold) Line 6 Helix, which I couldn't play for longer times without getting ear fatigue.

I'm assuming that brand L / blue is Line 6 and brand N / green Neural DSP. Which is also surprising for me because I found them to be very similar.
+1 - keeping mine - simple with some basic hi-quality tones. The midi control is a sleeper feature - works great despite needing that rediculous Strymon midi cable.

Back
Top Bottom