Ooh... New Ibanez Vai models!

The gold is a bit too much and the JEM community has been up in arms about them for the last two weeks. Some of the FB groups are downright hilarious with the “This is a JEM/Universe/RG group, it doesn’t say PIA anywhere in the group name, I shouldn’t be seeing pics of this stupid thing!”....some of the rants are really over the top, as if the look of these guitars actually have some kind of effect on the lives of people looking at them.

They do look a bit Chibanez with the gold plating everywhere, which is my only complaint about them as of now, aside from wishing Ibanez put out what Steve is actually using- slightly scalloped boards and a Sustainer. Vai’s said before he doesn’t think the Sustainers are consistent enough in the tone department to incorporate them in the line and he generally has to test out a few before settling on the right one for his own guitars. Satch doesn’t seem to have this issue.

They do look a bit Chibanez with the gold plating everywhere, which is my only complaint about them as of now, aside from wishing Ibanez put out what Steve is actually using- slightly scalloped boards and a Sustainer. Vai’s said before he doesn’t think the Sustainers are consistent enough in the tone department to incorporate them in the line and he generally has to test out a few before settling on the right one for his own guitars. Satch doesn’t seem to have this issue.

My initial reaction about the gold was along the Chibanez lines as well. I'm not a fan of gold hardware except on a black Les Paul Custom. However, seeing better pictures of the PIAs I've come around - particularly the Panther Pink.

Regarding the sustainers, Vai uses the Fernandes and Satriani uses the Sustainiac.

My initial reaction about the gold was along the Chibanez lines as well. I'm not a fan of gold hardware except on a black Les Paul Custom. However, seeing better pictures of the PIAs I've come around - particularly the Panther Pink.

Regarding the sustainers, Vai uses the Fernandes and Satriani uses the Sustainiac.

Ahhhh, that makes sense. I need to do a little research on the two sustainers to get an idea of the differences. I really want to get one in at least one guitar, possibly my JEM.

I dig gold hardware on some guitars, definitely not all. I think if they laid off the gold pickup covers and vol/tone knobs, it wouldn’t be as tacky looking. Just add a little red to the green PIA and you’ve got yourself a Karma Chameleon guitar!

That would be sweet to have the HS-2.
The limited edition version of EJ’s Virginia is $9000.00 at SW.

I didn’t realize this at first but there are two versions, the production model and a limited (50) Custom Shop version, which will have finish checking and aged hardware. My heart sank when I saw the $9,000 price tag as all weekend I’ve been on a “I’m getting that guitar this year!” kick regarding it. I’m find getting the production model and letting it age naturally!

I believe that it first came with the Satriani models. It is lighter and it has a foam cover.

My JS2450 came with one. I already sold the JS. I liked the feeling of the bar, so I bought one for my old RG550LTD (yes, I sold the JS2450 because it had no added value over my worn RG550LTD with Gravity Storms)

A small disadvantage (or advantage, for some) is that flutter is a little bit reduced with the lighter bar

Oh that's interesting. I have a JS1000 where the tremolo arm hits the volume knob a little bit. I heard this was pretty common on JS. I wonder if this would solve that problem.

Back
Top Bottom