Ooh... New Ibanez Vai models!

Oh. I quite like the lines and flow of that new cutout area. Very elegant. The multi-colour vine inlay is also really nice. I can get past the gold. Never my first choice for hardware, but on the pink it's not too out of place.

Any changes to the scale or the neck carve? Seems like a great opportunity to deviate from the ultra-flat and thin JEM neck and 25.5 scale. A 24.5 scale would be interesting to play with JEM-type ergonomics.

Yea, I'd totally go for the pink or yellow version.

I like the softer, sleeker body shape. When there's a variant in a multicolored swirl or blue floral without gold hardware, then maybe I'd get one with a sustainer for my ultimate "stunt" guitar. Dive bombs and harmonics all day.

I think he should change the leaves design to teardrops and add a tear tattoo under his right eye for promotional purpose and wear contacts. This would better reflect the price of his new guitar. It is an improvement over the brass knuckle hand rail look.

Although to be fair EJ’s new “Virginia” 1954 Strat knock off is priced ar $9,000.

I think he should change the leaves design to teardrops and add a tear tattoo under his right eye for promotional purpose and wear contacts. This would better reflect the price of his new guitar. It is an improvement over the brass knuckle hand rail look.

Although to be fair EJ’s new “Virginia” 1954 Strat knock off is priced ar $9,000.
$2,499.99 at SW.

I wondered why they didn't put an HS-2 in the original EJs, since that's what I understand he uses more often than not.

The old grip at least pretended to be functional. The new cutouts are superficial, and they make the guitar uglier than it would be without the cutouts. I had a Jem7VWH in the past. Didn't quite gel with it and sold it within 6 months. $3.5K? GTFO Steve, I can buy a Suhr for less than that. And he won't even play it himself: he'll continue to play his EVO, guaranteed.

If someone asked me 30 years ago what an Ibanez Vai model will look like in 2020, that's not how would have imagine it.

When he said the whammy bar was carbon fiber, so it's very light, I didn't get the benefit of that. Was it ever too heavy?

When he said the whammy bar was carbon fiber, so it's very light, I didn't get the benefit of that. Was it ever too heavy?

I believe that it first came with the Satriani models. It is lighter and it has a foam cover.

My JS2450 came with one. I already sold the JS. I liked the feeling of the bar, so I bought one for my old RG550LTD (yes, I sold the JS2450 because it had no added value over my worn RG550LTD with Gravity Storms)

A small disadvantage (or advantage, for some) is that flutter is a little bit reduced with the lighter bar

Last edited:
I believe that it first came with the Satriani models. It is lighter and it has a foam cover.

My JS2450 came with one. I already sold the JS, and I bought one light bar for my old RG550LTD (yes, I sold the JS2450 because it had no added value over my worn RG550LTD with Gravity Storms)

I think they had foam covers back in the 80's as well. At least early 90s.

Edit: Found it:
1579515507668.png

Could I just buy the neck, those look marvelous?

Not from Ibanez. You have to send them a broken version of the same thing in order for them to replace it. Occasionally, you’ll find one popping up on IbanezRules.com, but outside of that, it’s quite rare. There are a few vendors who have made replacement necks, ET Guitars out of Australia is one of them. He’s made quite a few people happy with his bodies and necks.

I broke the neck on my 7V years ago and before I had it fixed, I was looking into a replacement. They’re around $900 just for the neck, if you can find one. For that price, I’d rather just have one custom made or buy a used JEM.

If someone asked me 30 years ago what an Ibanez Vai model will look like in 2020, that's not how would have imagine it.

For sure. He said in another video that ”When I look at the JEM, I’m reminded of a guitar I designed when I was 25. I figured it was time to develop a guitar that 60-year old Steve Vai would design.”

That thing is stupid looking. I like the original JEM and pointy shred machines of all types. That thing just looks dumb.

Back
Top Bottom