Only using FAS for studio work, is going from AF2 to FM3 advisable?

stm113

Power User
So basically what I am saying is that I’ve been using my Axe FXII only for recording/studio stuff for the last few years and have a different live rig. As much as the III could be cool to have, I just can’t really justify the stepping up to that. Currently I reamp through my AF2 via spdif and have finally figured out the trick to using midi In the DAW to turn fx on and off while reamping. It may be worth noting that I generally reamp without the can block and use Mikko in the DAW.

what do you guys think would be the pros/cons of selling my AF2 and going for the FM3?

what would I be gaining?

what would I be losing?

You won’t be able to run two amps at a time or as many effects.
What you can run will sound a lot better, mostly indistinguishable from the AxeFX III.

While there are some sound improvements and feature additions to the FM3, the CPU is a lot less, plus only one amp and cab. I'm switching to the FM3 for live use, but I'm planning on leaving my AF2 at home for a permanent studio setup. It still sounds great and the differences are pretty subtle. That will likely change over time as the firmware updates continue for the FM3 and AF3.

I just watched this video today comparing the AX8, AF2, FM3, and AF3. I was surprised at how close they are to each other. I was expecting more of a difference and the differences I heard weren't better vs worse, just one sound vs a slightly different sound:

In my case, sound quality was not enough of a reason on its own to justify the transition to the new generation. For me, the biggest difference would be that I feel it’s much easier to arrive to the tone I want.

However, don’t be tricked into thinking the FM3 is an AxeFx III. It’s generally accepted that it sounds exactly like it, but it has much less CPU power. You should definitely ponder that. For studio use maybe a kitchen sink preset is not as important, but heavy use of effects still could make you run into problems (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cpu-issues.162056/).

It depends entirely on how you use it/what sounds you want. If you can achieve that with one amp/cab and without needing a tonne of effects (although, you can still run a fair amount), then an FM3 is fine.

Having just come from the II, the feel and ease of dialing in was much better in my experience. The sound is pretty close still.

The amps are quicker and easier to dial in IMO. Also, if you like effects the updated Flangers, Phasers, Multidelay and Plex Delay are gorgeous.

The good thing is that I don’t usually do very fx heavy presets for recording, I’m sure on the odd occasion I could figure out something.

A question that’s probably good for me to ask is what is the reamping process like with the unit?

I just watched this video today comparing the AX8, AF2, FM3, and AF3. I was surprised at how close they are to each other. I was expecting more of a difference and the differences I heard weren't better vs worse, just one sound vs a slightly different sound:

Yes, that’s the best comparison I’ve seen thus far. Would be interesting to see a blind test for this comparison. My old ears can’t hear much of a difference. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom