• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Only 3 Switches? What were they thinking?

gdgross

Veteran
I do. Different bands, different needs. Before the FM3, I would take the Axe3 and FC12 for a big band, the Axe3 and FC6 for some Solo gig with a lot of looping (cleaner cable setup but more to carry), AX8 and MC6 for a solo gigs with a lot of walking (all fits in one rolling suitcase), AX8 only for duo gigs, and just a tuner for fast gigs where they want you to plug and play acoustic only..
Wild. I don't think I could do that myself, but sounds good if it's working for you! I need simplicity in my life, hah.

jjdpro

Regular
As soon as the FM3 was announced (and I got on the wait list) started reading into how the switches and layouts worked on the FC pedals.

Once I felt I understand that, I made a post asking to confirm my findings which I did and I learned a little bit more. I can do what I need to with 3 switches and layouts. Obviously some folks will want more switches based upon their needs but many don't yet understand what can be done.

Simply put, I determined that the 3 switches on the FM will do everything I need to do with 11 switches on the AX-8. To me, that's pretty cool considering all the advantages (I perceive) of the FM3 - size, weight, tonal quality, etc.
Please explain how three switches is enough?

jjdpro

Regular
I need quick access to my fx.. verb, delay, chorus, overdrive, distortion..Tap tempo..Tuner.. Every gig..Church, Small clubs, theaters,

3 buttons??

QUOTE="chris, post: 1801183, member: 8113"]
it depends on what you need to do during the gig.

what do you need to do during the gig?
[/QUOTE]

Randalljax

Forum Addict
I need quick access to my fx.. verb, delay, chorus, overdrive, distortion..Tap tempo..Tuner.. Every gig..Church, Small clubs, theaters,

3 buttons??

[/QUOTE]

I think we get it 3 buttons won't work for you yada yada ..

for me I use scene clean higain lead ,, I don't turn effects on /of all night that to me is tap dancing

Many pros use switching systems to turn off/on multiple chains , thats what scenes does so for me it works fine .
I can still hold get my tuner so I am all good

ksandvik

Veteran
MIDI is so last century
1982 to be exact. I implemented a HW interface and firmware for an embedded system in eight bit that recorded and played back MIDI sequences. That protocol is amazing as it managed to scale through tens of years of new HW products. 2.0 was finally ratified and it's backwards compatible with 1.0.

But for foot switching you need a really dumb protocol, even MIDI is too fancy for that use.

Lohengrin

New here
If you're not using midi to change all your patches live, you are behind the times by YEARS. 3 switches is perfect
This! 3 switches are actually too many! XD

Life is so much EASIER since I automated all sound changes via MIDI. Zero pedals. Less cables. Less things in the floor. No dance. I can focus 100% on the show. No need to return to my pedals mid-song if I'm back to back with the bassist.

Just kidding, I understand most people need changes on the fly, and not every drummer is willing (able? :p ) to play with tempo tracks. But seriously, I don't think I'll ever use any of the switches on the FM3!

trixdropd

Inspired

Life is so much EASIER since I automated all sound changes via MIDI. Zero pedals. Less cables. Less things in the floor. No dance. I can focus 100% on the show. No need to return to my pedals mid-song if I'm back to back with the bassist.

Just kidding, I understand most people need changes on the fly, and not every drummer is willing (able? :p ) to play with tempo tracks. But seriously, I don't think I'll ever use any of the switches on the FM3!
You’re welcome to skip to the fm3 and instead get you something else that has all the buttons you require. I’m certain they didn’t design this product for EVERYONE. That said, the 3 switches on the fm3 so far more than 3 switches on anything else out there.

Lohengrin

New here
You’re welcome to skip to the fm3 and instead get you something else that has all the buttons you require. I’m certain they didn’t design this product for EVERYONE. That said, the 3 switches on the fm3 so far more than 3 switches on anything else out there.
I don't get why you quote me on this message... yours was exactly my point too. I don't need any switch at all, I would happily exchange them for more processing power, and yet I understand this product is 95% of my needs, which is quite an impressive percentage for a non-custom product with the vast range of design decisions to take for a guitar modeller ...plus I'm really on the other side of the spectrum: I DO NOT need any switch, I am not requesting any more buttons.

One has to take compromises when defining features for a product, and customers have to understand that everyone has different needs. The most reasonable approach in my mind is to think about solutions (e.g.: additional gear) to build a rig covering most of those needs, even if it implies combining different products.

And in this case, well, it seems there are multiple ways to get more switches!

Bigeclipse

Regular

3 buttons??

[/QUOTE]
Why do you need quick access to all those different FX? If you thought about your gig, you could be turning them all off or on with scenes. With 3 buttons you can have VERY quick access to 5 scenes and a tap tempo. You could then have the push and holds of each switch do something else like tuner. Then just have a different patch for the different songs. Easy peasy. Sounds like you are making it more difficult than it needs to be even with your ax8.

Bigeclipse

Regular
I don't get why you quote me on this message... yours was exactly my point too. I don't need any switch at all, I would happily exchange them for more processing power, and yet I understand this product is 95% of my needs, which is quite an impressive percentage for a non-custom product with the vast range of design decisions to take for a guitar modeller ...plus I'm really on the other side of the spectrum: I DO NOT need any switch, I am not requesting any more buttons.

One has to take compromises when defining features for a product, and customers have to understand that everyone has different needs. The most reasonable approach in my mind is to think about solutions (e.g.: additional gear) to build a rig covering most of those needs, even if it implies combining different products.

And in this case, well, it seems there are multiple ways to get more switches!
if you need more DSP then buy the AXIII and stop crying...

Bigeclipse

Regular

How exactly do you change MIDI live without a button? I am very new to the world of MIDI. Do you have a controller on your guitar or something?

unix-guy

Legend!
Why do you need quick access to all those different FX? If you thought about your gig, you could be turning them all off or on with scenes. With 3 buttons you can have VERY quick access to 5 scenes and a tap tempo. You could then have the push and holds of each switch do something else like tuner. Then just have a different patch for the different songs. Easy peasy. Sounds like you are making it more difficult than it needs to be even with your ax8.
Scenes are great but they aren't the answer for everyone or every scenario.

Many people improvise with effects and scenes isn't a solution there.

Last edited:

Sean D.

Regular
I prefer IA as I use 3 patches on my AX8 for the entire show. Were I to create a different scene for all the possible scenarios I would easily exceed the 8 available scenes and I would have a difficult time remembering which scene correlated to which sound. Hell, I would need six scenes just for lead tones throughout my set. Ex. clean solo boosted with delay X and Y, mid drive solo boosted with delay X and Y, and high gain solo boosted with delay X and Y. That doesn't even cover kicking the phaser on and off for sections of the solos.

chris

Legend!
I prefer IA as I use 3 patches on my AX8 for the entire show. Were I to create a different scene for all the possible scenarios I would easily exceed the 8 available scenes and I would have a difficult time remembering which scene correlated to which sound. Hell, I would need six scenes just for lead tones throughout my set. Ex. clean solo boosted with delay X and Y, mid drive solo boosted with delay X and Y, and high gain solo boosted with delay X and Y. That doesn't even cover kicking the phaser on and off for sections of the solos.
can you describe "delay x and y"? what if you used Scenes for Clean Solo with DelayX, Mid Solo with DelayX and High Gain Solo with DelayX. then have a switch to change between Delay X and Y, and the same switch with a Hold could turn the Phaser on and off. that could be done with 2 switches if Hold functions are acceptable.

Top Bottom