• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Only 3 Switches? What were they thinking?

Randalljax

Forum Addict
I have an AX8 for a while now, after owning the AxeFx II with MFC101 before. It works for me. I use 4 presets, with some scenes per preset. I don't need much buttons. My first reflex with the FM3 was, like many: 3 buttons? no way I can make this work. But thinking about how I use the AX8 now, maybe I can. I'd love the new smaller form factor. I get the modular approach, but I would love to have just 1 machine, no wires, no extra weight, etc

(Bare with me, as I'm ordering my thoughts as I type...)

I have 4 main presets. clean, crunch, rhythm (distortion), solo. Currently under the switches on the bottom row of the AX8. top row is individual FX, but end of the day I mostly use a scene 1/2 toggle for any of the 4 presets. a total of 8 basic sounds is what I use, using 5 switches.

Songs are either clean, crunch or rhythm "based", needing a solo now and then. Some songs have clean or crunch as a base sound, rhythm for the chorus for instance, and again the solo patch for....eh...solos :)

Thinking of how the switching order usually goes (in terms of patches):

clean|crunch|rhythm -> solo -> clean|crunch|rhythm
or
clean|crunch -> rhythm -> clean|crunch -> solo -> clean|crunch|rhythm
or
clean|crunch -> rhythm -> clean|crunch -> rhythm -> solo -> rhythm

This, I think, pretty much follows the general structure of your typical pop/rock song.

The sound you come from before, and go to after, a solo is usually the same (at least in my case). so if I have "crunch" before a solo, I'm likely to return to "crunch" after the solo. before and after solo should be a one tap thing; before a solo you don't want to "navigate" past a few sounds before you get what you need.

Hope this all makes sense to anybody else but me :)

Is this a feasible scenario with 3 buttons?
I think you could do it w scene toggle
1 clean 2 crunch
3.dirt. 4.lead
Button 3 would load my Fx
Hold would bring up tuner

DrDeaf

Regular
@DrDeaf I think, there are several ways to skin that cat :)

You could set up a cycle action, where 1 button cycles through 4 sounds (not the coolest way)

You could set it up such that whenever, you are on one of your four sounds, the three other sounds are available on the footswitches.

You can set the three buttons up such that you have 1) Clean, 2) Crunch 3) Rhythm, and then all three buttons could be set to toggle with the solo sound. Then when you need to go to the solo, you only have to hit the same button as you last hit. When the solo is done, you press whatever sound you need next. (this might be the coolest option and can be set up globally)

There are also more involved ways to do it. I think I will do the following myself, where I take advantage of dynamic layout linking https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/footswitch-possibilities-with-fm3.149987/#post-1785140
Thanks, for pointing those options out. It helps me make the paradigm shift :)

Is the hold function configurable with regards to time. So how long you need to hold the switch down before it's detected as a hold? And/or if it switches right after hold detection or on release? So you can time a "switch" accurately.

I could use "hold" to switch some fx on and off, right? Is that also possible with the linked layout thing? So toggle between scenes for the switches. For my basic sounds I don't use fx. And sometimes I add some delay or chorus or whatever.

DrDeaf

Regular
I think you could do it w scene toggle
1 clean 2 crunch
3.dirt. 4.lead
Button 3 would load my Fx
Hold would bring up tuner
So for a clean to lead you'd have to "double click" on switch 2. And back to clean would take another 2 taps on switch 1?

Depending on switching speed or lag that could work. I'm very happy with my AX8 but the lag with switching presets can be troublesome in a live situation. Hope they fixed that in the FM3

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic

Is the hold function configurable with regards to time. So how long you need to hold the switch down before it's detected as a hold? And/or if it switches right after hold detection or on release? So you can time a "switch" accurately.

I could use "hold" to switch some fx on and off, right? Is that also possible with the linked layout thing? So toggle between scenes for the switches. For my basic sounds I don't use fx. And sometimes I add some delay or chorus or whatever.
I am not sure how much the hold function can be configured

Randalljax

Forum Addict
So for a clean to lead you'd have to "double click" on switch 2. And back to clean would take another 2 taps on switch 1?

Depending on switching speed or lag that could work. I'm very happy with my AX8 but the lag with switching presets can be troublesome in a live situation. Hope they fixed that in the FM3
I might be tempted to have lead on tap on switch 3 if you use it a lot
Then you can hit it one tap from anywhere

You could do clean / lead on toggle sw1
Dirty /lead on toggle sw 2
Crunch switch 3

I would say it really depends on what you use the. Most

unix-guy

Legend!

From the FC manual. Assuming the same or similar options:

83945582-3A76-4230-A853-07C04ED70BF5.jpeg

gdgross

Veteran
So it seems that after the timeout passes it performs the hold action. I'd rather have that (optionally) on release as well. So set the timeout for detection, but do the action on release.
Yep, that's what i'd like too.

Johan Allard

Forum Addict
Honestly, I never really used those knobs on my AX8. Also, the FM3 will have a button on the front panel that takes you directly to the amp basic page.
And now with the new Axe Fx 3 beta firmware and performance screen, it'll be the same on the FM3 so you can add whatever functions you want to the performance screen and it'll be like the Ax8 amp specific knobs. I very rarely mess around with the amp specific knobs on my Ax8 either but I wouldn't mind adding reverb and delay mix on there.

David Houck

Inspired
From window shopping an AX8, I could see missing the amp-specific knobs. I suppose you could do that with external MIDI.
Honestly, I never really used those knobs on my AX8. Also, the FM3 will have a button on the front panel that takes you directly to the amp basic page.
Like Smittefar, I too never use those knobs on the AX8. In addition to what he said about the amp basic page with the amp-specific knobs, the latest beta for the Axe-Fx III software has a new page where you can add any specific knobs you like; and it seems at least possible, and perhaps probable, that the FM3 will get that feature as well. See Leon's, @2112, excellent demo of this new feature here:

gluve95

New here
Its really simple what Fractal was thinking. They have the FS 6 and FS 12 . Options, freedom of choice. It's the American way. It's not a big deal if you're happy with theee great if not get an FS. If you don't want modular and want an all in one move on. Buy a Helix, GT1000 or a Headrush. See simple.

Fredneck

Inspired
I'm stoked to have a III that stays in a band rack, and the FM3 is for mobile and studio applications. I have a pelican for the FC6, FC12, and a Mission SP1. No more lugging racks for me! That's guitar and steel guitar on one Axe Fx III or FM3. Collect them all!

gdgross

Veteran
I think I'll be fine with the 3 FM3 switches plus a 5 switch external controller (voes). But the discussion did get me wondering, will/does anyone actually bring different pedalboards/setup per gig? I can't imagine re-jiggering my layout depending on the size of the stage. I want one pedalboard/rig that i'm intimately familiar with. Adding or removing pedals seems like asking for trouble to me.

Not to mention the fact that you'd now have a bunch more individual pieces to carry around rather than one nice, solid, hard-mounted pedal board with cabling already locked down.

lwknives

Veteran
I think I'll be fine with the 3 FM3 switches plus a 5 switch external controller (voes). But the discussion did get me wondering, will/does anyone actually bring different pedalboards/setup per gig? I can't imagine re-jiggering my layout depending on the size of the stage. I want one pedalboard/rig that i'm intimately familiar with. Adding or removing pedals seems like asking for trouble to me.

Not to mention the fact that you'd now have a bunch more individual pieces to carry around rather than one nice, solid, hard-mounted pedal board with cabling already locked down.
+1 this exactly!

chris

Legend!
will/does anyone actually bring different pedalboards/setup per gig?
I do. Different bands, different needs. Before the FM3, I would take the Axe3 and FC12 for a big band, the Axe3 and FC6 for some Solo gig with a lot of looping (cleaner cable setup but more to carry), AX8 and MC6 for a solo gigs with a lot of walking (all fits in one rolling suitcase), AX8 only for duo gigs, and just a tuner for fast gigs where they want you to plug and play acoustic only.

With the FM3, I can keep the same base unit and just bring the additional controller when needed. It’s great.

Top Bottom