• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Only 3 Switches? What were they thinking?

ksandvik

Experienced
And as mentioned we could get Boss (and other) small foot switches for cheap on ebay. Only issue then is visual indication, either on the foot switch, or on the display, that a certain mode is active.

Tones2

Inspired
And as mentioned we could get Boss (and other) small foot switches for cheap on ebay. Only issue then is visual indication, either on the foot switch, or on the display, that a certain mode is active.
I agree about the visual display but I feel like that is certainly going to be there. Big news is that id can function exactly like an on board switch so you can get it to control things like tuners and Scene 1&2 toggle, which people were indicated could not be done with the FC6.

Handyman

Inspired
I never paid attention to the foot switch LEDs with my AX8 and just looked at the screen. I'm assuming the FM3 display will be at least as useful as the AX8 for communicating the state of my preset.

I'll just map the external buttons to something easily noticeable on the screen.

Anyway, thanks to the Fractal engineer who is making the external button functionality totally generic. You just saved me $480!

Tones2

Inspired
+1.

If you want dedicated to specific functions (e.g. tuner, tap tempo, boost, etc.) than a simple external switch will work fine.
Scene 1&2 TOGGLE is what I was really after, which was not available on the AX8 or FC6 for external switches. But now having an external switch do ANYTHING that an on-board switch can do is a HUGE deal, at least to me. :)

Tones2

Inspired
I never paid attention to the foot switch LEDs with my AX8 and just looked at the screen. I'm assuming the FM3 display will be at least as useful as the AX8 for communicating the state of my preset.

I'll just map the external buttons to something easily noticeable on the screen.
With Scene 1 & 2 toggle assigned to the 3 function buttons, the AX8 has no indication of which scene it was in except for the LED buttons. The external switches on the FM3 may act like the function buttons on the AX8 where there is no screen indicators. I'm guessing that there will be a way to see the state of scenes however.

ksandvik

Experienced
Yes that's where I'm hoping for a possible large screen big text showing the scene number, if nothing else, for a short time after activating, this will help when navigating on a busy scene doing live music.

bchulse

Inspired
After seeing the video of Marco playing with the FM3 side by side
with the FC-6, the modular concept started making a lot of sense.
Small footprint when necessary, expandability when desired.

Handyman

Inspired
With Scene 1 & 2 toggle assigned to the 3 function buttons, the AX8 has no indication of which scene it was in except for the LED buttons. The external switches on the FM3 may act like the function buttons on the AX8 where there is no screen indicators. I'm guessing that there will be a way to see the state of scenes however.
I usually dedicated the AX8 buttons 1-3 to scenes 1-3. It would highlight the selected scene on the screen. But ya, there' wasn't a scene indicator other than that on the screen.

unix-guy

Legend!
Assuming it's the same as Axe Fx III the scene name and/or number is displayed along with preset info on the main display.

Also, the toggle feature allows ANY 2 scenes to be toggled - you define primary and secondary.

E.S.

OK - External switches can do anything the "local" switches can.
I'm wondering how many of these functions could also be triggered via a MIDI foot controller (e.g. sending Program Change)? Channel and Scene switching? Tuner? Tap tempo?

If so, the 2 pedal inputs of the FM3 could be used for a volume- and an expression-pedal, rather than external switches ;-)

Stratman68

Fractal Fanatic
The Boss F6 (2 pedals in one) has LEDS so you know whats active and it's 2 ext pedals. Only downside is you need a battery. I have used mine in my home studio for ages. AS long as I remember to pull out the input cable the battery lasts for months and months.
I have a multitude of those Boss Fs-5L and FS-5U pedals also. The latching pedals (FS-5U also have an LED.

Top Bottom