Online music degree programs, marone a mia!!!

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
Musicians institute is hosting an online zoom webinar tonight I signed up for. Naturally, 2 hours before the webinar someone called me 😂 to see if I had any questions.

Sure. Biggest question is HOW MUCH?

Answer was over 7k a quarter. Close to 30k a year for online study.

Needless to say, this is a bit more than I want to pay and I’m not sure how much value I’d get for the money.

Certificate program will set me back 30k and an associates is around 45. Not sure what that’ll do for me, especially considering it’s online study so I’m not really networking. Sure I’d get the knowledge and the benefit of group and one on one virtual study but it seems a bit……… overpriced.

Anyone been? Anyone doing/did something cheaper? Loved it? Hated it?

That’s crazy. Especially given how much you can realistically expect to recoup working as a musician these days. My friends who have gone on to study at the graduate level have all had to take jobs unrelated to music to supplement. I can’t image starting $30k in the hole. I was pissed at my parents when they pushed me away from music and into a software engineering field so many years ago. Now I think I owe them a beer.

That’s crazy. Especially given how much you can realistically expect to recoup working as a musician these days. My friends who have gone on to study at the graduate level have all had to take jobs unrelated to music to supplement. I can’t image starting $30k in the hole. I was pissed at my parents when they pushed me away from music and into a software engineering field so many years ago. Now I think I owe them a beer.
A hell of a lot more than a beer

Reading reviews of MI, it’s not favorable. It appears it’s not an accredited school so your credits there won’t transfer anywhere. Not many good reviews at all. I ended up not even bothering with the zoom meeting.

Everyone I know who went to Berklee is also doing something else for money. 2 in particular became lawyers.

Musicians institute is hosting an online zoom webinar tonight I signed up for. Naturally, 2 hours before the webinar someone called me 😂 to see if I had any questions.

Sure. Biggest question is HOW MUCH?

Answer was over 7k a quarter. Close to 30k a year for online study.

Needless to say, this is a bit more than I want to pay and I’m not sure how much value I’d get for the money.

Certificate program will set me back 30k and an associates is around 45. Not sure what that’ll do for me, especially considering it’s online study so I’m not really networking. Sure I’d get the knowledge and the benefit of group and one on one virtual study but it seems a bit……… overpriced.

Anyone been? Anyone doing/did something cheaper? Loved it? Hated it?
the recommendation for tim miller’s video lessons is worth checking out.
But the question is, what are you looking to get out of a music degree?

the recommendation for tim miller’s video lessons is worth checking out.
But the question is, what are you looking to get out of a music degree?
Structured learning. A regimented path of coursework.

I doubt it'll open many/any doors already not open for me. I'm pretty happy with my gigging schedule, I'm too busy as it is. Online study I wouldn't even be networking. Really just want to increase my knowledge. For 45k I can probably hire Tony McAlpine to play all my gigs the rest of the summer lol.

Everyone I know who went to Berklee is also doing something else for money. 2 in particular became lawyers.
Yeah, but a lot of Big Time players also went to Berklee. Fact is, only a small fraction of musicians "make it", regardless of schooling.

Maybe you should transcribe a bunch of Zappa tunes ;)

Structured learning. A regimented path of coursework.

I doubt it'll open many/any doors already not open for me. I'm pretty happy with my gigging schedule, I'm too busy as it is. Online study I wouldn't even be networking. Really just want to increase my knowledge. For 45k I can probably hire Tony McAlpine to play all my gigs the rest of the summer lol.
Agreed on the lack of networking online. It makes no sense. IF, you really wanted to learn and gain connections and life-long friends…then you might make an argument for a trek to Berklee or North Texas.

Agreed on the lack of networking online. It makes no sense. IF, you really wanted to learn and gain connections and life-long friends…then you might make an argument for a trek to Berklee or North Texas.
I'm definitely not at a point in my life where I can or would want to disappear for 3-4 years. The idea of online learning at my own pace appeals to me. The idea of coming up with many tens of thousands of dollars to do so does not appeal to me. Maybe I'll take a look at community college.

Yeah, but a lot of Big Time players also went to Berklee. Fact is, only a small fraction of musicians "make it", regardless of schooling.

Maybe you should transcribe a bunch of Zappa tunes ;)
Make it. Whats that mean anyway?

Full time musician? That means made it to some. No health insurance or savings? That might not mean made it to others. Really depends on the individual.

Very few poor folks are going to that school. Mommy and daddy are blowing shit tons of money on juniors dreams and didn't realize "you can be anything you want to be in the world" is just a bumper sticker and not very practical. I can only imagine the amounts of student loan debt some of these people are shouldering.

...Maybe I'll take a look at community college.
There's the smart move. You might be able to study locally at a community college and earn a certificate of some kind. Not exactly an associates, but maybe when they offer an intensive study 6-week summer course, you could devote your time to personal study.

TBH, my degree in environmental remediation geology never panned out because of the job interviews fresh out of college (job workload would have been ridiculously burdening for 2 years before advancement), so I scrapped my entire degree and worked in retail. (Serving the public's health needs was less stressful and the hours were better).

Just be prepared to spend an inordinate amount of time focusing on your study. (Avoid distractions like TV/radio, find a quiet place where you can think clearly and mediate on what you're learning.)

If perhaps you do choose to pursue a community college study course, please, when you find time, let us know how you're doing. Your work might just be something that someone else on this forum might wish to also consider, and your example might be an inspiration for them to imitate.

Back
Top Bottom