One technical problem I'm having with new II

bjjp2

Power User
When I'm on a preset for a bit and then I turn the Value knob sometimes I have to turn 2-4 times before it changes presets. Any ideas for fixes? Anybody else have this issue? Never had this with my Ultra.

Happens on mine too. Seems like a calibration or timing thing. Sometimes one click of the dial changes a patch and the next it might take 4 clicks. Seems inconsistent. However, with the new DIR and A-Z tabs I am rarely turning the dial. A couple of times I moved the dial and nothing, then momentarily later it registered and made the changes along with any additional changes I applied while thinking it was not responding.

Last edited:
Happens on mine too. Seems like a calibration or timing thing. Sometimes one click of the dial changes a patch and the next it might take 4 clicks. Seems inconsistent. However, with the new DIR and A-Z tabs I am rarely turning the dial. A couple of times I moved the dial and nothing, then momentarily later it registered and made the changes along with any additional changes I applied while thinking it was not responding.

Exactly!

that happens on my ultra sometimes when its overloaded. like when i got the computer hooked up and alot of stuff got on all at once

Presets don't always change over for me on the first turn of the value knob, either. Have never needed more than two notches, though. Wouldn't call it a "problem".

Presets don't always change over for me on the first turn of the value knob, either. Have never needed more than two notches, though. Wouldn't call it a "problem".

Me either. Not a big issue at all but thought I would confirm bjjp2's post.

Same thing happening to my unit. I emailed support and they said if it doesn't get better than maybe the "encoder" had to be replaced. It's not serious but can be annoying. I was trying to adjust one of the cut knobs and it wouldnt move at all!!!

Based on this thread, seems like they should check the parts here. Might be a common issue across many units?

Probably save the patches it's happening on and send them to Fractal.

Ron

It's not just patches, but when adjusting parameters also. It's a knob or hardware controller issue. Fractal will take care of us if it's an big issue. I'm not worried. I'm going to use it for a while and see if it gets better. If not, I'll send it in later.

WOW im having this exact problem as well! Good to know its not just mine.. Mine also sometimes goes back down a preset when going to the right with the know which should go up?? any of yours do that?

Heres the problems im having with it:

1. Scrolling through presets with the knob is inconstant (sometimes takes 1 click sometimes takes 2-4 to go to next preset)

2. Scrolling up through presets slowly (turning know to right) sometimes causes the axe fx to jump down a preset (as if i turned it to the left) instead of continuing to go up

What it 'sounds' to me like is that there is an effect, amp, or cab that is taking over CPU that would otherwise be taking care of housekeeping tasks (which is what adjusting parameters would be relegated to as not to interfere with output...)

That is my guess. It would probably help Fractal to narrow it down to any specific amps, etc. All I was saying. Just 'seems slow dialing changing presets' is kind of hard to nail down.

But this is good stuff to iron out.

Ron

What it 'sounds' to me like is that there is an effect, amp, or cab that is taking over CPU that would otherwise be taking care of housekeeping tasks (which is what adjusting parameters would be relegated to as not to interfere with output...)

That is my guess. It would probably help Fractal to narrow it down to any specific amps, etc. All I was saying. Just 'seems slow dialing changing presets' is kind of hard to nail down.

But this is good stuff to iron out.

Ron

Ill document it when it happens next with me. I think when it's popped up I was in a patch and messing around and never saved any changes then went to change presets. Heck, I can't remember. Of course now I won't be able to recreate it! :)

Sounds like dirty encoders. If it really annoys you, you can send it in and we'll replace the encoder.

Not annoying at all for me and certainly not worth the effort of shipping back and taking you guys away from getting others their units. It's all good.

Sounds like dirty encoders. If it really annoys you, you can send it in and we'll replace the encoder.

Hi Cliff, I take it from your comment that the encoders are "contact" type and not "optical", meaning that they have two physical switch contacts that make and break as you turn the knob. For those that are interested, the two contacts are arranged is such a way that when you turn the encoder shaft they create two overlapping pulses called A & B pulse. The pulses look like this if you connect them to a scope:

A Pulse __i--i__i--i__i--i__i--i__
B Pulse _i--i__i--i__i--i__i--i__

As you can see the two pulses are off-set, this enables the processor to determine the direction that the knob is being turned and it simply counts up or down. For instance if Pulse A is OFF and pulse B switches ON then we must be going clockwise etc. Generally in a "contact" type encoder the tactile click that you feel is the contact itself so the count should match the click but this is not always true. Some encoders have a dummy click mechanism for better tactile feel and the clicks on the dummy mechanism do not always line up with the actual contacts (this is because you can get encoders with different count values per rev that use the same click mechanism). The result is that you may well get changes that do not match the clicks. Obviously I have no idea what type of encoders are being used here but sometimes it's good to know how things work :)

Before you all rush your units back to fractal I wold give it a few weeks of operation as sometimes the encoder contacts need time to "bed in" as the contacts may still have a little residue on them from the manufacturing process. I have a Johnson Millennium 150 with encoder pots and it does the same thing if you don't use it for a while, but comes good with a bit of use ie. "Use it or loose it" :)

One last thing, before someone asks "why use encoders instead of traditional resistance pots?" Encoders allow the value of the controlled parameter to be changed by external sources ie. when you change patches, without having to change the position of the encoder to match. The encoder code simply adds or subtracts from the existing value when rotated.

Cheers S ( o )===:::

Last edited:
Arrow up and arrow down are full proof for scrolling through presets and take a finger rather than a finger and a thumb:D

Back
Top Bottom