One Tattoo?

Tattoos have never and were never simply a signal of a non-conformist. I will admit their reputation has in the past was that people with tattoos are bad news, but that was, is, and always will be a myth. Tattoos have been around for thousands of years, yet you seem to be annoyed that what you think their meaning has had to society has changed over the last 50 years. That is very strange to me.

I'm not annoyed at all, it's actually rather amusing. People cover themselves in ink, get a few obvious piercings and then bemoan that society responds to their modifications in a negative way. If you are in a field where no one cares, great have at it. I'm still pretty certain most people prefer their cardiologist, dentist or attorney not sport visible ink. In the end, certain modifications limit your upward mobility options in society, if your ok with it, I'm ok with you doing whatever you want.

I think getting a tattoo is a personal choice, and one I could care less about. I am far more about what is on the inside of a person than what is on the outside.

I'm not annoyed at all, it's actually rather amusing. People cover themselves in ink, get a few obvious piercings and then bemoan that society responds to their modifications in a negative way. If you are in a field where no one cares, great have at it. I'm still pretty certain most people prefer their cardiologist, dentist or attorney not sport visible ink. In the end, certain modifications limit your upward mobility options in society, if your ok with it, I'm ok with you doing whatever you want.

I don't bemoan anything and I don't know anyone who does- other people are mostly curious about the ink.

Occasionally I've had people express opinions about my body-art without me asking for it.
I just put that down to them being rude and judgemental.

I wouldn't criticise anyone's appearance - it is unnecessary and seems to infer a certain unhappiness in the person doing the criticism.
Life is way too short to worry about such things.

Regarding 'upward mobility'- perhaps this is true in your country but here in Europe people tend not to worry about things like that to quite the same degree.
I have a friend who is a QC and has a full back tattoo.
My wife has a senior director role for a pharmaceutical company and she has a huge tribal tattoo on her leg and butt.
If you want body art and still need to keep it discrete then there are a lot of body parts than remain hidden.

All I'm saying is how society views tattoos has changed many times and it's really a matter of how far back you want to go. Sure, if you want to go back 100 years, European based societies have viewed tattoos as bad/wrong, but go back further and you'll find that they were badges of honor. Go all the way back to the ancient egyptians and they were associated with royalty. This notion of ink = rebel/badass is relatively new and I don't subscribe to that thinking. Therefore, I don't subscribe to the new line of thought that people with tattoos are trendy.

I'm sure some have significance to their entrepreneurs, and regard that. Most are more similar to lasting cosmetics or t-shirts. I'm sure someone is wearing a Fractal body art.

If you are going to stop at one, at least cover all your bases.

this-guy-loves-boston-sports-tattoo.jpg

TRUE STORY: I have a female classmate of mine that got the following Tramp Stamp ....

"Venni Vetti Vecci"

By the way, I'm 52 years old .... Is that really what you'd want to see on a woman of the same approximate vintage ?

I don't .... But maybe that's just me ?

I actually got four so far. Sometimes I forget haha!
A friend of mine is a great tattoo artist, so I get all mine for free :)

Back
Top Bottom