One second delay between scenes switching

guitartripp

Inspired
It's funny, I actually talked to M@ yesterday about how awesomely seamless the scene switching is in the II/XL. After making some updates, and switching from Scene 1 (which is clean) to Scene 2 (distortion), I'm finding that there is a nearly 1 second delay! I haven't been 'live switching' scenes since I received the XL a few weeks ago, but am practicing for a rehearsal now and realized it's doing it!

My Scenes use ONE amp block, with X/Y state amps. I'm actually using the SAME amp (USA Lead xxx) for clean and lead, but it's just switching settings on it (similar to if I were using a multi-channel amp).

All the IA switches are fast, and my CPU usage is less than 88%. At first I had Axe Edit running, then completely disconnected the XL from USB, and it still does the exact same thing.

Anyone else have this issue?

If I use two amp blocks, it's even worse... already tested it...plus my CPU usage goes up. I'm quite sure that with the II and V12.xx I never had this issue.

I tested the preset you sent me on the XL and scene changes are instantaneous.
Are you sure you're not hearing the delay tail ringing over and obscuring the change from drive to clean?
Or maybe you added that Send/Return contraption and you're creating a feedback loop which is somehow destabilizing the preset?

Last edited:
M@, I actually created my preset like this: and then saved it to another preset location and removed the FXL/SND/RTN, to no avail...

I also removed Amp 2...

ScrCpt.jpg

and actually my latest update has the SND up on the top Right output just after the Delay (but that doesn't matter with the preset where I deleted it entirely). I can forward you the preset this afternoon...

If I go from Clean (Amp1 USA Lead 'X' State) to Distortion (Amp1 USA Lead 'Y' State) I hit the Scene 2 on the MFC, then hear a pronounced change as I should, but it takes about a second, and vice versa. When going from Scene 1 (clean) to Scene 2 (distortion) EVERYTHING except the Amp and Cab get bypassed, as Scene 2 is just my rhythm. When I go back to Scene 1, the Compressor/Chorus/Delay all kick on.

Unfortunately I did not backup the preset yet, so I'll have to wait till 5CST to send it to you.

My Scenes use ONE amp block, with X/Y state amps. I'm actually using the SAME amp (USA Lead xxx) for clean and lead, but it's just switching settings on it (similar to if I were using a multi-channel amp).

If I go from Clean (Amp1 USA Lead 'X' State) to Distortion (Amp1 USA Lead 'Y' State) I hit the Scene 2 on the MFC, then hear a pronounced change as I should, but it takes about a second, and vice versa.
M@ knows way more about this than I do, but I thought X/Y switching was not instantaneous, and I don't think it ever was meant to be.

From what I know, to do an instantaneous (no delay) change, you need to use 2 amps, one set to the clean sound, the other to the distortion settings, then switch the bypasses to allow only one amp to output at once. What bypass mode you use depends on whether you put the amps in parallel (as you have drawn) or series.
My understanding is that you cannot do seamless X/Y switching.

Parallel amps are specific for testing a Harmonizer....that 2nd amp is not used. It doesn't matter if it's even there or not. My assumption is that the reason for X/Y states is to allow faster switching as well as reducing the CPU usage.

To set the record straight...would it be faster with X/Y, or two amps?

Unfortunately I had some other plans pop up tonight so I cannot test till tomorrow evening.

M@, I turned the delay off as well...I went through and bypassed everything so it was just amp x switching to amp y...all effects blocks still in their place though. I'll start tomorrow with removing blocks one at a time. I do have the preset that I'll upload first thing in the morning...your uploaded shows an exclamation and won't let me upload, so I'll put it on my website...

X/Y switching only takes a few millilseconds. Something else is wrong.

Instead of removing blocks, try the reverse. Build a fresh preset with just one amp and cab and check XY switching in scenes.

Two amps is the way to get "seamless" transitions. Changing x/y will have some amount of dropout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two amps is the way to get "seamless" transitions.

Yes, or use scene controllers if the amp type doesn't have to change.

As Cliff writes, the gap when switching between X and Y is really minimal.
I tested this just now with a low CPU preset as well as a high preset CPU.

Must be something else going on...

Last edited:
Are you looking at an effect block when you are doing this? If that is the case, hit Recall and try it. The scene switching delay is more noticeable for me when looking at blocks while editing a preset.

not so long ago I found that I had a nasty gap when changing scenes...
interestingly it was only to/from some scenes, but not between all them..
I made a copy of the preset and systematically took it apart [replacing an fx block with a shunt and retesting] until I found the culrpit..

in my case, the culprit was the delay in series switching to the Y side in just one scene
although I didn't need / want it to switch X-Y, it was a left-over from an earlier preset [I copied to form the basis of this new one]
X-Y switching the delay is slow.
IIRC, even when the delay block was muted in both the current and target scenes, the X-Y transition still cut the audio
so... when the delay is in series, and I X-Y switch, I got a much larger break in the audio than with just X-Y switching the amps

my rule of thumb became..
If I absolutely need to X-Y a delay block, it must never be placed in series.

OP - I notice from your pic that you have:
- a delay in series
- it is Y side and so I'd imagine you are X-Y switching it

experiment: replace this delay with a shunt and see if you still experience this large inter-scene audio drop

Back
Top Bottom