One Reason to love full FRFR Rigs - portability

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I run a full FRFR rig and have since 2007. I was a hardcore tube amp tone snob (and proudly so) for many years.

One thing that isn't discussed much about FRFR setups with modelers is the portability of the rig.

It's a wonderful thing to have all your needs in one rig and have a system for working with it. I have to pack up and have the whole rig moved around usually (counting rehearsals) 3-4 times a week, every week. It's a lot of tear-down, packing up, transport, unpacking, setup and then repeat every week. Week in, week out.

This is how I roll (literally). This is from last weekend's weekly P&W gig; but it's essentially the same with my rock/country band at clubs or rehearsals. (Though I only use the Hearback system at Church; on the gig with Laura (or whatever band I am filling in for) I run direct from my processor out to my powered monitor and let the FOH guy do his thing with my direct feed.

A lot of guys ask what do I do with the modeler, is it accessable for changes on the fly. I don't need access to mine. I set the output level on it out to FOH so he is happy, then it's all midi controller and expression pedals. I control everything from there - wet/dry mixes, turn things up and down, solo boosts, etc... all with my feet.

FYI, I use a Fractal Axe-FX II, controlled by a Fractal MFC-101 midi controller, (3) Mission Engineering expression pedals and my monitor is a RFC NX 12-SMA.

When I have to carry sound from the stage with a backline amp, I throw my speaker stand in my backseat on the floor and then use that on the gig with the same monitor you see mounted on the stand. It works great. I like it about shoulder high in back of me most often when I have to run that way. I prefer to use my monitor in front as a monitor though and let FOH do its thing whenever I can.

I'll do this in pictures.

From the car:

IMAG0505.jpg

To the micro cart:

IMAG0500.jpg

To the stage (this is my weekly P&W gig):

IMAG0491.jpg

Behind the screen (4-space SKB is mine):

IMAG0497.jpg

Little closer:

IMAG0495.jpg

I don't expect picture essays, but how do you run/transport/setup your FRFR rigs?

Great point scott - and it's really a blessing for lazy arses like me :lol
Most times, I can just walk with the axe in a 3U case, send a signal to FoH, and be content. If it's a bigger show, I walk with a FRFR solution...depends on how big the show is, or how lazy I feel. Sometimes I'll walk with some 112 units in stereo, and sometimes, just a little unit with a couple 6" speakers. The nice thing about it all is that it sounds great thru them all. I usually walk with an eq, so I can make on the fly adjustments, but many have mentioned that it's not needed. Most of the time, it isn't, but it's nice to know I can reach out and grab a knob or slide a fader.
My approach is to get the patches to sound good at loud volumes thru a couple different FRFR setups - then I know that FoH will be getting a nice sound. It's up to them really after that to find any offensive frequencies that are venue specific. I normally remove what I consider offensive frequencies with a PEQ when I'm tweaking patches (at volume), and from experience, I know where to chop off the lows and the highs, so FoH often just slides up my faders and smile - nothing left to do really with my sound, and they're off to fix the kick drum or something.
Fantastic that it can all be done, so easily, so quickly AND still sound great ;)

To me it's the features, not the rig size. A head/cab/pedalboard probably isn't goint to be much bigger. Your rig has a lot more to offer in connectivity and agility. Looks cool man.

BTW, is your MFC hanging off the left side of the PT?

For backline gigs, when you have the speaker on a stand behind you at shoulder level does it not cut the lugs off you?

I don't gig much anymore but when I do it's loaded in the back of my truck, SKB PS100 (Axe, GCP and EBJr's), Verve's, guitar, and power amp in an SKB 2 space.

To me it's the features, not the rig size. A head/cab/pedalboard probably isn't goint to be much bigger. Your rig has a lot more to offer in connectivity and agility. Looks cool man.

BTW, is your MFC hanging off the left side of the PT?

No. It's exactly even. The picture just makes it look that way.

Do you do any gigs without a soundman?

Yes. We do it from stage sometimes, not often, but you do what you do. Once you get my level right, everything is balanced from me. I do my own solo boosts, so I do not need anyone riding faders for me.

For backline gigs, when you have the speaker on a stand behind you at shoulder level does it not cut the lugs off you?

No. I don't stand super close to it if I can help it. If it is killing my ears, I could just lift it over my head. Honestly haven't need to do that thus far.

To me it's the features, not the rig size. A head/cab/pedalboard probably isn't goint to be much bigger.

Same here. With the addition of a FRFR wedge (I use an RCF 322A) I end up carrying more gear than I did before. I used to have a 20kg combo amp, a light pedalboard in a bag and a guitar, now it's the Axe in a 2 space rack, MFC + Expression pedals in a case, a 20kg FRFR speaker plus my guitar. The only time it is any more portable is when I'm 100% sure the monitoring situation at the venue can be trusted and I can leave the wedge at home. Even then, the cased axe and pedal board weigh pretty much what my old amp did. :)

If your previous rig was 2 x AC30's for stereo clean tones and a half stack with some outboard stuff for dirty, sure - you'll save heaps of space and weight and be downsizing considerably. If you're coming from a single combo amp and a FRFR speaker is now involved - not so much. As Scott's pictures show, it's still a car boot full of gear.

The advantage is that the contents of that car boot are now a lot more versatile!

Reactions: jon
Portability is my favorite part of my rig. I can carry the whole thing + a guitar in A SINGLE TRIP, which makes lugging it back and forth between practice with 2 bands much less of a chore.

I just ran downstairs to snap a photo with my phone for this thread. My in-ears are clipped to the side of the rack and that little bag is where I keep extra strings, tape, tools, store my LF and expression pedal, etc... The wireless I use in my cover band is in the monitor rack in the trailer, so that's not pictured. Also, I just realized I forgot to plug my cable back into the front of the Axe after last night's Tonelab LE experiment.

unpackedrig.jpg

Last edited:
I have a gator rack case with my Ultra (The II arrives Tomorrow), GT800FX, Furman, and Line 6 G50 velcroed to the top of the furman). I run output 1 directly to FOH and then output 2 into the Matrix channel A for my wedge (EV ELX112 passive). All controlled by my MFC. I also have duty on Keys for a few songs and run them directly to FOH (I have another EV ELX112 passive that I use for monitoring the keys, vocals using Channel B of the Matrix etc..). The other guitar player in my band goes direct to FOH as well, he is using an HD500 into a EV ELX112 powered.

Nice pics Scott.
Portability and Sound:
Have a 10" RCF ( price has gone up here in Europe by the way, 200 euros extra!) Axe/ MFC/ and .....a Steinberger!!

I have my AFX2 in a 2u soft case, the MFC with 2 mission exp pedals and an RCF ART 722-A. Only thing is: I'm a bit of a boy scout and like to carry backup cables, strings etc, so I carry a big plastic box with me, which makes the point of having an FRFR rig for ease of transport somewhat redundant. I also carry a 17" MBP i7 for backing tracks and MIDI preset changes.

^ sounds like me as well. I have a big bag of just about EVERYTHING.....from strings and cables, to midi controllers and direct boxes to preamps and mics. I have stuff I can use, the bass player can use, and the singer. I also used to walk around with a drum key - years as a bassist has taught me that no drummer EVER has a drum key.....EVER!!! :eek:

ALL kinda crap happens at the WORST moments just before/during a gig - learned that many many times the hard way....so it pays to be prepared!

I'm a bit of a boy scout and like to carry backup cables, strings etc, so I carry a big plastic box with me ...
Same here. I always travel with spare cables. Rather than carry a separate case I distribute them: cables in the rack box, strings in the guitar case, top E string and a tin of fuses on the pedal board.

Back
Top Bottom