One of the Most Powerful Controls in the Amp Block

Not necessary. Cliff's posts (regarding Axe-Fx) are documented in the wiki.
For example, the OP in this thread can be found here:
Amp block: parameters and dialing in - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Wow, thanks for reminding me of all the great work that you put into the wiki. Even though I know the wiki and have already found some fantastic stuff there, for some reason I tend to read more forum threads than wiki entries. Obviously a huge mistake.
Again, thank you yek for the good work!

In my use of it ive noticed If u increase the xfrmr match your able to slightly compress your signal and get rid of clipping without the need to lower your level in the amp block. Sometimes I like the vol I'm at just war to get rid of that clip. Few notches on xfrmr blk and your good to go.

Not necessary. Cliff's posts (regarding Axe-Fx) are documented in the wiki.
For example, the OP in this thread can be found here:
Amp block: parameters and dialing in - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Yes, no doubt the Wiki is an incredible piece of work and major contribution to the fractal community ... searching for "cliff:" in the Wiki will pull all of the quotes from Cliff that are related to the Axe (better than searching the forum since Yek has taken the time to eliminate comments from Cliff that don't directly relate to Axe details) but I can still see value is some sort of organized approach to categorizing comments from Fractal. Maybe even a dedicated forum - "Fractal Comments" with dedicated threads that only Fractal could contribute to on various topics. This way, if we want to read up on what Fractal has to say about Amp controls or something like that, there would be one place to go to. Not a big deal or complaint just a thought ... Fractal and this community do a great job as is in helping us all understand this amazing piece of gear better and everyone's efforts are much appreciated.

Reactions: yek
Wouldn't it be cool if there were a thread that only Fractal could contribute to that just listed little comments like this every now and then ... other threads could then be created to comment and discuss them ... but one clean thread with nothing but little axe-hits directly from Fractal would be great in my opinion ...

Agree , could this happen?
There are many tips like this that people like me would never know about otherwise.
It would enhance our enjoyment of the Axe to have more tips like this.

This has been one of my favorite tweaks for the last few revisions and when he says that a little goes a long way he isn't kidding. I almost go straight to this parameter and it almost always ends up at .996 for me. It's just enough to make it feel a bit looser when I play which just feels better to me.

Well, I do appreciate seeing what Cliff has to say in one place. Its very to-the-point. I know this is off topic, but yeks comment above about the WIKI got me reading about Input Trim in Smilefans section.

" * INPUT TRIM: A straight gain control at the Amp block’s input.

....I have used extreme amounts of ‘cut’ on some of my patches when used in tandem with a Synth block to tame the massive, fat signal generated by certain Synth settings."

I always got the impression that the input trim is simply a way to adjust input into the amps power section without affecting tone. So essentially if you want to go in "clean" you can turn down drive and compensate by turning up input trim, or if you want more fatness you do the opposite, at least that's how I've been thinking about it. Does moving the tone stack also help at all in going from dirty to clean or clean to dirty, as opposed to thin or thick I mean.

Last edited:
Please consider adding these kinds of notes to the manual. It'd be great if when a knob is explained, it says what it does and how it will sound.

Well, I do appreciate seeing what Cliff has to say in one place. Its very to-the-point. I know this is off topic, but yeks comment above about the WIKI got me reading about Input Trim in Smilefans section.

" * INPUT TRIM: A straight gain control at the Amp block’s input.

....I have used extreme amounts of ‘cut’ on some of my patches when used in tandem with a Synth block to tame the massive, fat signal generated by certain Synth settings."

I always got the impression that the input trim is simply a way to adjust input into the amps power section without affecting tone. So essentially if you want to go in "clean" you can turn down drive and compensate by turning up input trim, or if you want more fatness you do the opposite, at least that's how I've been thinking about it. Does moving the tone stack also help at all in going from dirty to clean or clean to dirty, as opposed to thin or thick I mean.

Input trim = the signal into the amp block. It increase or decreases the signal level into the input of the amp block (like an absolutely clean boost before the amp). It does the same thing as the boost switch but instead of being fixed at +12db, you can control how much it is boosted or cut.

Wouldn't it be cool if there were a thread that only Fractal could contribute to that just listed little comments like this every now and then ... other threads could then be created to comment and discuss them ... but one clean thread with nothing but little axe-hits directly from Fractal would be great in my opinion ...

Already a Wish I submitted
Was not well enough received? Who knows.

Please consider adding these kinds of notes to the manual. It'd be great if when a knob is explained, it says what it does and how it will sound.

Actually, in thios case it is already there:

"XFRMR MATCH – Transformer Match is an extremely powerful parameter that sets the relative output
transformer primary impedance to determine how easily the power tubes are driven into clipping. Higher
MASTER Volume settings result in a more pronounced effect. Increasing XFRMR MATCH causes power tubes to
clip sooner. Decreasing XFRMR MATCH causes power tubes to clip later and therefore the phase inverter and
grid clipping becomes more predominant. At higher settings, the resonance settings on the SPEAKER page of
the AMP block will be more pronounced. For optimum results bring up the MASTER until the desired amount
of power amp distortion is achieved, then adjust matching until the character of the distortion is as desired.
The various LF and HF resonance parameters interact strongly with this parameter so be sure to experiment
with those as well when crafting a tone."

I almost go straight to this parameter and it almost always ends up at .996 for me. It's just enough to make it feel a bit looser when I play which just feels better to me.

.996 is where I too almost always end up lol....a little either way is a lot for sure.

Try it around 0.90 - I do not drop lower than 0.875, but I do lower it depending on the amp. More gain + lower MV = Less effect from the transformer match anyway.

It pulls some of the 'hardness' out and allows it to 'thump' more and with more authority. Personal taste thing; I don't feel the 'need' to adjust it, but sometimes I 'want' to.

Last edited:
Try it around 9.00 - I do not drop lower than 8.75, but I do lower it depending on the amp. More gain + lower MV = Less effect from the transformer match anyway.

It pulls some of the 'hardness' out and allows it to 'thump' more and with more authority. Personal taste thing; I don't feel the 'need' to adjust it, but sometimes I 'want' to.

I'm guessing you mean 0.9.

Back
Top Bottom