One of my fav features is unusable

Heavyplayer

Experienced
Anyone here use the TMA block? It has really changed it adds (room reverb) and has become unusable to me. I used this a lot in fw 9, and even though it seems like it might do a better job that unwanted room reverb doesn't sit well, and can't be dialed out.

I noticed too. No matter how I had the TM block set, or how good the quality of the sound file I was trying to match was, I couldn't get rid of the reverb like sound.

I had made some sound clips (Wave files) of my favorite 9.02 patches so I could use them for TMing if 10.00 killed my tones (it did). The files are just a single track of rhythm playing with the tone completely dry. I tried doing several TMs last night with them, but all the results were pretty unusable.

Last edited:
Yea...I also tried a bunch of TM's and it made it seem far away. I guess it's a reverb sound...whatever it it....something isn't right IMO

Completely unusable here too. Just like FW 10 in general. Pantaloons of the highest proportions. Gonna be downgrading to 9.2 tonight and it'll be the last time I'm messing with firmware.

Glad I saw this; I have a ver 9 TM patch I like that didn't sound right with FW10. When I tried to redo it, I didn't like the
results either. I assumed it was "me" (because...it usually IS "me").
I also had some weird situation where after messing with several patches in AxeEdit, the Axe would change
patch numbers on the display but didn't change the sound at all as though it were stuck on the same patch internally.
Rebooted the Axe eventually and this issue resolved.

I'm sure this stuff will get sorted out and TM will work as expected in the next point release. FW10
sounds great to me, can't wait to recreate my own TM patches again using FW10 as a base.

There are not many companies that are this responsive and kick this much ass. It's not being overlooked either and the vast majority of us sincerely appreciate it. Thank you fractal folks.

and it'll be the last time I'm messing with firmware.

Promise? Please.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. You've got a unit here that contains 50+ years of musical instrument history. Which gets updated frequently, for the better and for free. Even with extensive beta testing, there are bound to be some bugs. History shows that these issues are fixed very very quickly. Often within a week or less (major issues). Furthermore, history also shows that most issues reported after a firmware upgrade originate from user error (not in this case though).

I don't what job you have, but I hope for you that your boss isn't as unforgiving when you make a mistake or overlook something.

I learnt something valuable in my profession long ago: it doesn't matter if mistakes are made, it matters how there are solved.

Completely unusable here too. Just like FW 10 in general. Pantaloons of the highest proportions. Gonna be downgrading to 9.2 tonight and it'll be the last time I'm messing with firmware.

Hi Jonny,
this is not directed at you, just a general point - my profession is about developing software for governments, banks, etc, so let me share some insight - this is meant to be helpful, not a rebuke

with Fractal you are in an adult-to-adult relationship with the software producer, whereas.. with Microsoft, adobe, Avid, IK, and Apple especially, the relationship is Adult-to-child, They treat you like you will sue or cause a large publicity issue unless everything is predictable and completely "safe" and unsurprising. To accomplish this, they reduce the number of releases per year, and are way more conservative with what they try to roll out. This is THE way with big corporate stuff. (Mind you, I no longer download any iOS update until it's version x.01, they seem to have bugs in every new major version)

With Fractal, they pull out every stop, and release as quickly as they can - this is a custom shop in effect, but the caveat is, and it could be more clearly articulated - for each update, the firmware changes a huge amount, and no one should just look on this as an upgrade like the latest point release of word or outlook. You will need to verify / update every patch, and this should be planned into your time-scales.
In places I work, any upgrade from even a big-time supplier is run through weeks of tests in pre-production before anyone uses it for paid work or work on live systems. Too risky otherwise.
Fractal basically says "here, this is ready to try, but be aware this really changes the sounds of existing patches" - so I would say, leave it 6 months or 3 months if you are playing live or doing sessions, and cannot spare the time to verify your patches - any software upgrade from any company is always disruptive, but Fractal doesn't baby us, and tries to put as much as they can in each release - I recognise a labour of love when I see it.

Since I got my AF2, every FW release has improved, but I think you should try to avoid taking every single one unless you have enough time, or more than one AF2 - I have lived with v8 until now, for example,

This is like the tone fairies took your valve amp and pedal board away overnight, and did their best to make better tones possible - but the tough part is you have to go and tweak everything to get your new improved sound back out of the shiny improved rig

Moral is
For any software - don't get update fatigue, take the updates when it's convenient for you

This is like the tone fairies took your valve amp and pedal board away overnight, and did their best to make better tones possible

ROTFLMFAO :lol

This was epic, man. Cliff's now my tooth fairy!!! :twisted

[/runs for cover - possible ban...]

Promise? Please.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. You've got a unit here that contains 50+ years of musical instrument history. Which gets updated frequently, for the better and for free. Even with extensive beta testing, there are bound to be some bugs. History shows that these issues are fixed very very quickly. Often within a week or less (major issues). Furthermore, history also shows that most issues reported after a firmware upgrade originate from user error (not in this case though).

I don't what job you have, but I hope for you that your boss isn't as unforgiving when you make a mistake or overlook something.

I learnt something valuable in my profession long ago: it doesn't matter if mistakes are made, it matters how there are solved.

Exactly. I kind of look at it like there are two types of people in the world. Red light and green light. The reds get stuck in a cycle of focusing on the problem while the greens focus on how to remedy said problem.

Back
Top Bottom