One of my all-time favorite tones: Sting Me by The Black Crowes

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The intro of Sting Me by The Black Crowes (classic rock'n'roll in open G) is such a fantastic, classic rock tone.

And as I discovered today: real easy to recreate too.

Amp model
Deluxe Tweed, all default except Treble maxed and Drive between 8.00 - 8.50.

Guitar
Telecaster (or 335).

Cab
Here's the trick: don't use an IR of a Fender cab, use one of a Marshall 4x12. It makes all the difference. Stock cab #55 works fine for this tone.

Last edited:
Great song! We used to play it live in Austin on 6th street in my band Mercy Daze back in 2008. I used an Bogner Ecstasy back then (pre-Fractal days).

As noted above, you can pair many Fender amps with other cabs -- they sound good with greenbacks, In fact putting a Greenback in a Deluxe Tweed in real life is a great sound! I'm pretty sure Jimi used Dual Showman or Bassman heads with his 4x12 Marshall cabs at times...

Last edited:
Such a cool song. I always felt like the Black Crowe's were underrated. They played classic rock, but made it sound NEW.

I always felt like this was P90's...

I agree about the Black Crowes... such a great vibe.

I loved Humble Pie and the Crowes really carried on that 70's rock vibe in a great way.

The "Live At The Greek Theater" record with Jimmy Page is incredible too if you haven't heard it.

As noted above, you can pair many Fender amps with other cabs -- they sound good with greenbacks, In fact putting a Greenback in a Deluxe Tweed in real life is a great sound! I'm pretty sure Jimi used Dual Showman or Bassman heads with his 4x12 Marshall cabs at times...
I used to play a Bassman head. always paired it with Greenback loaded 4x12s and much preferred it over the usual 10s. Twin heads sound great through 4x12s as well.

I used to play a Bassman head. always paired it with Greenback loaded 4x12s and much preferred it over the usual 10s. Twin heads sound great through 4x12s as well.

Indeed. My go-to clean tone is the Double Verb into a Marshall 4x12 IR.

I agree about the Black Crowes... such a great vibe.

I loved Humble Pie and the Crowes really carried on that 70's rock vibe in a great way.

The "Live At The Greek Theater" record with Jimmy Page is incredible too if you haven't heard it.

I too have been getting into the Crows of late. Open G tuning very cool..

Confirmed, the best tube amp I ever had was a deluxe reverb overdone with mercury magnetics transformers and a g12h30 greenback 55hz speaker. Played like butter and nice breakup as soon as you got beyond 5 on the volume.

YES! That live album is what inspired me to start my 2008 band here in Austin (now defunct). We covered "Oh Well" and "Custard Pie" from it. I got hooked on Audley Freed from that -- go check out his two "Cry of Love" band albums -- amazing player, great tone.

YES! That live album is what inspired me to start my 2008 band here in Austin (now defunct). We covered "Oh Well" and "Custard Pie" from it. I got hooked on Audley Freed from that -- go check out his two "Cry of Love" band albums -- amazing player, great tone.

Thanks for that! I don't know how I never paid attention to Audley... but WOW!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audley_Freed

The intro of Sting Me by The Black Crowes (classic rock'n'roll in open G) is such a fantastic, classic rock tone.

And as I discovered today: real easy to recreate too.

Amp model
Deluxe Tweed, all default except Treble maxed and Drive between 8.00 - 8.50.

Guitar
Telecaster (or 335).

Cab
Here's the trick: don't use an IR of a Fender cab, use one of a Marshall 4x12. It makes all the difference. Stock cab #55 works fine for this tone.

Love black crowes, but never played open G nor Sting me. Made the patch and tuned to open G. Looked up in spotify and played along. Really COOL!!

Now i really want the backingtrack Yek :)

Reactions: yek
+1 on Audley and Cry of Love. If you like the Black Crows you'll dig'm. Audley is a monster player. I wish CoL would have done more.

Back
Top Bottom